[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm trying to figure out why I should care about literature.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: 1446682676252.jpg (194 KB, 1179x1179) Image search: [Google]
1446682676252.jpg
194 KB, 1179x1179
I'm trying to figure out why I should care about literature. I was a heavy reader all while I was growing up, but recently started to get into film and now I have to struggle to convince myself to read a book or two a year.

Is there anything I could read which discusses the differences in the two mediums? I would love to hear some arguments for literature, anything to get me to read more when there are so many great films out there.
>>
I don't have a book for you OP, but i believe there are inherent advantages to both mediums. In literature, there is a much slower burn, and themes are allowed to develop over a much longer time, giving them significance that you cant really get out of a 1.5-3 hour film. I think the amount of time you have pour in to reading a novel like Crime and Punishment or East of Eden also force you to consider them more whereas with film its totally optional. Lastly, for me at least, lit has a bigger impact on our lives than film. But hey that's just me. Best of luck out there anon.
>>
>>7611045

Film is cancer.
>>
I understand m9. Director Christopher Nolan gives me chills with every single one of his pieces that he's made in the past 8 to 10 years.

If you like his stuff, Tom Clancy might be good.
>>
File: serveimage (2).jpg (82 KB, 550x263) Image search: [Google]
serveimage (2).jpg
82 KB, 550x263
>>7611171
>Pic related, is literature
>>
>>7611045

We can't help you without knowing what your favorite films are first
>>
>>7611162
I get this and it's definitely true, but I get hung up on how... boring actual reading is. Even in slow films there's always time to admire the cinematography, but when a book is slow, am I supposed to be admiring the prose?

Prose feels sort of "all or nothing" to me. Either it's good and it's readable or bad and unreadable. Sometimes it's interesting or unique, but it's hard to admire a good paragraph compared to a good shot in a film. Maybe I'm just a pleb.
>>
>>7611191
2001 A Space Odyssey
Eraserhead
Holy Mountain
the list goes on...
>>
>>7611269
Start with 'Everybody Poops' or 'Thomas the Tank Engine'. That should be about your speed.

Build wall btw xDD
>>
>>7611269

Close your browser and don't come back till you've digested Cassavetes, Fassbinder and Bergman.

You've made it clear you'll only watch curriculum-tier films so my listed those accordingly.
>>
>>7611269
dr seuss
>>
>>7611312
Dude The Seventh Seal was so epic! I liked that scene where he plays chess with Death!! Haha we're so patrician right?
>>
To read literature you need some patience

I know people who love movies but wants to get into reading but can't because words on a paper just doesn't do the trick of capturing your sense of wonder.

Reading is not just a simple switch of medium if you are not used to it.

Especially in this age you have to build up the patience to sit and stare at paper for a few hours. It sounds easy for for first-timers it might just be the hardest thing they've ever done.

This is true regardless of that films you've seen.
>>
>>7611778
but* for first-timers
>>
>>7611318
lol
>>
>>7611312
>two playwrights and one mediocre director
>>
Do whatever the fuck you wanna do.
Jesus Christ.
>>
>>7611312
Don't come back to this board till you've watched the Fellini Satyricon whilst having sex.
>>
File: image-20150108-23812-b45t29.jpg (214 KB, 668x668) Image search: [Google]
image-20150108-23812-b45t29.jpg
214 KB, 668x668
>>7611179
Subtle pisstake lad. 8/10
>>
>>7611940
kek
>>
File: 1452931653025.jpg (35 KB, 599x603) Image search: [Google]
1452931653025.jpg
35 KB, 599x603
>>7611045
> I was a heavy reader all while I was growing up
probably because you were reading easily digestible genre-trash marketed to children

>I have to struggle to convince myself to read a book or two a year.
Because you're lazy, and spending all you're time on /tv/ has destroyed your attention span.

>'m trying to figure out why I should care about literature.
Because life is an intellectual pissing contest.
>>
>>7611171

Dumb nigger autist detected
>>
>>7612120
/thread

OP is a faggot
>>
>>7611162
What are the advantages to film? You don't really say what they are.
>>
>>7612363
The image
>>
>>7611769
>>7611896
>>7611940

If any of you had decent reading comprehension you could understand I listed those because they are taught to undergrads after the films OP listed, not because I thought they were any good.
>>
>>7613833
>You've made it clear you'll only watch curriculum-tier films so my listed those accordingly.
>so my listed those accordingly
>my listed

If you had decent writing skills maybe people would actually understand what you are saying.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.