[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Non-Anglophone /lit/izens: What is your mother tongue's Ulysses?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 6
File: tumblr_niqzm1gGBX1rf1jvro1_1280.jpg (922 KB, 1280x1734) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_niqzm1gGBX1rf1jvro1_1280.jpg
922 KB, 1280x1734
Non-Anglophone /lit/izens: What is your mother tongue's Ulysses?
>>
>French
Nothing that would be equivalent in both scope and experimentation, so... influence-wise? I guess it should be Céline's novels.
Because Beckett either shot straight into space or hasn't actually landed yet. (the wankton of academic junkprint doesn't count, no)
>>
I think Borges was a very innovative fellow. He never wrote anything longer than 15 pages tho
>>
>>7617668
zettels traum
>>
>>7617688
Really? Not Camus?
>>
>>7617688
Not Proust?

>>7617697
Not the Quixote?
>>
>>7617727
Quijote? I thought we were talking about modern authors.
>>
>>7617727
Cervantes' style is very different from that of Joyce, and Ulysses, both in form and content, is nothing like El Quijote.

Perhaps a good candidate would be Carlos Fuentes' La región más transparente, o José Lezama Lima's Paradiso.
>>
Grande Sertão: Veredas

t. Brasileiro
>>
>Norwegian
There aren't that many works similar or even similar-ish to Ulysses written in the Norwegian language, in my opinion. Literary modernism wasn't our forte. You could argue that Ibsen was quite ahead of his time, but I don't think that's the answer you want me to give you, so with that in mind, I nominate Jens Björneboe's Bestialitetens Historie.
>>
>>7617742
>>7617743

Okay, I guess we have somewhat different criteria in mind. (But maybe OP left it ambiguous on purpose.)
>>
>>7617814
By the Ulysses of our language I understand a book of epic scope, whose experiments with literary forms and language set it apart from other novels, and which conveys a sense of national identity.
>>
Odysseus

t. Homer
>>
>>7617717
Too conceptually focused, I guess? Did not come to mind.

>>7617727
Proust's influence doesn't extend to his use of the language - what Proust does is actually never considered acceptable outside of Proust.
>>
>>7617745
this

Spanish I think it's Paradiso or Tres Tristes Tigres
>>
>>7617668
>mother tongue's
are you German?
>>
I heard of a Finnish book called Alistans Parlor or something like that thats never been translated to english thats basically Finland's Ulysses.

Or maybe it was Polish.
>>
>>7617950
no
>>
me is gerrrrmeeeennnnnn
>>
>German - Musil
>English - Joyce
>French - Proust
>Italian - Pirandello
>Spanish - ????

Borges?
>>
>>7617997
pretty nice ones

anything but common stuff up your sleve?
>>
>>7617997
>comparing Musil to Joyce
Kill yourself. Arny Schmidt is the German Joyce, you dullard.
>>
>>7617997
>>Spanish - ????
>Borges?
Vallejo
>>
>>7618053

JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA
>>
>>7618058
>>>/int/hilo
>>
>>7618044
what about doblin's Berlin Alexanderplatz
>>
>>7617855
Can you explain what you mean about what Proust does not being acceptable?
>>
File: image.jpg (158 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
158 KB, 640x1136
>>7617965
I saw that thread too. Pic related.
>>
>>7617688
Perec

Polish fag here and i would say Leśmian or Schulz
>>
>>7617668
Something of Nabokov, most probably. I't say Invitation to Beheading.
>>
File: Dublin-Cityscape-Hero-1050x500.jpg (236 KB, 1050x500) Image search: [Google]
Dublin-Cityscape-Hero-1050x500.jpg
236 KB, 1050x500
but it IS Ulyssees OP
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (84 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
84 KB, 1440x1080
>>7618831
>In one famous scene, a character's journey to the mantelpiece to fetch a pipe is told in over seventy pages.
What is with Finns and fetching shit?
>>
>Serbian

Nothing. Yet. I am working on it. ;^)
>>
Mhmm, hard question; for Czech there are some more known things like Hrabal and Topol (especially City Sister Silver), maybe Švejk by Hašek (but that's more like Sterne's Tristram).

Personally I'd go with later works by Věra Linhartová (Dům daleko, one of the last things she wrote in czech, completely destroyed language, then she moved to France, start to write in French, and I heard that she recently felt like there's nothing more she could do with French, so she moved to Japan, but dunno if it isn't just some rumor).
>>
>>7618874

another serbian fag here, confirming.
we do have cool shit nonetheless.
>>
>>7617812
Ole Robert Sunde - Kontrapunktisk is probably the closest you get. Björneboe is a decent author but Bestialitetens Historie is nothing like Ulysses.
>>
>>7618876
>completely destroyed language
One of my literary dreams.
>>
>>7618876
>completely destroyed language

How does this work?
(Jak toho dosáhla?)
>>
>>7618889
Do to your mother tongue what Joyce did to English in Finnegans Wake.
>>
Someone should make a chart like this. Ulysses for other countries
>>
>>7618889
Not sure if you can read in Czech, but http://www.slovnikceskeliteratury.cz/showContent.jsp?docId=1496

>Sový rej, sovýrej, svírej. Těsněji. Patříte k sobě. Patříte zříce i náležejíce. Vzhlížejíce patříte vzhledem k sobě. Zoufalická líbeznaděj. Zříš je vyjdoucí - hlenesou pomazané hlavy. Jízvatební sezazdání. Patříte kosobě. Kosolebě. Mí svědkové, mí svědci, mí lenci poddaní.

And of course, she uses French (I saw there some old french too), English, Italian. Allusions to many books, etc.
>>
>>7618906
No něco takvýho bych radši ani nečetl.
>>
>>7617668
Chinese isn't actually my mother tongue, but I'd guess Soul Mountain by Gao Xingjian.
>>
>>7617668
german:

alleged contemporaneity of ideas: berlin alexanderplatz

the worthy heir: zettel's traum

as big in scope: der mann ohne eigenschaften

the small brother: leutnant gustl
>>
>>7618951
What about Broch? Die Schlafwandler and especially Der Tod des Vergil.
>>
Isn't Joao Guimaraes Rosa considered as the Portuguese Joyce, or something like that?
>>
>>7617668
>Turkish
>Tutunamayanlar (the ones who cannot cling)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tutunamayanlar
>>
>>7618960
thanks for reminding me why i come to lit...

i had forgot about broch, its been years since somebody mentioned him to me.

thank you!
>>
Probably this one. And it's even actually great.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alastalon_salissa
>>
Prae by Szentkuthy
>>
File: 1442838277947.jpg (4 MB, 4298x3165) Image search: [Google]
1442838277947.jpg
4 MB, 4298x3165
Sweden.

I don't think modernism ever even came here. All we had instead was shitty "Proletarian" and "Working Class" literature and realism. We basically went straight from realism to post-modernism without anything in between.
>>
>>7619093
Modernism did come to Sweden but only for poetry. I can think of a handful of Swedish modernist poets, but not a single modernist prose writer.
>>
>>7619102
A lot of the modernist poetry in swedish actually came from the Fenno-Swede modernists.
>>
>>7618967
The Brazilian Joyce, heh. You should check him out.
>>
>Lithuanian
I have no idea.
>>
>>7619128
Ha, I probably fucked it up, I meant it as he wrote in Portuguese, I knew he is from brazil. Haven't read him though...
>>
>>7619153
Start with Sagarana and then move to Grande Sertão: Veredas. If you're able to, read them in portuguese for maximum enjoyment. Anyways, just go for it, it's great nonetheless.
>>
>>7618827
convoluted sentence structures are a huge stylistic no-no in French
(that's for literature ofc, they can be mandatory in philosophy if your jargon isn't obscure enough)
>>
>>7617832
>>7617742

don quijote is often thought of as the first modernist book
>>
>>7617727
Quijote would be more like the shakespeare of the spanish world, id say.

I think borges is actually a pretty good pick.
>>
>>7619093
>All we had instead was shitty "Proletarian" and "Working Class" literature and realism

Interesting, tell me more (names/books).
>>
Who's the foreign Chaucer?
>>
>>7619836
Boccaccio
>>
Bouvard et Pécuchet.
>>
>>7619836
>>7619841
Both of whom were riffing on the French fabliaux.
>>
>>7619841
Stop with this shitty meme
>>
File: 1348876541647.jpg (2 KB, 125x119) Image search: [Google]
1348876541647.jpg
2 KB, 125x119
>>7619881
>Boccaccio
>a meme
>>
>>7619881
>he doesn't know that Boccaccio was a major influence for Chaucer

You're a fucking retard.
>>
Japan

Any Murakami
>>
>>7617668
>Johannes V. Jensen: The Fall of the King.
>Danish.

Challengers: Blixen's "Winter Tales" and Tom Kristensen's "Hærværk" (vandalism),
>>
>>7619093

False. Being swedish myself, I affirm we have few modernist writers. Check out works by Christoph Uck, his canon includes 'Good Night Somalia', 'Prepping the Bull' and a 'A Bull as a Young Man'. And many other wonderful stories
>>
>>7619822
The most famous proletarian writer would be Vilhelm Moberg who wrote the epic "Emigrants" series, about a poor Swedish family emigrating to America during the early 1800s. But there are many others like Fogelström who wrote the famous "City" series about the working class in Stockholm, Sara Lidman who wrote mostly about small town life in northern Sweden in the age of industrialisation and so on and so forth.

Proletarian literature was the dominating period in Sweden from 1940 - 1980 and it was all about accurate historical realism, social democracy, working class characters and so on.
>>
>>7617668
Alastalon salissa (At Alastalo's hall) by Volter Kilpi.
>>
>>7617832
Talking about italian lit, not modernist but isn't this basically the description of the Divine Comedy?
>>
Past Continuous. Hebrew.
>>
>>7620811
Is this the same Moberg who was republican?
>>
>>7623187
He's usually counted among the proletarian writers because of the settings in his books. Whether he's a "true" working class author or not is up for debate I guess.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.