[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/, Let's play a game. Grab the book nearest to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 12
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1300x1994) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1300x1994
Hey /lit/,

Let's play a game. Grab the book nearest to you and turn to page 17. Write the first complete sentence on the page in the thread, see if you can determine what the books are using you're superior pseud knowledge. I'll start

>How many times it happened to me-well, say, for example, to feel offended, just so, for no reason, on purpose.
>>
"After taking my bath, I turned back to Milo's lodging and made for my bedroom."
>>
>>7609778
Infinite Jest?

----

>Come evening he tracks a spire of smoke rising oblique from among the low hills and before dark he hails up at the doorway of an old anchorite nested away in the sod like a groundsloth.
>>
>>7609778
Notes from the underground.. luckily i just read it last week.

heres a tougher one:
About this pageant: it had one peculiar result. It brought the Gettysburg Address of Abraham Lincoln to the attention of Goebbels, and then to the attention of Hitler himself.
>>
>>7609785
Milo sounds like a John Green character so I'm gonna go ahead and guess TFIOS
>>
I'll give you a clue, it's non fiction.

Olden Farm, after a brief role in the first American revolution, would remain undisturbed until the mathematicians arrived and began working on the next.
>>
'Where to, fella?'
>>
>Seeing her father reach for the pen, Maggie's heart stopped.
No idea what it is its not my book good luck figuring it out
>>
"Wait, no, call me Bruce, please."

:^)
>>
He and Rachel, both covered with lettuce leaves, looked at eachother, wary.
>>
>>7609792
>>7609785
I'll give a clue: The book is from before 1000 AD
>>
>>7609785
Catch 22
>>
"Sloane nodded."
>>
>>7609778
Sometimes, indeed, she had reflected that Dodo would perhaps not make a husband happy who had not her way of looking at things; and stifled in the depths of her heart was the feeling that her sister was too religious for family comfort.
>>
>So why does the Veda claim that the top social stratum consists not of warrior-kings stronger than all other humans, "eating" them all, but of the caste of priests?

Hint: he's often discussed on /lit/
>>
>>7609807
>>7609804
>>
"Ravenna lives off artificial fertiliser? This city, where Theodoric the great and Dante lie Buried? This city, besides which Venice is a parvenu?"
>>
File: 1400725422731.jpg (168 KB, 850x1024) Image search: [Google]
1400725422731.jpg
168 KB, 850x1024
Indeed, unless we wish to conjecture that Walter of Oxford was in on a hoax, we can assume that he did give Geoffrey some kind of collection of antiquarian documents or short tales in Welsh.
>>
Reconozco que la razón se confunde frente al prodigio del amor
>>
>>7609808
Stoner
>>
>>7609808
Eragon
>>
File: thumbs up.jpg (39 KB, 428x288) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up.jpg
39 KB, 428x288
>however, most pinnacles veterans saw pinnacles rock as a unique, limited resource: a place where true climbing adventure thrived.
>mfw the bookcase nearest my computer is my /out/ bookshelf
>>
>She peers at him over the rim of her coffee cup.

aaahhh, carefully now, this one is really obvious, like the outcome of the power rangers against the big robot monsters they would fight which, everyone knew even then, they would win.
>>
The next morning the Haytons' daughter found her mother in bed, dead.

>oh damn
>>
>>7609778

>"Soot falls in with the snow and mixes the flurry into a choking grey as they stream past him in all directions alive and wide-eyed and screeching and iron-fisted, some with red-stained teeth and others with open wounds yawning through blackened holes torn in their new woolen shirts, dozens of them already chained at the ankle struggling to get away or at least stay standing, they push and shove and fall over one another, pressing tight, hollering, moving in violent currents."

>>7609808
Definitely Paolini. Clean your bookshelf, m8

>>7609819
>Starting a sentence with "Indeed"
Every time.
>>
>>7609905
Never read that sentence in my life, but the syntax is screaming McCarthy
>>
Inconspicuously, I sniffed my hair.

Alternatively:

Maybe that was the thing here.
>>
>>7609893

Tao "ebin win" Lin?
>>
>>7609801
V.
>>
>>7609778
>It was a world in which there was no place for the slothful.
>>
>A young woman of Leek, in Staffordshire, while he served his apprenticeship there, conceived a violent passion for him; and though it met with no favourable return, followed him to Lichfield, where she took lodgings opposite to the house in which he lived, and indulged her hopeless flame.

I like "hopeless flame".
>>
He could hardly make out the meaning of some of the Auditor Speaks Back articles, they were phrased in such special jargon.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7609853
>>7609905

It's Stoner.
>>
>>7609789
OP here, correctemundo.
Heres on one more

>women's hands do get a lot done without fuss, he thought perhaps he would have smashed all the dishes on the spot, he certainly would not have been able to carry them out of the room.
>>
>>7609948
Noone will guess this btw.
>>
NO MORE SENTENCES TILL THERE'S BEEN MORE GUESSES
>>
>>7609778

Οὐ πᾶς ὁ λέγων μοι· kύριε kύριε, εἰσελεύσεται εἰς τὴν βασιλείαν τῶν οὐρανῶν, ἀλλ᾽ ὁ ποιῶν τὸ θέλημα τοῦ πατρός μου τοῦ ἐν τοῖς οὐρανοῖς.
>>
>>7609965
I know I've read this before. Something by Kafka?
>>
>>7609981

τὴ έναἰ?
>>
>>7609965
>>7609983
The Trial?
>>
File: IMG_5725.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5725.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
"I fent a letter to J.G.* and requefted the honour of his company at my lodgings."
-from The News-paper wedding, or An Advertisement for a Husband, R.Snagg, London, 1774
>>
"What is meditation?"
>>
>Even if we remain in the same house, we are strangers—strangers forever!
>>
"Mój ojciec chodził wzdłuż półek w zielonym fartuchu, jak ogrodnik wzdłuż inspektów z kaktusami, i wywabiał z nicości te pęcherze ślepe, pulsujące życiem, te niedołężne brzuchy, przyjmujące świat zewnętrzny tylko w formie jedzenia, te narośle życia, pnące się omackiem ku światłu.."

Unfortunatelly the book nearest to me was in Polish. I know that at least one person here on lit speaks this language beside me, hope he gets it. I've chosen it on random, but it's characteristic tbqh.
>>
Courtney gets up and I watch as her shoes click away into the kitchen.
>>
"Et elle vida dans le baquet de Gervaise le fond d'un sac de carbonate de soude, qu'elle avait apporté"
>>
>>7610019
You could've translated it
>>
>>7609788
Blood Meridian
>>
"Western humans have lost their sense of unity with the cosmos and with the transcendent mystery within themselves."
>>
>>7610028
Correct
>>
Dabar esu prakeiktas, nekenčiu tėvynės.
>>
>>7610027
>transl
But actually, memes aside, I'll look up the official translation of this sentence, who knows, it's quite a popular book.
>>
>>7610060
>>7610027
>>7610019
In english it's:
"My father walked along his shelves in a green apron, like a gardener along his cactus frames, and coaxed from nothingness those blind blisters pulsating with life, those clumsy abdomens taking in the external world only in the form of food, those excrescences of life, scrabbling gropingly toward the light."
>>
This post he had recieved through his sister Anna's husband, Alexey Alexandrovitch Karenin, who held one of the most important positions in the ministry to whose department the Moscow office once belonged.
>>
>>7610086
Karenina of course
>>
>>7610086
>Anna's husband, Alexey Alexandrovitch Karenin
Shit, this is way too difficult. Could you give a hint?
>>
>>7610009
Anna Karenina too.
>>
>>7610108
Correct
>>
This book is not addressed to highbrows, or to those who regard a practical problem merely as something to be talked about.
>>
>>7609778
"So morality is useful in relation to money at precisely the time when money is not in use?"
>>
>>7610039
>Western humans
It's Tolkien ofc, just don't know which book.
>>
>>7610009

Anna Karenina (or, Count Vronsky has white, strong and straight teeth.)
>>
>>7609965
The Castle?
>>
Inhuman blubberings beat against and rose from behind the old imitation mahogany of the bar
>>
>>7609785

the republic
>>
>>7610168
Nope. Not by a Greek.
>>
>>7609983
>>7609998
You got it boyz. Let's do another

>what is the great dragon which the spirit no longer wants to call Lord and God?
>>
>>7610175
It's something by a german
>>
"Aw Christ," he said, "everything's going to pieces, the whole organization.
>>
"He flung up his hands and tramped down the stone
stairs, singing out of tune with a Cockney accent:
O, won’t we have a merry time,
Drinking whisky, beer and wine! "
>>
>>7610189
One of the stories in Dubliners?
>>
"On the other hand, Surveyors are runnin' about numerous as Bed-bugs, and twice as cheap, with work enough for all certainly in Durham at present, Enclosures all over the County, and North Yorkshire,- eeh! Fences, Hedges, Ditches ordinnary and Ha-Ha Style, all to be laid out... I could have stay'd home and had m'self a fine Living...?"
>>
>>7610180
It is. How did you know, identifiable dialect or just a hunch?
>>
>>7609789
Mother night
>>
>>7610492
Dragons
"Spirit"
Lord & God

Neitzsche
>>
>>7609778
de tal manera tuvieron los mermnadas el poder y se lo quitarob a los heraclidas. El nuevo soberano envio a Delfos no pocas ofrendas,pues en cuanto ofrendas de plata,hay muchismsimas suyas en Delfos;
>>
>>7609799
underrated
>>
>>7609785
Going to bed now.

Clues:
It's pre 1000 AD
It's not by a Greek
It's not by a Roman
>>
>>7609924
I'll give you lads a hint: there's two pg. 17's.
>>
>German and English are both Germanic languages and contain a large number of words of common origin, so called cognates.
>>
>>7609778
> That's correct. I'd say it was less than five minutes later that we went into the woods.

Included an extra sentence because "that's correct" could be so many books
>>
File: Hitchens.jpg (4 KB, 151x151) Image search: [Google]
Hitchens.jpg
4 KB, 151x151
>>7609778
As the sun goes down, the shadow of the trees lengthen. Like a sagacious cat, the wind plays with papers and dead leaves, whirling them around where they are. Shadows pass: people have acquired a way of sneaking around instead of walking.
>>
>He was the only hamburger man in Shale City so he had a monopoly on the business.
>>
>This work had to do with the relation between, on the one hand, the tonic, clonic, and phasic contractions in epilepsy and, on the other hand, the tonic spasm, beat, and fibrillation of the heart.
>>
>>
Not knowing how to respond to that, the secretary deemed it obligatory to smile as Pilate had.
>>
>>7610099
>>7610092
Lol of course. You don't even need to have read the book to know. Good job anyway for not being retarded :D
>>
>>7610400
mason & dixon

>>7610673
the master & margarita?
>>
>>7609778
"He told us we should always pray to God-talk to him and all-wherever we were."
>>
"The Sanskrit word for poet is kāvi ("maker"), and the Vedic poet was a bard who, as in Blake's quote above, could see the present, past, and future because his awareness was rooted in the infinite depth of the present moment, in touch with the transcendental field that lies beyond time."
>>
>>7609778
In which we learn a thing or two about Mother and Father's first day alone
>>
>>7610079
It's from Cinnamon Shops, but I've been cheating.
>>
The light system is the heart of any electric light garden.
>>
In the late afternoon it rained and the entire world was dark gray.
>>
"He removed the injector and placed it in his pocket, and then slowly and gingerly rewrapped his hand."
>>
>>7609778
>When it had come to a halt by the airport building and Ferradas emerged from the pilots' cabin, a wing three-quarter on the team named Roberto Canessa somewhat impudently congratulated him on the landing.
>>
The liquor soon mounted to their heads, as it generally does even with the arrantest topers newly landed from sea, and they began capering about most obstreperously.
>>
He turned away from her with a grimace that distorted his handsome face, kissed Anna Pavlovna's hand, and screwing up his eyes scanned the whole company.
>>
>As she said this she looked down at her hands, and was surprised to see that she had put on one of the Rabbit's little white kid-gloves while she was talking.
>>
The Taihei-maru spent most of the morning octopus fishing.
>>
It's all very well for me to tell myself there are no provincial cities any more and perhaps there never were any : all places all places communicate instantly with all other places, a sense of isolation is felt only during the trip between one place and the other, that is, when you are in no place.
>>
>>7611342
Alice's adventures in wonderland.

I just bought the vintage published hardcover with TtLG included. Is this a /lit/ approved edition?
>>
>>7611094
Sounds like Tom Clancy
>>
In the morning he would have to go to old man Trouille's and bring the correspondence with Latin America up to date.
>>
And I was born, though late, sub julio, and lived in Rome under the good Augustus- the season of the false and lying gods.
>>
>>7610116
Sounds like Miller?
>>
>We were not allowed to cut bread ourselves, nor were we allowed to use the stove, so it was always either Mom or Dad who made supper.
>>
>>7610949
Campbell?
>>
>>7611428
You are correct. Not sure, the one I have is norton critical edition, I've seen the annotated alice get a lot of praise
>>
>>7609778
فإزا كان النور الزي فيك مظلما، فيا له من ظلام!
>>
>>7611464
Thanks for the recommendation anon, I'll make sure to check it out.
>>
I get up at nine, sometimes even at ten, then we leave the house and eat lunch at an inn, and after lunch we write, and then we go out and have supper, and what do we eat?
>>
There's literally a blank page between pg16 & 18.
>>
>>7611135
Dicky Mob?
>>
>>7609778
"There's very little doubt that Wayne would've won."
>>
>>7609778
All these were joined together in the vale of Siddim, which is the salt sea
>>
File: 1407304106577.jpg (386 KB, 740x1064) Image search: [Google]
1407304106577.jpg
386 KB, 740x1064
Jesus took them all by stealth, for he did not reveal himself in the manner [in which] he was, but in which the manner [they would] be able to see him.
>>
"There is something in that name that inspires absolute confidence."
>>
>>7609778
And eat of the bountiful things as(where and when) ye will; but approach not this tree or ye run into harm and transgression.
>>
>>7611556
Atlas Shrugged
>>
"You are heir to all the belts magic and power, my King," he said.
>>
>>7611588
[Wayy off]
>>
>>7611556
The importance of being Ernest
>>
Oh boy, I have a good one.

"Chewbacca Bowcaster variations: lighter blue and blue-black."
>>
>>7609778
>It is taking up so much of his time he's begun to neglect Novi Pazar, and F.O is worried
>>
>>7611591
Gravity's Rainbow
>>
Thereupon I was informed that it was quite hopeless for a European to attempt to penetrate into this realm of spiritual life
- perhaps the strangest which the Far East has to offer - unless
he began by learning one of the Japanese arts associated with Zen.
>>
>>7610949
Harris?
>>
>>7610509
correct
>>
>>7609778
Can you imagine a boy having a chocolate-bar sandwich as an after-school snack?
>>
>System 2 is designed to be lazy, and it usually searches for information that is consistent with existing beliefs
>>
>>7609778

Six of the Crew, of whom I was one, having let down the Boat into the Sea, made a shift to get clear of the Ship, and the Rock.
>>
>>7611448
I, Claudius?
>>
"Eighty fucking years old, alone in that pisshole", Lude had told me later.
>>
>About three in the afternoon he came up with us, and bringing to by mistake just athwart our quarter, instead of athwart our stern, as he intended, we brought eight of our guns to bear on that side, and poured in a broadside upon him, which made him sheer off again, after returning our fire and pouring in also his small shot from near two hundred men which he had on board.

Yes that is all one sentence.
>>
I had to buy it at once, I had a premonition.
>>
>>7611530

There's IJ finally.
>>
Jupiter addressed the assembly. He set forth the frightful condition of things on earth, and closed by announcing his intention to destroy the whole of its inhabitants, and provide a new race, unlike the first, who would be more worthy of life, and much better worshippers of the gods.

(Shockingly relevant to my thoughts these past days.)
>>
>>7611921
Hlo tversky N kanhemahnahnahn
>>
>>7611696
>>7611696
Zen/art of archery?
>>
Grabbing my raincoat out of the closet in the entranceway I find a Burberry scarf and matching coat with a whale embroidered on it (something a little kid might wear) and it's covered with what looks like dried chocolate syrup crisscrossed over the front, darkening the lapels.
>>
>>7609778
>But the said Peter, seeing me, came unto me and saluted me.
>>
>>7612108
House of leaves
>>
>>7609778
>Closest book to me is Notes
Thanks for posting for me, OP.
>>
Pour un homme aussi naturellement secret que moi, répandre ses viscères sur du papier, c'est bien rebutant au début, mais ma main m'entraîne, et il me semble qu'ayant commencé à me raconterje ne pourrai plus m'arrêter avant d'être arrivé au bout de mon rouleau.
>>
>>7609778
>This complex physical entity ('the dice,' thought of as a single object) is before me on the table, after the throw, and its actual position determines the actual state of the (two) dice.
>>
File: Apollodorus.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
Apollodorus.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2560
> His date has been differently set all the way from the first century B.C. to the ninth century A.D.
>>
>>7609778
>The tower's concrete skin was mottled and flaking.
>>
>>7612567
Naming and Necessity by Saul Kripke
>>
File: giphy.gif (497 KB, 400x284) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
497 KB, 400x284
>>7612612
>>
>>7609778
>I am afraid this is one thing I'll miss.
>>
I feel as though this might be too obvious, what with names being named.

>Joachim accompanied Hans Castorp to room 34, where they found that the limping concierge had properly delivered the new guest's luggage; and they chatted for another fifteen minutes while Hans Castorp unpacked his nightclothes and toiletries after first lighting a thick, mild cigarette.
>>
>>7609893
uhh, Kafka on the shore?
>>
>>7611515
Correct!
>>
>>
Haines asked.
>>
Intermarriages (arranged by the Priests) between the sons and daughters of these more intellectual members of the lower classes generally result in an offspring approximating still more to the type of the Equal-Sided Triangle.
>>
>But all you mean is that the stone or the tree does not happen to be convenient for some purpose of your own.
>>
One morning when Baldassare was in her house, she told him everything she knew and did not conceal the least of her fears.
>>
>Jonathan watched her for a minute or two.
>>
File: kkk.png (459 KB, 683x681) Image search: [Google]
kkk.png
459 KB, 683x681
>>7612949
>Democratic rule - in which the government apparatus is considered "public" property administered by regularly elected officials who do not personally own and are not viewed as owning the government but as its temporary caretakers or trustees - typically only follows personal rule and private government ownership.
>>
We said that the firs looked marvelously beautiful, like noble, aristocratic women.
>>
>>7612963

That picture makes for an excellent portrait of a second string ballerina, the "her" being referred to.

On the other hand, I can't imagine this author bothering about with political theory in any form, as opposed to characterizing the ruling class through secondary characters the protagonists swim around. If I stumble on such a passage later on in that book I'll be damned surprised.

Or, if meant as a challenge, a quote to identify some other's work ... not sure. Sounds like some foundation laying for libertarian pontificating. Ann Rand? L Neil Smith?
>>
>>7610181
ubik?
>>
When I came to the spring todaym I said, 'O Lord, God of my master Abraham, if you will, please grant success to the journey on which I have come.
>>
>>7613188
*today*
>>
>>7609778
is that a detail of pollock? :) :)
>>
File: 9 volt.jpg (80 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
9 volt.jpg
80 KB, 1200x1200
>>7609794
>olden farm
A Book About Alan Turing
>>7609893
cauterized plane by phomas tynchon
>>7609956
this is by Dick but idk what exactly
>>7610643
twilight: new moon
>>7610649
johnny got his gun
>>
File: asasd.png (2 MB, 1100x743) Image search: [Google]
asasd.png
2 MB, 1100x743
>>7613053
I usually bring up the reply box by clicking on someone's no. and at times I forget to erase the number. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to highlight you.

I like to think I'm an ideological pluralist (aka I'm emotionally swayed towards Marxism and logically strung towards Paleolibertarianism), hence I have many books on political theory, and Hoppe's 'Democracy: The God That Failed' just happened to be on the top.
>>
Let P' be an x-u geodesic in G and let P" be a u-y geodesic in G.
>>
>>7613225
are pollock's works fractal? :^)
>>
>>7609807
>implying Milo makes his first appearance in C22 this early
>>7611530
Infinimeme at last
>>7612603
Le Odysseus?
Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.