[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What e-readers do you use? Should I just get a tablet? I like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 8
File: 41W8suHbXsL._SY355_.jpg (16 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
41W8suHbXsL._SY355_.jpg
16 KB, 355x355
What e-readers do you use? Should I just get a tablet? I like the idea of getting a device solely for reading, and the look and feel of e-readers are pretty nice. I'm particularly interested in the kindle paperwhite.

Do you pay for all of your ebooks? Can I load downloaded ebooks onto a kindle from my computer?
>>
>>7617177
Nah not a tablet, ereaders dont tire you eyes as much as normal tablets because ereaders dont emit light
>>
A tablet is not for reading for a reason. And just pirate everything.
>>
>>7617177
>What ereaders do you use
I use a kindle touch, and have had the same one for 6 years now. It is a wonderful piece of hardware. I would buy a Kindle Voyage 2 if I was being profligate, or a regular paperwhite if my touch broke
>should I get a tablet
I use my Ipad Air for PDFs. It is a great piece of tech since I dont sit at my pc all day. That said, I do 90% of my reading on kindle.
>Do you pay for all your books
libgen dot io, bookzz dot org, btdigg
>can I sideload
Use calibre to organize to convert and to transfer to your hearts content
>>
>>7617177

Kindle paper white is a powerhouse. Wifi connection, built in dictionary (touch a word, it's defined), oodles of space, weighs less than a breast, environmentally conscious, etc.

Do it.
>>
Paperwhite. Get a nice case for it as well. I use the official Kindle one. I find it makes it easier to hold and gives it more of a "book" feel.

Tablets are not appropriate for any sort of half serious reading.
>>
Thanks a lot guys, very useful replies.
>>
>>7617177

Where do you guys get your ebooks? I torrented a bunch a while ago and downloaded a few here and there, but the quality is all over the place. Some are 100mb PDFs of the book scanned in while others are 2mb perfectly formatted EPUB files. Anyone know a site where I can download EPUBs that are good quality?
>>
>>7618004
See
>>7617195
And the MASSIVE bibliotik thread up right now. Why are /lit/ casual browsers so unaware of pirating?
>>
>>7617177
I had a voyage but lost it, now own a paperwhite and its great, I did like voyage capacitative buttons
Also backlight makes e reader so much better than a book.

once you get a ereader go to mobilism forum (just serach book title .mobi on google and look for mibilism links) or go to #ebooks
>>
>>7618109
Site:mobilism.org in the search string, libgen is easier
>>
>>7618112
I don't think this still works - they recently made the search-function members only, I guess to keep the google bots out
>>
>>7618115
searching mbilism on google still works, atleast it worked couple of days ago
>>
>>7618102
>Why are /lit/ casual browsers so unaware of pirating?

For me, at least, a pack of books torrented from the Pirate Bay lasted me for years. I've recently gotten back in to reading and Google searches turn up the usual garbage. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, friend.
>>
in regards to mobilism, it's just an email verification away to use their search engine.
>>
>>7618102
>biblitik
thats a private torrent tracker, its out of reach for most people
>>
>>7618171
The thread has tons of side sources however
>>
>>7617177
I had an old kindle 3g for a long time, but it finally kicked the bucket. Now I have a kobo aura h2o it's pretty much bomb AF. Much more configurable than the kindle, though not quite as straightforward and foolproof. No point making comparisons though due to the several generation gap between the two devices.
Either I like the slightly larger size and the high res screen is great. Waterproof is nice too and takes a microsd card though I've personally never even filled up my old kindle.

Anyway I pirate all my books. Calibre is great, if necessary you can convert books though epub an mobi are both more or less ubiquitous so hardly ever a need to convert.

Main point for the kobo, if you're an american at least... Buy it from canada for dat exchange rate, it's cheap as fuck in real dollars. I ended up getting mine for like $120 shipped.
>>
>>7618219
>Buy it from canada
how? their site doesn't list usa as an option to ship
>>
>>7618237
Been a while but I think I got mine from Indigo. They ship to the US. Also benefitted from a 10% off deal for signing up with visa pay or some shit, but the exchange rate is even more favorable these days.
>>
I use a Kobo Aura, also bought some cheap ass cover off ebay. I use it because it uses epub, and that's pretty much it... I don't even pirate books. Not sure if I should get a Kindle next, or just stick with Kobo
>>
>>7617177
Tablet + piracy + dropbox. It is hard on the eyes but the only way to read PDFs and you don't have to use a usb connector and calibre like its early '03
>>
File: new-kindle.jpg (86 KB, 676x491) Image search: [Google]
new-kindle.jpg
86 KB, 676x491
So I bought the new kindle paperwhite.

Reasons why I like it:

1. Saves me a ton of money that I would have otherwise spent buying books.

2. definitely better than almost all other readers

3. Easier to handle than long books with bulky paperbacks

Reasons why I regret buying it:

1. However I recently realized that I have a library at my disposal and that makes my kindle kind of irrelevant. That's why I regret having bought it.

2. The page transition is shite. It's a good device but sucks for pdf.

3. I can't build up a collection of paperback books or ever sport a full shelf of the stuff I've read. It's all in one device now :/

4. Can't gift books to people either.

5. The feel of reading a paperback is gone. Feels like staying on just another electronic gadget.
>>
>>7618916
>I recently realized that I have a library at my disposal
D...did you only just realise that you have a local library? How does that even happen?
>>
>>7618916
So most of the downsides are just muh fee-fees? Sounds cool.
>>
>>7617177
Kobo glo. Only had it for a short while but shit's good. Have a couple of pirated books, but actually reading out-of-copyright stuff from the Gutenberg Project at the moment anyway.

Reasons for not going Kindle:
1. Britbong libraries have borrowable ebooks, but not in Kindle format, and I'd generally prefer getting things legally if possible.
2. Didn't really want to add to Amazon's empire given that an apparently equally good alternative was available for the same price.
>>
>>7618923

There's a library in my college. It initially had very very few books since my college is kind of small.

I almost never found my books there. So I bought a kindle.

Recently they had a large influx and now they're stacked with all kinds of books so it made my kindle irrelevant.

To OP: If you have a library at your disposal, don't bother buying a kindle.
>>
File: calibre.jpg (2 MB, 1492x2912) Image search: [Google]
calibre.jpg
2 MB, 1492x2912
I currently use a kindle paperwhite, but if I was on the market right now I'd get a kindle voyage.

I'm an expat, so I travel a lot. Having a library in your pocket, that reads like paper is a big deal. Wouldn't be without it.

Pic related is my current kindle library, displayed in calibre. Lots of manga on there at the moment.
>>
>>7618916
1. Irrelevant, reading on Kindle is easier, especially in the dark, and you don't need to go to the library.

2. Not really, and pdf without symbols can be read perfectly if you convert properly. And not like books are in pdf.

3. Irrelevant, saves money and space.

4. Yeah you can. Before you'd buy a book and give it to someone and you still can do that now.
>>
>>7618916
I like e-readers because it allows be to read all the books I could ever want in a great format, while allowing me not to have all the shit I read standing on my shelves. Now I just buy nice books that I really love; So I own a nice copy of Finnegans Wake but not a single A Song of Ice and Fire book. It cuts down on clutter, looks nicer and most of my physical books are there for a better reason than ['Wands n Wizards Rulez'].
>>
>>7618954
>especially in the dark
Do you live in a cave?
>>
>>7618952
Why is there so much fucking stuff? Don't you delete books you've already read?

And don't you find it too small for manga?
>>
One thing to watch out for is footnotes. I've had very limited experience, but it seems like some ebooks with footnotes actually have them formatted so you can touch the number in the text and see the note, and others... don't. Which is annoying.

Mind you, I downloaded the book I'm thinking of for free, and it also has the occasional spelling issue where a word hasn't transferred correctly (e.g. 'nnine' instead of 'mine'), so it may be because of that. Wouldn't be happy if I spent money to get it, though.
>>
>>7618952
>the passage
Anon...
>>
>>7618962
>Don't you delete books you've already read?
No, I move to a "collection" on the kindle for read books.

Except for manga, which I delete after reading because it actually takes up space.
>>
>>7618959
Not to mention that you don't have to display plebshit fantasy in your bookshelf or risk reading it in public when it's hidden on your e-reader,
>>
>>7617177
Love my Kindle Paper White...

Pros:
You can download many classics for free directly from the Amazon website. Unfortunately, they don't always include chapter links.

I enjoy the battery life, dictionary and wiki integration come in handy.

Like others mentioned its more pleasurable once you purchase a case for it that turns off the device upon closing. It's handy for travel.
I save space on the bookshelf by purchasing only first editions of my favorite books. Save all of the fluff for the kindle.
I enjoy the immediacy of purchasing a book and reading it.

I like that the New Yorker is automatically downloaded on Mondays as part of the subscription process.

Cons:
A pain in the ass to view other formats besides Kindle.
Still prefer the feeling of paper.
Need a Wifi connection to download books unless you get the 3G version.
You have to pay for ads to be removed.
Kindle book prices cost nearly as much as hard copy.

All in all, my situation is a hybrid giving me the best of both worlds. I save money with the Kindle and like the convenience.
>>
>>7619026
What ads? All I saw some book recommendations on the home screen that I could disable in the settings.
>>
>>7617177
>What e-readers do you use?
I've got your pic it's brilliant. I had the original Kindle Keyboard for 5 years prior until I sat on it last month and broke it.
>>
>>7619031
The ad-supported, slightly cheaper versions are only available in the US
>>
>>7619035
False.
>>
>Buy book
>Read a pirated version on kindle
There you go you faggots. You still get to have your trophies.
>>
>>7619041
Why would you bother pirating a book you already own?
>>
Got a Kobo Glo HD early this month (Kobo is the most popular here). Been reading a ton already. I hadn't read any books for a long time cause I didn't feel like going all the way to the library but now I found I really, really missed reading.

It's great. I kinda need to figure out what kinds of shit Calibre can do in combination with my device but so far it's been working pretty neat.
Only downside is that I notice the light flickering when it's set to <10%
>>
>>7619042
>bother
It takes seconds. And reading on an ereader is more comfy.
>>
File: kindle.jpg (557 KB, 1919x1081) Image search: [Google]
kindle.jpg
557 KB, 1919x1081
>>7619035
Nope, I bought one recently.
However I just sent a message to Amazon customer support and they removed the ads for me for free, because I couldn't use them anyway.

I live in Norway.
>>
>>7619042
It's for the people that want to read on kindle but still want to have the books they read on their shelf
>>
>>7619048
I don't understand, what exactly did they do? Are the ads on the home screen gone? Because those are the only ones I have after disabling the special offers things. And why couldn't you use them?
>>
>>7619053
I don't have ads when it's turned off nor on the home screen. I can't use them because the offers were limited to either US or UK, I forgot which. So even if I wanted to try kindle unlimited for a month or whatever they advertised, it was restricted and I couldn't.
>>
>>7619058
Huh, mine actually shows ads in my native language and just tells me to buy ebooks on amazon, which I guess I have access to as well as Unlimited. I'm guessing it's only for countries that don't have an amazon page.
>>
>be sitting on a bench at local park
>nobody's around, it's time
>grab kindle from a pocket hidden inside my jacket
>start reading first few sentences of Heilnegger, a famous philosopher suggested by 4chan
>suddenly a finger touches the screen
>an old woman asks what that was
>I politely start to explain the purpose of my device
>she puts her head between me and the kindle, snorts and says she can't see anything
>I explain to her this is normal because I'm reading a PDF
>she interrupts me mid sentence and asks if I can call her niece with it because she forgot to tell her to buy the aquarium stones
>she starts pressing the buttons but I pull the kindle back and tell her that's just to read books
>I try to reach for my nokia 3330 within my bag but by the time I found it she's already gone
>forgot where I was but whatever, start reading some Zarathustra
>"Ay yo, is that some call of duty"
>I raise my head and a person of color is coming toward me, a mobile tower, he's like 5'7"
>I proceed to babble something but he steals the thing from my hands and starts laughing at me
>a flock of people comes near the bench, staring at the device in the hands of the person of color
>they all start touching it, pushing all the buttons
>a kid wipes his nose on it but an old man steals it from his hands, pulls out his dick and start pounding it
>I can't take it anymore scream from the bottom of my lungs that it is a priceless artifact full of knowledge, it holds well over 600 books and they should let it go at once
>they go silent for a second then they all grab it firmly and pull it from all directions
>it shatters, going in 600 pieces
>everyone takes a piece and eat it until there's no more
>they all have an aura of light now and they turn to me, smiling
>"We are all part of you now. It's time to share the knowledge with the rest of the galaxy" they enunciate at once, then they fly off at light speed, leaving behind a white trail of wisdom
>I stare at the sky in desbelief and then head home
I didn't even know how to turn pages on that thing.
>>
>>7619041
Trophies?
>>
File: 1408787425550.gif (1 MB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1408787425550.gif
1 MB, 250x250
>Kindlw PW
>Can't have custom screensavers

Fucking why.
>>
>Pirate book
>Reading on an E-reader
>Enjoying it a lot, but there is occasionally a jumbled sentence or two. It's not the end of the world, so I keep reading.
>Get to last 25 pages, doesn't feel like it's close to an ending, but I figure it will just end up being a rushed ending.
>Get to last 5 pages, still no ending in sight.
>Get to last page, the book just stops in the middle of a sentence in the middle of a paragraph.
>Look online, the book is listed as being just under 700 pages.
>The copy I was reading was only 450 pages.
>Can't find another copy online, end up buying a physical version.

Serves me right I guess.
Always, always, always check to make sure the pirated copy of a book your reading is actually the correct length.
>>
>>7617177
I just got the pw3, little did I know there was no jailbreak that didn't involve a soldering job. But w/e, I can keep it unregistered and load my pirated books through calibre like I would have anyways.
>>
>>7620803
>always, always, always

Seems like a minor ordeal desu, better to read 450 pages than 0.
>>
>>7619240
I wish it let you have the cover of the book you're reading as the screensaver.
>>
>>7617195
Hey man just wanted to say thanks, one of those links just saved me $150. I was going to buy a textbook they had a pdf of tomorrow morning.
>>
I had a Nook as a gift, but I didn't really like it as much, just another device to carry. Might as well have a book.

What I prefer is phablet for on the go reading if a physical copy is impossible to find, or too bulky. I use an LG G3, and have the Moon Reader + app. It has some nice adjustable themes that are really easy on the eyes, and really flexible customization and other nifty features.

Plus it has a microSD card, so it's really easy to download/buy an epub/mobi/pdf on my desktop, pop in the card with an adapter and then put it in my phone. Or I can use the USB charge cord.

Just going ahead and using a larger phone is more useful than getting yet another object with a breakable screen or something you have to store. Plus they are less bulky than a tablet.

But overall I like the feel of pages.
>>
>>7620998
You can register and still load your calibre books. I mostly pirate but several times I did purchase books (google play and other online stores) and loaded them on kindle with no trouble.
>>
Okay so I've been wanting an ereader for a while and after reading this thread I've decided on getting one. Are there any good ereaders for 65$ or less? I live in a non-UK european country,
>>
Bought pocketbooks 8incher. Software is a bit clunky, sidelight is usable, but ugly, and cotrast is worse as in my 4th gen Kindle, but 8 inch is huge difference. It opened pdfs to eink for me.
>>
>>7621167
buy an older kindle used on ebay desu
>>
>>7621223

And risk broken screen in the future? Just check mobileread forums for european product. There is plenty of cheap alternatives now available with great screens. Could look and wait a bit for those new chinese eink screens. They should lower the prices a bit.
>>
>>7621223
>>7621248
This one is within my price range and you guys seem to know your shit. Is it worth it?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazon-Kindle-4-6-WIFI-eBook-Reader-with-1586-Books-/222001036131?hash=item33b04afb63:g:A3oAAOSwgQ9VpY-9
>>
>>7621257
For 45USD I would say no
>>
>>7621262
well dang I though I came across a deal even.It's 45GBP which I guess is even worse. Can you point me to some alternatives?
>>
>>7621281
http://glyde.com/buy/used-kindle

this shit looks better
>>
>>7621257

Check trekstor pyrus.
>>
>>7617177
I use a Kobo Glo. Pretty much anything that reads ePub (not Kindle) is a good option.

No, you should not get a tablet. They are backlit and harsh on your eyes. An e-reader is as close to paper as you are going to get on a digital device.
>>
>>7621121
Yeah but word around forums is that there is a jailbreak for 5.6.5 'on hold' until the next firmware update. And the damn thing will auto-update unless you're in airplane mode.
>>
>>7621288
holy shit this site is amazing. Do you know if they ship in Greece? I think you just solved all my problems anon.
>>
>>7621316
ah shit they don't just checked.
>>
>>7619026
Do you know what format the New Yorker is when it's downloaded to kindle? I can only find it in pdf, but would have assumed it was .mobi
>>
>>7619086
man you spent an awful lot of time and effort writing that and it wasn't even funny in the least. i feel kind of bad for you
>>
I got a Kindle Voyage for Christmas and I fucking love it. I use to borrow a Nook Glowlight from my mom since she never used it. I love the buttons on the side and the little vibration it does when you press them. The adaptive light feature seems a little slow to respond, so I turned it off. I do most of my reading in a fixed light level environment anyway. I hope someday soon there will be a way to jailbreak it without having to tear the thing open so I can have a custom screensaver. That's my only real issue with it.
>>
>>7621476
I doubt it took that long to write. At least you read the whole thing.
>>
>>7621489
>>7621304
>>7621121
I'm considering getting an ereader and have a bunch of epubs already that I'd want to put on it. Would a kindle (via calibre) work or do I need a Kobo?
>>
>>7621895
It works, but I'd advice on getting a kobo if it costs the same.
Kindle triggers my inner freedomfag.
>>
File: 68678686.jpg (46 KB, 970x702) Image search: [Google]
68678686.jpg
46 KB, 970x702
>Do you pay for all of your ebooks?
>>
How does the Kobo Glo HD do with pdfs? Is there any reader with an e-ink screen that's actually viable for pdfs?
>>
>>7622137
I had the Kobo Glo HD but returned it as non-official Kobo books look bad and the page turns are really slow.

It basically forces you to buy books. Avoid. Get the kindle. You can easily pirate and it handles pdfs well.
>>
>>7622140
epubs converted via calibre look better on kindle than the epubs put directly onto the kobo?
>>
>>7617200
>>7617263
it's shit
>no epub support
>cannot turn off backlight

kobo glo hd masterrace
>>
>>7622182
>no ePub support
click send to device as azw3
>>
>>7622175
no thats not even true
>>7622140
you're really too dumb to change your font settings?
>>7622191
it has as much to do with convenience as it does ethics.
>>
>>7622217
This guy is a Kobo shill. Avoid his opinions.
>>
>>7621476
It's a critique to people's social fears, of course a pleb like you wouldn't understand.
>>
>>7621049
Amazon could sell covers if they were smart
>>
>>7621049

Pocketbook has that.
>>
File: taptunook.jpg (120 KB, 802x1200) Image search: [Google]
taptunook.jpg
120 KB, 802x1200
>>
>>7621386
i don't know since i've never probed deeper into the app. i just know it works and I like the convenience.

side note - i picked up a new iphone 6 today and download the new yorker app to the phone. i can't do more than skim articles due to eye fatigue. however one excellent edition is that the poems are read by the authors.
>>
>>7621049
Kobo seems to do that. Not sure if you can have it full size- default seems to be smaller with white bars around it.
>>
>>7624860
...update: yes you can. Nice.
>>
>>7622274
this guy is a kindle shill avoid his opinions
buy the best ereader you can find with epub support. they just happen to be all kobos right now
>>
File: 1442457333310.jpg (229 KB, 640x633) Image search: [Google]
1442457333310.jpg
229 KB, 640x633
>>7624810
>Reading a book on a LCD screen
>>
>>7625683

its not that bad if you turn down the brightness
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.