[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I enjoy Woolf?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: JacobsRoom.jpg (38 KB, 320x448) Image search: [Google]
JacobsRoom.jpg
38 KB, 320x448
How do I enjoy Woolf?
>>
>>7614586
Understand that Wolf was an author who experienced tragedy and suffering early on in life. Her works are best read when one is feeling anxious and somber. She allows you to experience another's dread through her work.

Also, the waves is her magnum opus.
>>
>>7614606
Can you explain why you liked The Waves? I enjoyed To The Lighthouse but found The Waves super disappointing
I'm not 100% sure I 'got' it, but I think I did, and I think what I 'got' was stupid

The characters were really noncharacters too .. and I think that was intentional, I just don't know what to take from that
>>
>>7614618
The waves was Woolf's transcendance from Lighthouse as a modernist writer, leaving the human characters behind, moving into a more spiritual sequent. In the waves, the monologues are not seperate characters, they are "facets of consciousness for continuity". What makes the waves so exceptional is that it challenges the very definition of what a novel can be; many critics unable to distinguish it between an exact story or poem.
>>
>>7614586
You don't.
>>
>>7614708
Really thinking it might just be this. I'm reading Jacob's Room right now and it's just been one of the most frustrating and least rewarding reading experiences I've ever had.
>>
>>7614586
you need to FEEL the prose.
>>
>>7614708
>>7614745
plebs detected
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.