[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Voltaire is an overrated piece of shit Prove me wrong >PRO
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: Voltaire2.jpg (2 MB, 1967x2567) Image search: [Google]
Voltaire2.jpg
2 MB, 1967x2567
Voltaire is an overrated piece of shit
Prove me wrong

>PRO TIP: YOU CAN'T
>>
Keep talking shit, lil faggot. U just jelly cuz u will never b in the western canon
>>
>>7617785
But you're right.
>>
Rousseau is the overrated one t b h
>>
Candide pisses me off because of how into Leibniz I've been. Voltaire makes himself like an idiot in an otherwise enjoyable book.
>>
>>7617791
Voltaire isn't part of the western canon, he was just a downer who happened to spend enough time in England to become recognised.
His philosophy is rather pathetic, especially Candine. Rip on real philosophers all you want, but at least provide a sincere alternative.
>>
>>7617785
He's was a cuck-tier liberal.

Worthless
>>
>>7617799
Even if you disagree with him at least Leibniz had integrity. Voltaire on the other hand was a poser trying to cash into the whole upper/middle class woe is me scene. He's a shitty Dorian.
>>
>>7617801
these plebs who shit on Voltaire as a philosopher when he was primarily just a man of letters

cmon you fucks try harder

Voltaire's essays and letters >>>>

Candide is tight tho, dat ending
>>
File: 1453092459539.jpg (15 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1453092459539.jpg
15 KB, 300x300
>>7617821
>Candide is tight tho, dat ending
Manichean hogwash m8
>>
Yes, I agree, op.

Candide was overplayed, Zadig was decent at best, Micromegas was great, Ingenu was his masterpiece imo, his Letters on England were great too, his Treatise on Tolerance was garbage and that's because Voltaire went overboard one too many time with the context.
>>
>>7617785
i still don't know why everyone thought candide was funny. five minutes into it, a princess gets gangraped. sad state of humor our culture has.
>>
>>7617797
How is he overrated?

>Reveries of a Solitary Walker
The first proto-romantic work in literature

>Confessions
One of the earliest form of auto-biographical work in literature

>Julie, or the New Heloise
Schopenhauer cited it as one of the four greatest novels ever written
Also very important for the development of novel in France

>>7617801
>>His philosophy is rather pathetic, especially Candine
>implying Candide is a philosophical work
Plus Voltaire was first and foremost a playwright and a poet
>>
Voltaire was a shitposter. Read his works, not many chances of finding rigorous arguments there.
>>
>>7617785
Found the German.
>>
File: vol5[1].jpg (17 KB, 170x289) Image search: [Google]
vol5[1].jpg
17 KB, 170x289
>>7618994
>>
>>7617785
He was an anglophile cuck-boy who was impressed with and defended their characteristic views of man and the universe. It's no wonder his books are kept in print.

take your pick:
https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/2833018-candide-ou-l-optimisme
>>
He is not known as a writer, his works were just another way to spread the liberal ideas of the cultural movement called "The Enlightenment". He had a big role in history and also a huge impact on the way a lot of societies work nowadays. He is just popular, not overrated.
>>
File: desade.jpg (52 KB, 366x488) Image search: [Google]
desade.jpg
52 KB, 366x488
best author to ever come out of france coming through
>>
>>7617785
>win lotto
>fuck bitches
>btfo every single one of your contemporaries
>be remembered in the western literary tradition as the wittiest man to ever live
Yeah, nah.
>>
>>7618788
>Schopenhauer cited it as one of the four greatest novels ever written
He was only right about two of them. The other two are pretty forgettable.
>>
>>7618788
Chateaubriand is far more influential in the history of literary Romanticism
>>
>>7618788
>>Confessions
>One of the earliest form of auto-biographical work in literature
It's almost like it's got the same name as that work by St Augustine more than a thousand years prior. Dumbass
>>
>>7620645
>St Augustine wants to pray the beauty of God and invites us to follow his example.
>Rousseau tells us about being horny when spanked.

Apart from the title, these books have few in common.
>>
>>7619642
not wrong
>>
He's goat, kill urself OP
>>
There is a wide amount of documentation stating that he was a human, not a piece of shit. Proved wrong :')
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.