[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I really want to read this Polish book called The Peasants
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: The Peasants.jpg (17 KB, 309x475) Image search: [Google]
The Peasants.jpg
17 KB, 309x475
So I really want to read this Polish book called The Peasants in English. Any of you have any experience with it? Which translation should I be reading?
>>
I don't think you could translate our specific peasant dialect and atmosphere, but OK, you can try

Boryna is typical polish janusz
>>
>>7611941
there are translations available. It's just a rare book.
>>
>>7611941
Your dialect isn't a special snowflake
>>
>>7612117
but it's untraductible like every dialect/sociolect
>>
>>7611731
but anon, that book is awful. really awful. and I read the original.
>>
>>7612182
Huh, really? Can you rec me anything else concerned with the passage of seasons? I really love it as an artistic motif.
>>
>>7612224
Try The Growth Of The Soil. Great peasant novel.
>>
>>7612230
Thank you o wandering anon.
>>
>>7612234
Meh, other anon here that read it and i liked it, not sure about what translation to go for best bet is grab the first one you can find and read the first 20 or so pages and decide how good the atmosphere and linguistic gymnastics to get the dialect right are. If its good go for it.
>>
>>7612182
Don't listen to him, he say's that because he had to read it in high school and is a pleb.
>>
>>7612182
>>7612261
>he had to read it in high school
and so did you. except everything else in the high school syl is at least half decent and has -any- substance to it.
>is a pleb.
sick argument XD
>>
>>7612224
>passage of seasons? I really love it as an artistic motif
The point is that whilst the passage of seasons is a key construction basal here, the actual work is genre fiction tier, literally devoid of everything else; at least >>7612230 contains some themes and motifs.
>>
2 many poles in this thread and in /lit/ in general
mode, block
t. martin schulz
>>
>>7612288
Eh, I believe you. I enjoy the aesthetic enough to give the book a go and formulate my own response to it. (pretty much every book out there has been shit-talked on /lit/ at some point) Regardless, still looking for more books that connect with or make use of the passage of seasons.
>>
File: Auumn Aurora.jpg (9 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
Auumn Aurora.jpg
9 KB, 225x225
Also, just in case there's anybody else around who just finds themselves drawn to the theme, pic related is the music of peasants and passing seasons.
>>
>>7612358
Sure thing, why not. I didn't mean to really shittalk it either, no hard feelings here, it's more about my own confusion over how does such boom make its way to some foreigner's backlog.

I'm going to be genuinely happy for you if you enjoy it anon.
>>
>win nobel
>drink like a stupid teenager
>can't take the award next day because of hangover
I respect typical Pole, Wladyslaw Raymont
>>
>>7612369
A nobel that he didn't really deserve, which he was aware of too.
>>
>>7612360
>the music of plebeians
>>
>>7612377
don't tell me that Żeromski deserved it more
>>
>>7612535
well didn't he
>>
>>7612230
Yes
>>
>>7612658
Mann > dogshit > Żeromski
>>
>>7612905
>>>>>>>>Reymont >>>>>>> Nałkowska
>>
>>7612913
why would you even compare Nalkowska to Reymont
>>
Sounds interesting, what is it about?
>>
>>7613202
it was just so you can see how close he is to the very bottom

yes, she marks the bottom of polish/eastern european literature

>>7613223
peasants... but really, it's not about anything, despite technically being just boring plot: the novel.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.