[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nietzsche
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: Nietzsche3-Young Man.jpg (127 KB, 516x826) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche3-Young Man.jpg
127 KB, 516x826
I've read Plato's dialogues on Socrates and I would like to get into Nietzsche. Obviously, start with the Greeks. I read a while ago that one should read Plato before delving into Nietzsche. Am I ready for Nietzsche? And where to begin with Nietzsche?
>>
Also, recommended translators and translations?
>>
Yeah - go for it. To be 'completely' read for Nietzsche, you might have to have read:

Laotze
Rousseau
Schopenhauer
Kierkegaard
Hegel
Lessing
Kant
John Stewart Mill
Lucretius
Leibniz
Heraclitus
Proclus
Plotinus
Pythagoras
Epictetus
Borne
Heine
Parmenides
Empedocles
Democritus
Thales
Horace
Montaigne
Voltaire
Hermann Hesse
Pushkin

But I recommend getting Kaufmans 'Portable Nietzsche' & going from there.
>>
Read the SEP articles of his influences, then read the SEP article on him.

Then read Geneaology.

Of course if you read his precursors more fully, you'd get more out of him -- but you can always read a guy more than once (plus it's more fun that way).

Once you've read a good bit of Nietzsche, read Deleuze's book on him.
>>
>>7610335
I'd add

Aristotle (Politics and Ethics)
Xenophon's Memorabilia
Sextus Empiricus
Epicurus
Pascal
Hume
Francis Bacon
Emerson

>>7610321
If you want context for Nietzsche, Epicurus might be helpful and should be easy enough to read.

>>7610336
>read Deleuze's book on him.
Bataille wrote a book on him as well, though it isn't very accessible.
>>
>>7610335
wow, thank you for that list. Looks like I've got a lot more reading to do before I begin.

>>7610336
Thanks for those articles. They were good reads and I'm eager to start reading his works
>>
Just read him already. Stick with kaufmann or Hollingdale. Someone already mentioned the portable nietzsche from kaufman, you could combine that with basic writing of nietzsche, which is also a Kaufmann translation and have nearly all of his works in 2 books
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.