[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is Stoicism in practice?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: 1449816444595.png (289 KB, 808x549) Image search: [Google]
1449816444595.png
289 KB, 808x549
What is Stoicism in practice?
>>
try to live a life being logical by avoiding being passionate and don't let your emotions cloud your judgement

they did not ban emotions per se, they just thought it gets in the way of clarity, a bit like vulcans
>>
>>7611828
>try to live a life being logical by avoiding being passionate and don't let your emotions cloud your judgement
sounds a little like Asperger's,no?
>>
>>7611832
NO!
Asperger means they can't express it properly

don't be mean
>>
>>7611832
voluntary aspergers
>>
>>7611832
Aspergers
>I'm emotional and I can't express it properly!

Stoicism
>I'm emotional, but I don't let how I feel necessarily dictate exactly how I act.

It's perfectly fine to feel angry, depressed, happy, neutral, vengeful and smug as a Stoic, as long as you act in accordance with virtue. One reason why Marcus Aurelius wanted his Meditations destroyed after his death is because he was afraid people would read it and realize how whiny, frustrated and un-stoic he was.
>>
Epicureanism: The Arts, Physics, Tea, Lutes, Good Food, Nice Gardens, Blowjobs in your nice garden, Good Discourse with close friends

Stoicism: Pop Science, Trainsets, Autism breathing methods, BACON IS FUCKING EPIC, Shadow the Hedgehog Cosplay, Autism Raps
>>
>>7611817
I read about it in Bertrand Russell's History of Western Philosophy and it just made me dumber. The only thing I got out of it was that he hates it, and some meaningless historical remarks.
>>
>>7611858
There is a reason why no one recommends that book.
>>
>>7611863
I don't have too much free time so I personally like the idea of learning all the key concepts from one book, but it has to contain much more substance than this one. Is there a good book like that?
>>
>>7611873
julian marias history of philosophy
>>
>>7611873
The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
The Story of Philosophy - Bryan Magee (it's doesn't cover the continentals that well though, not as it's bias against them, he just doesn't spend much time on them)
>>
>>7611817
The essential problem with stoicism is the metaphysical claims. That is,
a) The world is reasoned
b) A deity created the world to be accordance with reason
c) Humans are the only ones capable of reason, therefore is the human telos to be in accordance with reason, and thus the natural world and deities, giving our lives virtue
d) Since the world is reasoned, it must have a rational plan for the end, thus everything in the world is fated to reach that end.
Although the Stoics made more convincing and thorough arguments than this, this is the very basic outline of the metaphysics. Now, by taking the metaphysical claims as truths, the Stoics were able to make ethical statements such as not being bothered by disease, injury, poverty, solitude, injustice, et al. simply because these things were accordance with the plan of the world. To go against the plan of the world is to go against reason, which is the only true vice in the world just as being reason is the true virtue in the world. Many choose the ethical parts of Stoicism without acknowledging or believing the metaphysical, or even believing in self-admittedly irrational metaphysical religions such as Christianity (not a dog against the religion, but I digress). To believe in the Stoic ethics without their metaphysical backing is ludicrous.

Now, the answer to whether or not Stoicism is out-dated becomes a question of whether or not their metaphysics checks out. That answer is where 20th and 21st century skepticism gets in, and as a result is unanswerable.
>>
>>7611838

cute overreaction, girl detected
>>
not giving a fuck about anything and a little bit of self development
>>
>>7611929
>To believe in the Stoic ethics without their metaphysical backing is ludicrous
Disingenuous yes, ludicrous no. On everything else I agree.
>>
>>7611929
you can always live the life like a stoic
is the belief really that important to make it ludicrous?
>>
>>7611858
>autist can't into a practical philosophy

Gee who'da thunk it
>>
>>7611832
Actually, you can tell the illness by the medicine a person is looking for. People attracted to the equanimity that the Stoic practice offers are per definition not very 'stoical' of themselves, otherwise they wouldn't need a method to make them more stoical.

If someone's into stoicism he's probably a person overly ruled by his emotions, otherwise he wouldn't seek to remedy it.
>>
>>7612049
There are ample warnings about online diagnosis for reasons objectivity
>>
>>7611817
being some kind of stone
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.