[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Your thoughts on pic related?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: images.jpg (25 KB, 296x450) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
25 KB, 296x450
Your thoughts on pic related?
>>
File: image.gif (296 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
296 KB, 360x360
>>7615393
Just stared reading it a few days ago. Slow start, but it seems to be getting a bit better. I find his writing style off-putting and the narrative feels choppy. I'm going to try to stick with it in hopes there's a good payoff in the end.
>>
>>7615563
>I find his writing style off-putting and the narrative feels choppy.
Are you sure you're reading Embassytown by China Mièville?
>>
>>7615700
Opinions are like assholes.
>>
>>7615914
Unless it's coming from highly praised and critically acclaimed author like Ursula.
>>
>>7616020
Oh my god...so in other words you get all your opinions from others instead of forming your own? Some day you'll be an adult and have to think for yourself.
>>
>>7615700
>>7615914
Both of you should be euthanized.
>>
>>7615393
The world building is great. Would love to have an exploration novel in this setting.

Unfortunately, like almost all of Mieville's writing, it suffers from its characters being too passive, with events happening to them. He lacks the ability to really create a sense of forward movement in his narratives which results in his novels always feel slower than they should be considering the worlds he builds. Still - I appreciate the quasi-mindbending ideas in Embassytown and The City & The City that make you think a little harder than a lot of other speculative fiction or science fiction (whichever you want to call it).

Those are a brief summary of my thoughts.
>>
>>7616323
special snowflake detected

embassytown was good, neat concept, but ending was super underwhelming. he doesnt have an idea fully fleshed out and more just throws characters into scenarios and sees what happens.
>>
>>7616323
>Oh my god...so in other words you get all your opinions from others instead of forming your own? Some day you'll be an adult and have to think for yourself.

as someone who's been living in the adult world with grownups for close to 20 years i have bad news, adults are just teenagers who are slightly less rude, if you weren't thinking for yourself by 8th grade you're not going to suddenly start just because you managed to not die for 18 years
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.