[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just completed the first chapter. What the hell am I getting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
Just completed the first chapter. What the hell am I getting myself into?

Yes, i've read Dubliners and POTA, as well as the greeks.
>>
one of the best novels ever written. enjoy.

also >mfw that cover
>>
>>7613461
I guess it would be Ulysses by James Joyce
>>
>>7613461
have you read ij and pinecone yet?
>>
>>7613472
yes. Only V and the crying lot though
>>
>>7613471
thanks for the hilarious response haha. Although it was really funny, I believe you know what I meant and would appreciate a more purposeful answer
>>
>>7613461
stephen's first two chapters aren't bad. It's proteus that turns most people off.

But once you get to the bloom chapters, you'll have sunk yourself deep enough not to quit.

also, nobody understands oxen of the sun anyways
>>
>>7613510
Why does Stephen come off as really whinny and pathetic?
>>
>>7613513
didn't you read portrait?
>>
>>7613535
yes. Been a while though
>>
A tedious life elevated to the heights of an epic, OP, is what you are getting yourself into.

Proteus is when it gets tricky, when Stephen is walking down the beach.

It's rewarding if you take it slow and try to penetrate it as deep as you can. The whole novel, I mean.
>>
>>7613510
>oxen of the sun

>Joyce is just ejaculating words all over the paper
>>
We do not need this many threads talking about Joyce
Check the catalog next time fuckwit
>>
>>7613493
You're getting into a fucking book
Do you want us to describe every chapter for you?
Maybe wipe your ass too while we're at it?
>>
>>7613737
>implying there can ever be enough threads about Joyce
>>
>>7613737
if /lit/ was nothing but joyce threads the board quality would improve immensely

fuck off
>>
>>7613746
It already is nothing but Joyce, Pynchon, and DFW threads
>>
>>7613510
>>7613718
Oxen of the Sun is fairly comprehensible if you're 1) living in the British isles or one of England's later-era colonies, like Australia and NZ, where the slang is quite similar and 2) received a grammar school education. I honestly found it easier than some of the other sections.
>>
>>7613737
>>>reddit
>>
>>7613780
this

straya m8
>>
>>7613761
exactly. remove all dfw threads, keep like 1 pynchon thread, rest joyce. immediate appreciation of patrician levels.
>>
>>7613839
but them how would redditor shill for there icon, John Green
>>
>>7613844
>there icon
>>
>>7613858
their*. Sorry, I worked all day so Im pretty tired. I'm sure you understand what that's like. Well, actually you probably don't.
>>
>>7613875
Why would you write a completely incorrect word just because you're tired? That's just stupid. Stop making excuses for your idiocy. It's not like it was a typo where you just hit the wrong key, you wrote the wrong word. This is besides the point that you wrote them instead of then as well as forgetting an 'a' before redditor. You're just an idiot.
>>
>>7613828
kill yourself my man
>>
>>7613898
There and their are very similar and it is an extremely common mistake. I couldn't think of a more autistic thing to do then correct people's grammar on 4chan. Like I said though, you most likely have nothing better to do with your time.
>>
>>7613988
I wish I had the mental strength desu m8. Would do it in a second
>>
that's a cute cover
>>
>>7613510
Oxen of the Sun is just Joyce emulating classic writers while Bloom meets Stephen Dedalus and his dad Si in a maternity ward.

The first paragraph was written in Latin and then translated word-by-word into English, so the grammar is all fucked up.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.