[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone read a translated Ulysses? I have a spanish translation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
Has anyone read a translated Ulysses?
I have a spanish translation (J. Salas Subirat), I'm unsure if it'd be better to read the translation before the original or simply go for it and read it english.
>>
>>7614207
>mfw my city on 4chan

I honestly don't know. I've seen it lying around in bookstores and I've leafed through one, but I haven't read any reviews of it. Try looking up reviews which focus on the translation.

Oh, and obligatory:
>translation
>>
>see translation of Ulysses in my native language
>they literally fucked up the title of the book

Thank Christ I'm fluent in English.
>>
>>7615255
Why? French, translated, literature is better than English. I wish I was born in Normandy.
>>
>>7614219
>twf un triestin su 4chan
>>
What's a good English translation of Ulysses?
>>
>>7614207
The German Ulysses is unironically decent.
>>
>>7614207
Ulysses is best translated into the Italian.

Joyce himself would agree.
>>
>>7615255
What is your native language?

I'm thinking in read it in spanish first.
>>
Have you read Dubliners and Portrait in English? If not, get on that first. I think it'd be a waste for someone whose English is as serviceable as yours clearly is to read Joyce in translation. Might as well just spend the extra time levelling up your English until you can read it how it was meant to be read.
>>
>>7616040
I read Dubliners in Spanish, Portrait in English.
>>
File: 1443728153762.jpg (74 KB, 400x387) Image search: [Google]
1443728153762.jpg
74 KB, 400x387
>tfw Ulysses in polish is the sickest translation out there
>>
>>7616019
Swedish.

The title of the Swedish translation is "Odysseus" which completely misses the point imo. I think there's a brand new translation now where they fixed it though.
>>
>>7614207
Ulysses is one of things novels that should be read in it's original language. You'd be missing out on a lot if you read a translation.
>>
>>7616276
>not reading in gaelic
>not reading Finnegans Wake in gaelic

that's not very lit of you.
>>
>>7616344
You should know that "Odysseus" is the original name, which was only then turned to "Ulysses" in latin. I don't understand why they'd change it, but it's in no way a complete fuck-up.
>>
>>7616344
>"Odysseus" which completely misses the point imo
Why?
>>
>>7614207
I've read that Salas Subirat translation is pretty bad, there seems to be a consensus in Garcia's one being the best one.
>>
>>7616398
>You should know that "Odysseus" is the original name

Well fucking duh.

I think, and this is my opinion, that Joyce named the book from the latin "Ulysses" and not the greek "Odysseus" as a sort of challenge towards Homer or a distancing from him. Ulysses is a modern retelling of The Odyssey, the same way that the Romans "modernised" and adapted a lot of the old Greek stories and mythologies. That's why I think the title is significant, and that just calling it by the original Greek name misses the point of what Joyce was trying to do.
>>
Portuguese translation by Galindo and Britto is p. decent, Houaiss one is OK to great, the other two are shit
>>
>>7616582
>Houaiss one is OK to great
É a melhor tradução de Ulisses que tem no Brasil. Galindo não chega aos pés do Houaiss.
>>
Most translations from his time used the latin names is all
>>
>>7616738
>>7616569
"Joyce first encountered the figure of Odysseus/Ulysses in Charles Lamb's Adventures of Ulysses—an adaptation of the Odyssey for children, which seemed to establish the Roman name in Joyce's mind"
>>
>>7615259
Would you let a Frenchman fuck your wife too?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.