[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished this book. Thoughts? Is there any other portrayal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: confederacy-of-dunces.jpg (39 KB, 405x590) Image search: [Google]
confederacy-of-dunces.jpg
39 KB, 405x590
Just finished this book.

Thoughts?

Is there any other portrayal of a virgin neckbeard loser in literature that compares to that of Ignatius J. Reilly?
>>
>>7611177
There's a world of difference between Ignatius and the /r9k/-dwelling anime-and-video-game-worshipping jug-pissers
>>
is that mario
>>
>>7611189
There is? I think the only difference is Internet access.
>>
>>7611207
Ignatius is a relatively accomplished and very well-read academic.
>>
>>7611213
Relatively accomplished? He got a Master's degree in 10 years of schooling and never published anything.

As for well-read, you could make a reasonable guess that he only ever read Boethius and almost nothing else.
>>
>>7611224
You're wrong. Re-read the book.
>>
>>7611224
On second thought, he does know a great deal about Catholicism.

That said, if he was a serious academic, he would write serious papers on such topics as opposed to the ramblings of a supercilious manchild - something very /r9k/-like in nature.
>>
>>7611253
People on /r9k/ don't read anything in the first place.
>>
>>7611285
I agree actually. Apologies for my previous insulting comment.

That said, I imagine Ignatius would quite like to sit on his computer sifting through 4chan all day.
>>
I like hotdogs
>>
>>7611328
12" of Paradise
>>
File: 1401287302393.png (1 MB, 780x1198) Image search: [Google]
1401287302393.png
1 MB, 780x1198
>>7611177
>Is there any other portrayal of a virgin neckbeard loser in literature that compares to that of Ignatius J. Reilly?
>>
>>7611177
Maybe Oscar in The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.
>>
>>7611308
I think the degeneracy would outrage and fascinate him. And that's a slippery slope as we all know. So you're right.
>>
File: handsoff.jpg (167 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
handsoff.jpg
167 KB, 500x400
Would Ignatius post on /r9k? Or /lit, for that matter?
>>
>>7611370
Except Ignatius was an intellectual with some grasp of reality and zero reasonable grasp of self, while Elliot was a disorder-ridden psychopath.

But a calmer version of Elliot, had he lived 10 more years, might come very close.
>>
Reading this also. Hope it's good.
>>
>>7612633
He'd be head mod of his own subreddit where he'd post long rants about anime that no-one would ever read. Just three posts from people who know him IRL saying something nice then never returning.
>>
>>7612689
That's hauntingly sad and probably accurate.
>>
>>7612693
>Hey Ignatius, nice work buddy!
>hi iggy :) myrna sends her love
>Dinner's on the table sweetie. Mom xx
>>
>>7611189
I would like to give a proper answer, but what is that board for? How is it different from others? Games and anime have their own boards, insecure teens can visit /b/ or /adv/ and on most of the boards the inhabitants are viewed as losers.
>>
>>7612767
It was for oc, then it became a shelter for the asocial and the autist for a good while, then Reddit came and it was filled with the people that the users despised.

Despite believing that 4chan in general is for losers, this site's audience is quite different to the one it had 5 years ago.
Now it is common to see people with jobs, girlfriends, facebook and shit. So much that people unironically call 'virgin' as an insult to each other.
>>
>>7611333
that's what my gf calls my dick
>>
>>7613071
And, as we know, paradise is, of course, a fable.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.