[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is an extensive vocabulary really all that important for a work
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: mw8095_3D.png (290 KB, 381x508) Image search: [Google]
mw8095_3D.png
290 KB, 381x508
Is an extensive vocabulary really all that important for a work to be considered good? I feel as if the only thing that matters is that the author clearly illustrates to the reader what he intends to express. If drawing dicks all over the page is the best way to do that, is it really bad? I see alot of readers get anal about this. Yeah, its nice when its there but is it NECESSARY. What do you think?
>>
>>7613420
My idea is that choosing one word over another is style, anon.

Do you think literature, or Art in general, was made to illustrate something? (genuine question)
>>
Hemingway.
>>
>>7613420
It's not the most important, no. But the English language ought to be used, and if you can recall a word that saves you a couple of words, use it. Just don't be grandiloquent. :)
>>
>>7613420
Sometimes language can be beautiful or evocative. If all you want is a completely accurate realistic account of things read The Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters.
>>
>>7613519
I think art is meant to conjure or inspire an idea/concept into another person. Art that only shows off the skill of the artist is cool, but i dont think it becomes art at that point but instead becomes a decoration.
>>
>>7613420
People trying to show off their extensive vocabularies are usually brand new writers who mistake large words for voice.
Protip: it's bad.
>>
No, looking up a word every sentence is the most grating reading experience. Especially when it ends up being some botanical term.
I spend far too much time in a dictionary while reading, which ends up being my fault for selection.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.