[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some essential pieces of literature with an "epic"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
What are some essential pieces of literature with an "epic" scope? I want to get lost in a story with huge proportions. Currently reading murakamis Wind Up Bird Chronicle (new to reading for fun) and I love how big it feels, I guess. Any suggestions?
>>
obviously the fUCKING ILIAD AND ODYSSEY YOU DIP

also Genesis and Exodus and Daniel
>>
>>7616475
Of course, epic poetry is a given. I'm more looking for novels that just have a wide scope but aren't considered an epic technically.
>>
The Rainbow and Women in Love cover multiple generations of a family.
>>
In Search of Lost Time
>>
War and Peace
>>
>>7616469
Women and Men and The Recognitions
>>
>>7616860
Just like A hundred years of solitude
>>
War and Peace
The Mahayana
Epic of King Gesir
The Journey to the West
In Search of Lost Time
Plutarch's Lives
Plato's Dialogues
The Tipitaka
The Ramayana
The Faerie Queene
The History Plays - Shakespeare
>>
Epic in the sense of Murakami? Go for more postmodernists, for sure

Gravity's Rainbow
Infinite Jest
Giles Goat Boy
Underworld
Illuminatus
Women and Men (so I'm told)
>>
>>7617288
+ White Teeth
>>
East of Eden
>>
Game of Thrones
>>
>>7616469
wuthering heights would be my suggestion
>>
The Brothers Karamazov
>>
les miserables my nigga
>>
>>7617956
This.
>>
The prose edda and the epic of gilgamesh come immediately to mind as examples of ancient epics.
>>
>>7616475
>Genesis and Exodus and Daniel
lol fuck that. read Joshua through Kings II. THAT'S epic. best books in the bible right there
>>
essential is what u makes you think about essentials...therefore take a look into the mirror.
the answer is right there

besides: anything written by sergej lukianekno
>>
read my butt op its epic
>>
>>7616475
>>7617974
Just read the whole bible.
>>
>>7617995
that's a huge time investment lol. you a real pious dude
>>
>>7617281
>Plato's Dialogues
epic?
>>
Carlyle's History of the French Revolution
Motley's Rise of the Dutch Republic
>>
>>7618006
You can read the bible as a piece of literature and have a great time
>>
Le Morte d'Arthur
The Forsyte Saga
Middlemarch

If you're new to "reading for fun", maybe try the Wheel of Time. It's not quality literature, but it's enjoyable light reading with an epic scope.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.