[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where should I start with Pynchon, /lit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 282x475) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 282x475
I want to start reading Pynchon. Should I start with V., his first published work, or should I start with Slow Learner so I can see his prose and writing abilities progress? I'm not concerned with the quality of the work, I know most say that Slow Learner is subpar compared to the rest of his work, but what is the recommended starting point for ol' Tommy P?
>>
>>7614783
Start with re-reading your post and not sounding like an autismo, OP
>>
Start with Lot49, it's short and good, then V.
Skip Slow Learner, it's shit he wrote before being THE PINECONE and he published because
>muh famous

It was a Stephen King move. Bad for Mr. Pynchon.
>>
>>7614783
There's a chart that someone made but honestly homie it doesn't matter, there's a real interesting progression from Slow Learner through everything else, TCoL49 is usually the intro book because its the shortest way to get anything and everything Pynchon and let's you know if you really want to read more, but honestly I read like GR->TCoL49->IV->M&D->SL->V.->VNLND->BE
>>
>>7614799
I still plan on reading Slow Learner at some point, but thanks for the input.
>>7614808
I've seen the chart, I was just wondering if there was any value in seeing his progression as a writer. Thank you, lad
>>
>>7614783
don't bother he's a juvenile hack and no amount of memeing will make him good
>>
File: 1453289912422.jpg (2 MB, 1222x3649) Image search: [Google]
1453289912422.jpg
2 MB, 1222x3649
>>7614783
>>
>>7614819
I knew this was coming at some point
>>
>>7614819
i wouldnt say he's a hack, but he's definitely juvenile, a shitposter.
>>
>>7614819
no amount of the pynchon is bad meme will make him bad
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.