[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Being a good writer is talent or hard work? Nature or nurture?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: feynman_imagination1[1].jpg (60 KB, 500x580) Image search: [Google]
feynman_imagination1[1].jpg
60 KB, 500x580
Being a good writer is talent or hard work? Nature or nurture? Can someone be a decent writer without actually reading tons and tons of books? I have an ambition of writing a book, but i always feel paralyzed thinking that i haven't read enough. Anyone here have a similar experience?
>>
>>7612078
what a dumb fucking quote. I hate when these intellectual fucks who are great in their specific fields, feel the need to "branch out" and """""enlighten us""""" with their 12 yr old revelations.
>>
>>7612093
Feynman was a chad who could do physics. Nothing more.
>>
WE WUZ STARDUST AND SHIT
>>
>>7612078
i'm not a published author, but I do read a lot, and I like reading the biographies of famous writers. that said, I don't think I've heard of any successful writer who wrote with the aim of being 'successful', ironically enough. if you want to write a book just so you can say that you have, it probably won't be very good.

then again, what the fuck do I know.
>>
>>7612093
I agree. Tautology, mate. Fucking cancer. I am pretty use Feynman probably never said that or if he did he was just saying it casually like i say Fuck You to my mother sometimes.
>>
>>7612078
Being a good prose writer is simply a matter of intelligence, because an intelligent person is able to do anything and an unintelligent person is able to do nothing. It is impossible for a stupid person to have 'a more vivid imagination' than a smart person because imagination is simply another term for the capacity for analytical thought. Anyone with a precocious intellect (130+) could be a prose writer, but most feel that the profession is either outdated or a narcissistic waste of their considerable talents, which they feel they must share with the less fortunate in a constructive way.
>>
>>7612228
creativity =/= intelligence.
>>
>>7612228
>imagination is simply another term for the capacity for analytical thought.

Care to elaborate on that at all?
>>
>>7612228
Shit mate, you are dumb.
>>
>>7612155
No, it is most obvious that Feynman said this, while striking the pose you see in OP's picture, for the purpose of being quoted on it, and of having it presented as the deep gem of revelation anyone would assume it to be, shaped in a dozen words. The same goes for every line written by man the past three thousand years.

Morons.
>>
>>7612245
Redditio
Leavio
>>
>>7612238
Imagination is the ability to a) perceive the elements that make up reality (in our case behaviours, emotions, conventions, physical traits, signifiers of social class), b) to connect these elements into predictable patterns, and c) to recast these patterns within a hypothetical scenario, which is what produces a work of fiction. There is no such thing as a specific talent. One cannot have a talent for mathematics but lack a talent for language, or vice versa. There is only genius and mediocrity - if you are not good at absolutely every intellectual pursuit you attempt, then you are good for nothing. Of course people specialize in a certain field because life is short and an in-depth knowledge is required for the individual to be able to make lasting achievements in a field. But what I'm saying is that in order to attempt to reach any sort of socially prominent position just anywhere, you have to better at everything than everyone you have ever known - you have to be a part of the master race, so to speak. Take my words to heart - if you are a little man striving after a big dream, don't. You don't deserve it by the circumstances of your birth and your low ancestry. It's hard to accept that not everyone is special in our day and age, but you'll find that exercising a bit of self-denial is infinitely preferable to the experience of being shunned by your better whom you thought were your peers.
>>
>>7612318
nice bait.
>>
>>7612300
I see what you did there, kind sir... have an upvote...!
>>
>>7612318
Presumably you'd consider yourself a member of this master race?

That is rhetorical. Enjoy your delusional schema lad.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.