[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a fantasy book that actually touches on philosophy in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
Is there a fantasy book that actually touches on philosophy in some meaningful way (and I don't mean gay shit like "courage").
>>
not really. i say this as someone that loves fantasy.
the closest i can think of is Only Begotten Daughter by James Morrow which is about the daughter of god, jesus' sister.
>>
Pilgrim's Progress
Kappa
The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath
>>
Book of the New Sun
Once and Future King
Prince of Nothing
>>
No.
>>
>>7614061
That pic is very comfy i must say
>>
Historical Miniatures by August Strindberg.
>>
>>7614061
journey to the west
Basically all religious texts
>>
>>7614295
chink chongs need not apply
>>
>>7614061
Prince of Nothing
>>
>>7614072
>The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath

no
>>
>>7615737
There is more Kabbalistic symbolism in Kadath than there is in one of Harold Bloom's wet dreams.
>>
>>7614061
Book of the New Sun is heavily invested in Chestertonian philosophy of myth and truth and his own take on Trinity.
Philip K. Dick arguably, but it's more of a ride for the sake of itself.
Tolkien has his idea on how man is, ought to be and might be through races.
>>
Most works by Wolfe.
>>
Ursula Le Guin and Gene Wolfe. Le Guin is mostly concerned with sociological themes and Wolfe with theology, but there's scraps of all sorts of theory and philosophy to be found in their work and it's generally handled in an intelligent, nuanced way.
>>
>>7615750
Dick is a good shout. He doesn't really answer any questions but he sure asks some interesting questions.
>>
>>7614061
R Scott Bakker's "the Prince of Nothing"

author has a phd in philosophy and it shows
>>
>>7614061

Does anyone detest how "gay" is used as an umbrella adjective? Not because it's a slur against homosexual people but because It prevents one from being descriptive about something and articulating their opinion about it in a more nuanced way.
>>
>>7615764
It's no different to any other single adjective.
>>
>>7615799

Oh but it is. I learn nothing about OP's opinion on courage or why he dislikes it because he describes it as gay shit. (unless it actually is based on homosexual turds which he finds offputting).
>>
>>7615807
gay: corny, lame, weak
shit: stuff not worth specifying, lacking value
>>
>>7615818

corny, lame and weak all have different meanings.

shit: ok. I will allow this.
>>
>>7614061
Second apocalypse series (Prince of nothing)
>>
>>7614061
Give Sapkowski a try
>>
>>7614061
Dune.
>>
>>7615743
sauce plz?
>>
>>7615755
he didn't write fantasy though, except for a few short stories and Cosmic Puppets which is not fantasy in the sword'n'sorcery vein or similar silly styles, it's fantastic, not fantasy.
>>
>>7615826
Any word that you look at synonyms of you can say the synonyms all off slightly different meanings though. What is your point?
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.