[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the most difficult book you guys have ever read? for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: Le jew shill Face.jpg (108 KB, 1000x720) Image search: [Google]
Le jew shill Face.jpg
108 KB, 1000x720
What is the most difficult book you guys have ever read?

for me it would be " The Old Man and the Sea" by Ernest Hemingway. I had to read it several times to feel comfortable and understnd it fully. In fact it is in the form of a capsule. The symbols used therein are not easy to understand at first. However, the book tempts one to read it again and again. The inspirational aspect of the book is awesome but one can get to it only after arduous effort. Santiago, the protagonist, is such a wonderful creation of the Nobel lauret but going into his word was certainly not easy for me. Manolin is indeed captivating. Any way I enjoy reading of this type of stuff. It gave me the joy similar to guessing the answer of a riddle after thinking hard. And I would love to read it again. I will.\
>>
>for me it would be " The Old Man and the Sea" by Ernest Hemingway.
Isn't Hemingway supposed to be the easiest read possible?
I mean, his talent as far as I see is his simplicity.
Or are maybe you are baiting, OP?
>>
Anna Karenina. I am a very straight-forward, decisive tomboyish type woman. She is, most definitely not. It was difficult to understand her character.
>>
I tried to read Moby Dick last year. I am a really great reader, and had already read modern and contemporary classics like Don Quixote, Harry Potter, Got, Cristo, et cetera. But Moby Dick... I just couldn't. At the time I was expecting epic whale fights and tons of suspense... NOPE. I know every book deals with themes like social class, religion and the like but blimey, Moby Dick took the proverbial cake at the time
>>
Illiad desu
>>
>>7609584
Really? I finished it a couple days ago, I found it a pretty easy and enjoyable read (Fagles translation), although undoubtedly sluggish and a chore to read at some parts.

I generally picked up on the themes and didn't really have to work too hard to "get" the book.
>>
>>7609184
>old man and sea

fucking moronic idiot

Try reading Infinite Jest and Gravity's Rainbow you pleb-tier reddit cuckold.
>>
>>7609598
Good meme taste, reddit.
Not even OP.
>>
>>7609244
Top zozzle
>>
>>7609602
IJ and GR are LIT-tier, fucking reddit idiot

also Lolita. We have 100 threads about them each week.

Maybe its just too intellectual for you??

go read everybody poops, that's more your thing, kid.
>>
Joyful Path of Good Fortune. I do not have the cultural context to read it without wikipedia on hand. It also asks of its audience to structure very specific imagery in their mind for the purpose of meditation.
>>
>>7609608
>IJ and GR are LIT-tier
Maybe /lit/ tier, but that's not so much, neither change the fact that is meme/pleb tier.

Try some Melville, Faulkner or Joyce, ever heard about them? Pretty good desu
>>
Since no one mentioned Finnegans Awake, I'm assuming no one else read it.
>>
>>7609200
Jesus what a stupid post
>>
>>7609701
Not him but why?
AFAIK Hemingway's prose was so clear you can read very easily.
I read The Old Man and the Sea in one afternoon.
>>
Probably notes from underground when I was a 21 and didn't read much at all. The first bit really confused the shit out of me but after that I was alright . I recently tried The Brothers Karamazov but I'll have to return to it after I read more.
>>
>>7609244
+upvote
>>
>>7609608
Lit-tier is really not a compliment though considering everyone on this board is a dilettante fuckwit engaging in intellectual masturbation over autistic manchildren.
>>
File: 1001004002404223.jpg (30 KB, 261x400) Image search: [Google]
1001004002404223.jpg
30 KB, 261x400
>>
>>7609244
>Harry Potter, Got,

absolutely disgusting
>>
>>7610585
He's easy once you get the gist of it desu
>>
desu Fifty Shades of Grey. It was so atrocious that was by far the most difficult book do read ever.
Inb4: why did you read it? I lost a bet.

>>7609622
>>7609622
> Finnegans Awake
>Awake

I bet you didn't too, kiddo. That's the only answer tho

>>7609598

>lit tier as a compliment
>taking David Foster Wallace seriously
I see, you're new here. TDRK and NGE aren't /tv/s and /a/'s favorites too, you know?
>>
the sound and the fury
>>
The SIlmarilion and The Emperor God of Dune.
>>
>>7610633
Sorry, English is not my mother language, so I messed up the title.

But I read it in "english", or something near it.
>>
Does non fiction count?
If so, The Phenomenology of Spirit.
>>
>>7612433
So basically, especially when considering you are not a native English speaker, you stared at gibberish upon hundreds of pages?
Wtf is wrong with you?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.