[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
reading place
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 200
Thread images: 22
File: Jonathan Lethem.jpg (142 KB, 620x426) Image search: [Google]
Jonathan Lethem.jpg
142 KB, 620x426
How do you like to read, /lit/? Do you read always in the same place? Do you have a special chair?
I personally read on bed all my life, but I feel uncomfortable when reading during the day, and that happens a lot. How do you read for hours while sitting? I found the positions of my legs, that's where I place the book to be to most troublesome.
Tell me how did you improve your comfort while reading.
>>
I wish I could read anywhere like in a moving vehicle for example but I get sick in the stomach . I prefer to read laying down in complete silence. But I've trained myself to read with my girlfriend in the same room watching retarded television shows
>>
>>7609123
>not having gf that reads with you silently, only disturbing you to serve coffee, tea, and light snacks
>>
>>7609123
That's a nightmare. Is she hot enough to justify enduring that?
>>
File: 13.gif (2 MB, 600x178) Image search: [Google]
13.gif
2 MB, 600x178
>>7609112
i sit laterally on a sofa with my spine propped up and my knees up. it's in a kitchen space with 5 60 watt bulbs and white walls i can read very fast. shoulders relaxed, chest out. try to keep your shoulders balanced.
i can sit up and read too
>>
I have a magic reading chair.
>>
i have a ~12 foot long kitchen table that i sit at. feels good for some reason
>>
i read in bed while a cock in my ass and i have a cock buried in a girl

if you haven't read like this how can you really say you're living the literary lifestyle?
>>
File: comfycorner (2).jpg (2 MB, 6032x4032) Image search: [Google]
comfycorner (2).jpg
2 MB, 6032x4032
>>7609112
>how did you improve your comfort

I bought a chair made by the best damn chair architect of all time and a nice alpaca blanket. Then a nice jielde lamp and a height-adjustable side table.

A little Calvino and it's the Ultimate Comfy.
>>
>>7609523
Oh god this is exactly what I need. Why is the lamp pointong to the ceiling.
>>
>>7609611
Because if I'm reading when it's dark, direct light on the page is too much. Pointing the lamp onto my white ceiling and letting it reflect will give me a much softer, more pleasant light.
>>
sat on my bed s m h

need to buy a comfy chair
>>
>>7609227
I've fashioned a dildo-light. Works both ways.
>>
>>7609523
That that's a comfy-looking nook.

I have big-ass solid oak-framed chair with a cushion and it's comfy as fuq. It's my main reading chair, but my nearest lamp isn't strong enough for after-dark reading (I can read fine, but my eyes start to hurt after a while). Just bought a nice little clip-on reading light (not some cheap shit, mind you) and I'm much more comfortable now.

I read in my car or at restaurants during lunch breaks but the time it takes to order food, eat, drive, etc., you only get fifteen minutes of decent reading in.
>>
>>7609523
Pros: Comfy Chair/Table Set-up; Nice Overall Aesthetic

Cons: Bookpiles aren't functional you cunt; That Glass looks fucking pretentious; Why the fuck do you have a flanel by your books; Why the fuck do you have your books in piles it looks fucking wank; that booze looks shit and I bet if you have any beer it's shit; that chair looks gay; that wall colour is gay; that blanket is an old perv's blanket; that table looks shit; why don't you have a cushion on your chair to use as a book rest; that glass looks stupid and the drink looks gay; there's a power supply underneath your flanel; you have too many meme books and meme translations; you probably vote for the green party
>>
>>7609523
That's looks comfy af. And your collection looks /lit/ af.
>>
>>7609759
It's a mixture of poshlost and meme-core
>>
>>7609749
The walls are white. It's just a bad photo.

What do you mean by flanel? Do you mean flannel as in the fabric? There is no flannel in the photograph.

My beer stash is quite good, I assure you. The booze in the glass is Sazerac 18.

>why don't you have a cushion on your chair to use as a book rest

What do you mean?

>there's a power supply underneath your flanel

What?

I don't understand half of what you are saying and if it's just a "funpost", I don't understand why you spent the time writing it.
>>
>>7609769
>ITT: jealousy
>>
>>7609732
Yeah, I read in restaurants for a while, but I only ever really got into the book by the time the food arrived and I can't eat and read simultaneously.
>>
>>7609782
I agree the books are "/lit/". /lit/ is synonymous with middlebrow.
>>
>>7609796
Why are you here?
>>
>>7609802
What a banal thing to ask.
>>
>>7609812
What a banal answer.
>>
>>7609818
That was an observation.
>>
>>7609822
It was a reply.
>>
File: 4chan_pol_logo.png (300 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
4chan_pol_logo.png
300 KB, 500x500
>>7609824
>>
>>7609829
Mediocre. No more words? Only memes?
>>
Usually I'll make a small fire outside, get my dog, and just sit on a log I've cut whilst reading and drinking tea.

If it's cold or bad weather, I'll hike out to my small cabin (that I built) with my dog and some overnight supplies (if necessary) and just read in it. Make a fire in the wood stove, lie down on my makeshift bed with my dog either on the ground or in the bed, and just read. I'll sit on the bed so I can drink or snack too.

Extremely comfortable.
>>
>>7609837
Juvenile. Romantic in the large sense. Slightly bogus.
>>
>>7609842
Can't read with my dog. Or even my cat. They keep vying for my attention. What type of dog do you have?
>>
>>7609858

Siberian retriever. She just relaxes around or wanders the area if not with me.
>>
>>7609842
This sounds comfy as fuck. Any pics?
>>
>>7609877

No. I am the only one that knows it exists (besides the goobers in this thread now). I want it completely away and unknown from people.
>>
>>7609871
That does sound comfy as fuck.
>>
File: 2016-01-21 13.23.26.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-21 13.23.26.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
This is mostly my Mom's spot, but I'm a NEET, so I'll usually read in pic related during the day when she's at work.
>>
>>7609523
w2c chair/light?
>>
>>7609523
what is that chair
>>
>>7609954
>>7609973
The chair is a Carl Hansen & Sons CH445 designed by Hans J. Wegner.

The light is a 5 armed Jielde lamp from 1957, fully refurbished and rewired by a good friend of mine.
>>
>>7609943
Looks comfy. What's that Dostojevskij next to the chair?
>>
>>7609943
Are you a 73 year old grandmother?
>>
>>7610020
Sorry to disappoint but that's House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski.
>>
>>7610007
cool ty ill prob pick up a couple. lokos v comfy.
>>
>>7610038
They are expensive as Fuck.
>>
>>7610049
i can afford it :)
>>
>>7610054
If so I hope you die in a proletariat revolution.
>>
>>7610067
i think ill be ok senpai
>>
>>7610030

That's cool too. What plans do you have for your future?
>>
>>7610091
I live in the Vancouver, BC area and recently I heard that [name redacted] dispensary is opening up several new stores; and so seeing that I'm thoroughly self-taught in cannabis botany, cultivation, history, sociology, etc. I sent them a killer cover letter and resume laying all these things out for them, and so I think I have a decent chance of getting the job. They told me they'd phone me back within a few weeks no matter what the outcome is, but I still make it my responsibility to phone them at least once a week, just to bug them. This has only been during the past two weeks, though.
Also if I score an interview I'll definitely be shaving, showering, getting an inch or two cut off my hair, which will then be brushed, etc. since that'll probably be my one and only shot to actually do something with my life. Pray for me, anon.
>>
>>7610123
Working in a dispensery would be so comfy. I'm in Alberta waiting for JT to pull the trigger on legalization so I can do that too.
>>
File: 2016-01-20 21.43.17.jpg (2 MB, 2322x4128) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-20 21.43.17.jpg
2 MB, 2322x4128
>>7610148
Totally unrelated, but I just picked a little more than an eighth last night. It was my birthday yesterday and seeing that the two friends I was gonna chill with bailed on me, and on top of sushi for dinner (my favourite), my Mom gave me forty bucks to pick up, so I bought 1g of Girl Scout Cookies (bottom); Master Kush (middle); and Lemon Haze (top). I think things are going to look up with a new year.
>>
>>7610123
Good luck dude! Sounds like things might be looking up for you. I sincerely hope it'll work out for you, but even if you don't the job I can guarantee you that it won't be your last chance at doing something awesome. I'll send some good vibes your way for now :)
>>
File: 0121161519_HDR.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
0121161519_HDR.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
Just moved, so this old couch until I get more furniture. (And more paychecks so it's decent furniture). I also write here. Terrible for posture but what can you do? I don't like the kitchen table, I never get writing done there, don't know why. I'm also busy, so haven't got around to building my desk.

>>7610173
Your mother gives you weed money? Do you smoke with her? Bizarre.
>>
>>7610184
Hey man, you want to exchange Goodreads profiles? Here's mine:
>https://www.goodreads.com/kringaz
>>
>>7610173
Yes, the fact that you had $40 to buy pot totally portends a fantastic year for you. It's a reliable method of predicting the future.
>>
>>7610190
And no, I don't smoke with her, but she knows that a) I enjoy it; and b) without it my depression would be too severe for me to handle.
>>
>>7610190
That's actually a pretty cool throw over, anon.
Do you enjoy it as much as the little fellow?
>>
>>7610173
I'm pretty jealous of BC. I bet the sushi on the coast is great too.
>>
>>7610340
One of my good friends made it for me a while back, knitted it herself. Her graduation gifts when we all moved different states were knitted items that had our different university colors on them.

Yes, he is a great kitty who just wants to sit on my lap when reading, typing, or anything that makes me sedentary for more than 5 minutes.

>>7610196
Hopefully you aren't exacerbating any mental issues you already have.

I don't mind weed [fuck I live in CO], but I wouldn't spend my father's money on it. The only time I've spent his "money" on things like booze or something is when he gave me a Visa gift card for my birthday. How do you not feel guilty?
>>
>>7610403
>I live in CO
>not calling that a Broncos throw

C'mon man. (Fellow Coloradbro here, btw)
>>
>>7610428
I went to university at Auburn. It could double as a Broncos throw, same colors, alas I'm a Panthers fan.
>Not bandwagon, been a fan since Cam and Artis-Payne went there
>>
>>7610451
>random: would that be "alas I am a Panthers fan" or "but alas I am a Panthers fan" or "but I am a Panthers fan" /lit/?

Is "but alas" proper grammar or redundant?
>>
Read at work since that consists of sitting at a desk 5-8 hours doing literally nothing

At home is for movies, tv etc that requires sound
>>
>>7610457
I think it's fine how it is. Maybe the comma could be a semi-colon instead.
>>
>>7609123
get that bitch some wireless headphones
>>
>>7609523
what's in the glencairn, senpai?
>>
>>7610597
Sazerac 18
>>
>>7610007
Nice I think I'll get one for my study. And if I like it I'll order 4 more for my other reading spots
>>
>>7609749
>Pros: Looks nice
>Cons: Looks shit

le edgy contrarian meme
>>
>>7610678
Why do you have such luxurious furniture and liquor but sit in an attic with your books kept on the floor?

Also what's the thing on the wall above the socket next to the books?
>>
File: reading.jpg (131 KB, 957x536) Image search: [Google]
reading.jpg
131 KB, 957x536
here
>>
>>7609523
All that high level patrish shit mixed with pleb shit like that zombie guide
>>
>>7611223

>All that high level patrish shit

And even then you can tell that he just skimmed a few chart threads here and that is it. He isn't the kind of reader that does his homework.
>>
>>7611325
The Hitchens tells me all I need to know, anon.
>>
File: Howie Hawlking.jpg (26 KB, 452x640) Image search: [Google]
Howie Hawlking.jpg
26 KB, 452x640
>>7611201
>reading the road
>not laying against a tree in the snowy tundra outside to increase immersion.
>>
>>7611201
is that some sort of an incense stick holder thing? looks pretty cool
>>
>>7609523
what is that curved thing on the table

ash tray?
>>
>>7610458
Where the hell can I get a job like this? What do you do?
>>
>>7611119
Because my second floor has 45 degree walls and I think it makes for a more cozy reading enviroment. The rest of my house is normal, but the 2nd floor's angle ceiling makes it more of a "nook".

The only problem this poses is that all of my previous bookcases from the first floor were too tall and now have nowhere to be. So all of the books I read just started stacking up on the floor. I'm considering ordering a modular shelving system like the Mogens Koch system, or something similar, I've just not gotten it done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcEYaEmxTcw

The thing in the wall is a stuffed hole. It is literally a 15cm hole in the wall drilled originally for ventilation use, but has become redundant. So until I pull myself together and plaster it up, stuffing it with an old towel will do.

>>7611223
I never throw away a book. I bought the zombie guide back in 2004 when reading that sort of thing was entertaining to me. I found it again a few months back and briefly flipped through it, it thereby entering the stack. Same goes for some of the other stuff. Sorry for not being legit patrish, I know. Sorry to have let you down and not kept to the quality standards of this board. I apologize.

>>7611492
It's a small Georg Jensen leaf tray that I put business cards in which I then use as bookmarks.
>>
i write my own novels without regard to grammar, then send them off to an editor. once i get the final copy, i read it. that's how i read, just about a hundred novels, where i'm the author.

i try my best to avoid reading parts i've already written, so that when i read the final product it's like it's completely new. of course this causes plot holes and inconsistencies but it's worth it.

i usually read on my porch
>>
>>7611700
just curious what you do for a living considering that chair can cost upwards of $5,000
>>
File: 011 - vwj39XA.png (913 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
011 - vwj39XA.png
913 KB, 680x680
>>7611700
I get so envious watching woodworking videos because I used to take a woodshop class in highschool. I did it for 2 years and loved it, but for my senior two years my parents forced me to take all science electives. I see this video and feel like I was robbed of what could have been a passion, or even a career of mine. Stings everytime.
>>
>>7611713
Corporate consulting. I tell people what to do with their companies with zero accountability for results.

>>7611716
I also took advanced woodworking classes years ago and I loved it immensly. Sadly, I never got to use it professionally, but it gave me a real appreciation for fine craftsmanship.

If you want to watch something really cool, check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN5AKM33xO8

It's narrated in Danish, but the work speaks for itself. Take for example the cord weaving part; It looks like a standard square weave, but in fact the seat is 12cm wider in the front than the back, but the weave still has to be symmetrical, so you have to make 18 extra corners on every front corner using a complex technique. This is so hard that currently there are only two cord weavers in Denmark allowed to handle the Peacock chair weaving, namely Knud and Leif in the video. It takes around three hours per seat, and 170 meters of cord. The holes for the pegs used to be drilled by hand, but the woodworkers found it so tedious that they refused to do it, as it would take hours for every seat, and if the holes weren't just right, the pegs would not fit, so they opted to invest in a cnc drill. Still, the chair is so time consuming and tedious to make, they only produce 70 chairs per year and only to order.

It's not too late to start woodworking again, if that's what you really want.
>>
>>7611763
Incredible video. It's such an amazing craft.
>>
>>7611700
I see, I didn't expect someone with a whole house to himself to make his reading spot upstairs, threw me off. Thought you were an eccentric living with his mother spending all his cash on Danish design or something.

Great taste though, nobody can fuck with the Danes as far as modern furniture goes. Got any more of that type of stuff in your house?
>>
>>7611716
>letting ur parents control ur whole life

y so many chinks on lit, i kno u dudes have small dicks but at least grow a pair of balls
>>
>>7611689
It's not worth it. Doing nothing all day rly sucks
>>
File: received_10153471493291848.jpg (107 KB, 1080x1237) Image search: [Google]
received_10153471493291848.jpg
107 KB, 1080x1237
This thread gave me some faith in lit again.
>>
>>7612036
I got some nice old Eilersen leather sofas from before production got moved to China.

My dinner table chairs are refurbishes wishbone chairs from the 80's. The little height-adjustable table next to my chair is a modern Fritz Hansen table.

Also got a bunch of Louis Poulsen lamps.

>Got any more of that type of stuff in your house?
Please don't rob my home.

It's a shame that the Eames chair is so much more known than a lot of Danish stuff. I've talked to so many people that consider it the "holy grail" of chairs. The Eames Chair is uncomfortable. It does not support the head at all and it arches your back to a very poor position. The armrests are too short. The leather feels cheap to the touch and the rest is just foam and shell veneer. It costs three times as much as it should. Rubbish. You could pick any chair ever designed by Hans J. Wegner and it would blow the Eames chair out of the water. You know what you will never see on Wegner furniture? Screws and bolts and stickers.

Just check out the difference between the construction of a Wegner and the Eames.
Wegner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0nsK6v4c4Y

Eames: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3lOwDnRXjg
>>
>>7612073
I think the Eames is pretty (although I've only seen it in pictures) but it does seem uncomfortable to me, especially since I'm 6'3". Pic related. doesn't look pleasant.

Seeing as you know your furniture, do you have anything you recommend to poorfags as far as reading chairs go?

Also, have you ever sat in one of those Arne Jacobsen egg chairs? I think they look great but don't necessarily seem comfortable.
>>
>>7612110
>pic related
Yes, you are exactly right. That photo showcases exactly what is wrong the the Eames chair. It pitches you too far back with no head support, and your back is crumpled together.

I've sat in egg chairs many times, never been impressed. They are made for short/Asian people. It's also twice as expensive as it should be. The price, like the Eames chair, is a result of icon recognition.

The Egg chair, while a classic icon of modern Danish furniture, is not a comfortable chair.

How poor is poor? I've spent hours and hours reading in wishbone chairs. You can both sit upright and in lounge position in them. You can get a wishbone chair for 600 bucks and you'll have it for life (if you get one that isn't painted, but natural soaped or oiled wood). If you already got a coffee table to prop your legs up if desired, you'd be all set.
>>
>>7612125
Not him, but what do you think of old chesterfield leather chairs? Also, where do you get all your knowledge from? Interior design has always been something that vaguely interest me but I never know where to start with it all.
>>
>>7612132
Old chesterfield leather chairs depending on the model can be quite comfortable. I had two a few years back. Nice stuff. The sofas on the other hand are awful, at least the ones I tried.

>Also, where do you get all your knowledge from?
Books. I have many books on furniture design and Scandinavian design. I have a whole book about nothing but Wegner. Also just going out to places where they stock the actual furniture and try it out, studying it, finding out what works and what doesn't, speaking to the elder salesmen who have handled the furniture for years and how it has changed over time. I took advanced woodworking courses years ago and the guy who was teaching was a former PP-Moebler craftsman. He always spent time explaining which methods are the best and how nobody other than a select few Danish workshops still use them as they are too expensive and time consuming. But in the end, the Danish stuff lasts. You can take a fifty year old PP-19 lounge chair, strip the fabric/leather and re-do it with new and the chair will be like it was made yesterday. That's one of the reasons Wegner pretty much never used screws in his constructions. They fall apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNq4yqZuu3A

I know it's a commercial, but it's still super fascinating.
>>
>>7612125
Like <€12k a year eurowelfare poor. The wishbone looks like a great (desk) chair but I was looking for something a little more loungy.

I wouldn't mind spending two or three grand on a chair of it would last me a lifetime though.
>>
>>7612150
Any books you would recommend for a beginner?
>>
File: get-butterfly-wal-cream-p[1].jpg (82 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
get-butterfly-wal-cream-p[1].jpg
82 KB, 900x900
>>7612152
If you are willing to invest that amount into a chair, there is nothing better than the Wegner Butterfly chair. Get it in natural wood finish with Hallingdal 65 wool fabric and you will have it for life. Sleek, well made, exceptionally comfortable. Still, I would always recommend to find one and sit in it before buying.

>>7612158
http://www.bookdepository.com/Hans-J-Wegner-Christian-Holmstedt-Olesen/9783775738095

Expensive, but well worth it. You also get to see Wegner's blueprint drawings, which were so detailed, that from just one drawing, a good maker could do the whole piece without additional information.
>>
>>7612172
Thank you for all your help anon.
>>
>>7609749
No cons then.
>>
>>7609749
i'd add that the most "patrish" i.e. meme selections in that pile have not been read and the bozo even has two copies of brothers k, both unread.
>>
>>7612183
No head rest.
>>
>>7612172
Thanks for the advice, I live pretty austerely but a nice thing to sit down in throughout the years seems one of the most sensible investments I could make given all the hours I spend sitting. I guess I'm going to look for some high end furniture shops because as you say, blowing a lot of money on a chair you've never sat in doesn't seem like a good idea.

What kind of desk chair do you have, by the way?
>>
>>7612175
No problem. I hope you enjoy it.

>>7612191
As long as you are in the EU, you should be able to find a shop that has some stuff on display.

My desk chair is a mid-nineties green leather Thonet desk chair. Discontinued, and there are no pics available of it online for some strange reason. I'm considering having the leather stripped and getting it redone in Hallingdal 65. The leather on the armrests is starting to wear thin.

It looks a bit like pic related, but olive green and with thicker back and seat as well as leather on the armrests.
>>
File: IMG-20160105-WA0023.jpg (77 KB, 364x364) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160105-WA0023.jpg
77 KB, 364x364
>tfw I created this thread to get some ideas and most of it is talk about expensive furniture I can't afford and criticism about that one photo

I think I'm going to keep reading on my bed and die poor and uncomfortable then.
>>
>>7612210
What did you want? Ideas about what? How to be comfy? Only you know the answer to that.
>>
>>7612218
Affordable furniture or some tricks like sit on a chair and then put a cushion between your head and right shoulder sort of thing.
It was an interesting read tough. Furniture-sensei knows his way around.
>>
>>7612229
You want cheap, comfortable furniture, then go to Ikea. It will last three years, but it will be fine for that duration.

I have no pillow-placement lifehax.

Light a candle, sit in your sofa with a blanket over your legs and a soft yellow light behind you. Done.
>>
>>7612233
Is yellow better than white light for reading? If so, why?
>>
>>7612246
I find yellow light more comfy.
>>
>>7609523
I want to be your gf anon
>>
>>7612351
I don't trust there to be any girls on this board.
>>
>>7609523
I am so jealous of your life.
>>
File: feminister.jpg (141 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
feminister.jpg
141 KB, 720x720
>>7612370
you'd be mistaken
>>
>>7612396
Yeah right.
>>
>>7612061
Lol, did you think you'd be doing nothing all day when you applied?
>>
>>7612061
At least you're getting paid for doing nothing. I do nothing too but I'm NEET
>>
File: 1449380358564.jpg (38 KB, 604x437) Image search: [Google]
1449380358564.jpg
38 KB, 604x437
>>7609523
>the expensive paperback edition of Moby Dick at the bottom being warped under the weight of all the books

Why even buy expensive books if you're going to ruin them?
>>
>>7612775
mate he has a 5k chair i dont think "expensive" is the right word to describe an in print paperback
>>
>>7612396
solid 6/10
>>
>>7612150
which chesterfield chairs did you own?
what model would you recommend?
>>
File: lapdesk.jpg (3 MB, 3755x2503) Image search: [Google]
lapdesk.jpg
3 MB, 3755x2503
in bed and sometimes on sofa with kindle paperwhite propped in lap desk (both were gifts I didn't choose myself, but I like them both quite a bit)
>>
File: QueenAnne_AR_0734-RT[1].jpg (367 KB, 1920x960) Image search: [Google]
QueenAnne_AR_0734-RT[1].jpg
367 KB, 1920x960
>>7612929
I had this model. Buy it used. If you tire of it, you can sell it for the same price you paid.
>>
Anyone /preparingforsnowstorm/ here?

Gonna be sitting in armchair with quality sencha and candlelight by my side while reading Walser by a fire.
>>
>>7609523
i remember you...did you get rid of that filing cabinet thing finally?
>>
>>7613203
Yes I did. Replaced it with a sleek sidetable.
>>
>>7612496
newfag
>>
>>7613521
Who is she?
>>
>>7609210

ooo
>>
>>7609749
jelly much?
>>
>>7609523
we have the same edition of blood meridian :3
>>
>>7609523
this guy is cool. he shows up in threads and talks about weird stuff and everyone comments about his books being stacked on the wall and he just laughs like a true patrician. probably my favorite anon on /lit/
>>
>>7611763
I can't find the link but you should YouTube Gucci Japan videos where they did a series called Gucci Hand where they examined hand crafted items from around Japan. In particular, one man makes Captain's Chests fully by hand. Fantastic to watch and such fine craftsmanship.
>>
>>7612073
That Eames video is ridiculous. Did they really feel as though it made their process look high end? Like, you can't artfully reach into a preselected box of screws... Just dumb.
>>
>>7614227
It's the good one.
>>
>>7609523
Two copies of Moby-Dick?
>>
File: arion-press-publications3[1].jpg (188 KB, 650x407) Image search: [Google]
arion-press-publications3[1].jpg
188 KB, 650x407
>>7615124
I was halfway through the clothbound Penguin edition and I didn't like the feel of the pages. Too fragile. So I ordered the University of California Press edition, which is an imprint of the infamous Arion Press edition. Much better feel, and the bio-study like graphics really aided in the immersion.
>>
Why does this thread have so many nice people?
>>
>>7615250
Because it's not filled with people trying to show off their pretentious taste in literature.
>>
>>7614255
I don't understand why there are always people saying he hasn't even read any of the books, despite no evidence to support the claim.

what kind of logic is that?

>fuck this dude he isnt legit he probably hasnt even read any of those books

>/lit/
>>
>>7609523

$6000 for a chair that probably costs 250 to make

Absolute pleb
>>
>>7616159
What do you know about production costs in Denmark?
>>
>>7612172
Nice - i've been looking for a project. That butterfly chair looks comfy and quite easy to build.
>>
>>7616179
I'm a Danish carpenter
>>
>>7616179
I don't give a fuck about how much some artisan charges for his labour. I'm talking objectively - the materials involved
>>
>>7616159
250USD isn't enough for the wool fabric alone. Kvadrat Hallingdal 65 costs around 100USD per meter, and you need at least five meters minimum. The Danish beech wood used for the chair is between 150 and 200 years old. Very, very expensive wood. Then there is the time it actually takes to make the chair, which is several days with Danish pay. The steel legs are hand made and hand polished in Denmark, which is also an expensive process.

Production costs total for the chair will probably amount to 40-50% of the sale price, which is actually insanely high.

>>7616206
People need to be paid and labor costs are very high in Denmark. One of the reasons that Fritz Hansen moved production to Poland and Eilersen moved to China. PP Moebler and Carl Hansen stayed in Denmark because that's where the quality materials and workmanship are.

If you are that mad about such a margin, then you would explode if I told you the cost-margins of an iPhone or your computer or even a paperback of Gravity's Rainbow.
>>
>>7616197
Go for it. The hardest part will be sourcing good materials though.
>>
>>7616230
You're just shutting fuckers down tonight, huh?
>>
>>7616354
No, I think it's fair enough. It's a natural response to be very critical about expensive products. And if you aren't familiar with how they are produced and what goes into them, of course you are going to be skeptical. I know the chair is stupid expensive for 99.99% of people, but I happen to have a huge interest in the history and the production methods behind it. It will last me my lifetime and for that alone I can rationalize the price I payed. But if you don't have an interest in mid-50's Danish organic functionalism furniture, then you all you are seeing is a 5-7k chair. Which is completely understandable.
>>
>>7613185
Yeah, I got pajamas on and I'm lying on my couch with a blanket over me. A steaming cup of tea on the coffee table. Snow outside. It's nice.
>>
>>7616206
You're absolutely right. Go get those same raw materials, throw them onto your floor, and then you can tell me how comfortable that is. Retard.
>>
>>7616394
You make me even more eager to graduate and actually find a job.
>tfw no internship this summer
>tfw already behind in the hiring process when I graduate because of it
End me.
>>
>>7616230
>>7616159

I seriously don't understand the attitude people have toward expensive goods. When you buy expensive craft goods you are supporting skilled artisans who are apparently undervalued and under appreciated. It's sad people will shit on such high quality goods for being expensive, yet get excited over cheap iphones made possible by globalized labour done by children.
>>
>>7617462
I blame this new wave of communism sweeping the youth.
>>
Fuck you all and your quaint comfy chairs. Here in Australia if you sit in a leather chair you're gonna be drenched in sweat and your shirt will be grafted to your back within 10 minutes.

I read lying down on my side on my bed with the fan on and an iced coffee
>>
>>7617498
It's the exact opposite. International capitalism has caused people to be used to products made by exploited third worlders so when they have to pay a normal price they are shocked.

We're accustomed to slave labour.
>>
>>7617462
/fa/ here, I know what you mean. People are disgusted when they find out how much I spent on a pair of shoes, even though they're made from beautiful Italian calf leather or my woolen blazer that I've worn for 5 years and is still in good condition. Buy nice not twice is what I like to say

>>7617462
>>7617508
Honestly I blame both to be honest. Capitalism has forced the price of everything downwards and created artificial desire for things people don't need. But this new wave of socialism gives people the idea that luxury items are a sign of poor character (but then as you said they'll spend money on the newest iPhone because it's kewl)
>>
>>7617541
Which new wave of socialism?
>>
>>7617541
>>7617508
Let it be said that this issue is a symptom of 'consumer capitalism' not just capitalism itself.
>>
>>7617553
There's definitely one at my University. (I can post some photos if you want but I've done it on /his/ a few times and it generally derails the thread)
>>
>>7617541
That's that 'fast fashion' cancer. People don't mind buying 10 dollar shirts and throwing them out whenever but a 100 dollar shirt that lasts more than ten of their ten dollar shirts is ridiculous to them.
>>
File: stalin.png (671 KB, 552x816) Image search: [Google]
stalin.png
671 KB, 552x816
>>7617568
Do you mean actual socialism or 'American liberals that like the welfare state'?
>>
>>7617577
Well they put up posters like this everywhere, but I still suspect they belong to your latter
>>
>>7609123
>dating a pleb
>>
>>7617591
>ideas to challenge the system
>university marxist club
I'm left-wing myself, but holy shit, I HATE people who are involved with these groups.

I once went to a socialist club meeting at my university, at the behest of a qt I was pursuing. I had to leave because I got so frustrated by their fucking smug ignorance and I didn't want to cause a scene in front of the girl.
>>
>>7617615
>I had to leave because I got so frustrated by their fucking smug ignorance
I know exactly what you mean, they protest ad hand out flyers at the entrance to my university. One day out of curiosity a friend and I spoke to them and it was just so obvious that they had no grasp on history or the nature of politics. They really do just argue based on feelings rather than any real logic
>>
>>7609523
patrician af, do you live in an attic?
>>
>>7612351
>>7612396
saw this girl posted before, nice try
>>
>>7612396

kek

didin't feminister turn out to be a male troll?
>>
Was going to make a new thread on a semi-relevant topic, so I guess I'll post here.

I find it difficult to read in my room because I'm secretly a pleb who lacks the discipline to stay away from my laptop/tablet/phone, and I always get distracted. I'm looking for somewhere new to read. Ideally I'd go somewhere like a quiet coffee shop, but I'm literally too poor to buy 2-3 mugs of coffee each day.

Anyone know of any similar but cheaper alternatives? If anyone has the same problem, what was your solution?
>>
>>7617723
Just use a smaller side room and get a chair, lamp, side table, etc and you're all set.
>>
>>7617723
Library, park bench, take a picnic rug an lay in a park, I read by the pool a lot.

Else download one of those chrome extensions that locks your internet from whatever websites you want for an hour and can't be turned off
>>
>>7610190
Welcome to Vancouver
>>
>>7611716
Bruh you got cucked hard by your parents no less.
>>
>>7617741
I'm a student at the moment (hence why I'm so poor), so all I have is a bedroom, a shared kitchen, and a shared shower/toilet room. When I stay at my parent's place I like to take 1-2 hour long baths and read there, that way I can focus much more.

>>7617750
I live in England so all of those outside options are just not suitable, it's raining all the time at the moment. I could go to the university library maybe, but it's a good 45 minute walk from my place and it's usually packed with normies messing around.
>>
>>7617775
Well I'm afraid discipline is your best option friend
>>
>>7612370
you haven't checked the tinychat
>>
>>7617690
yes, a very conflicted one that made /adv/ posts about how to deal with the imaginary girlfriend he was roleplaying himself on /lit/. forgot to take off his trip.

this lad spend months if not longer LARPing his ideal gf and posting as both himself and the made up girl across boards.
>>
>>7617773
it happens
>>
I recently started reading standing up. doesn't work that well with heavier books that need two hands to hold up, but otherwise I like it.
>>
What is a good book on furniture and interior design? I don't really care for the aesthetics, my prime concern lies with comfort.
>>
>>7619605
http://www.bookdepository.com/Scandinavian-Design-Charlotte-Fiell-Peter-Fiell/9783836544528

http://www.bookdepository.com/Sourcebook-of-Scandinavian-Furniture-Judith-Gur/9780393733877
>>
>>7617796
The tinychat seems kill as of late though
>>
>>7617773
Yep.
>>
I don't like reading at home
I like to find places perched up high like on this tall hill near where I live or on the bypass with noise isolating IEMs listening to indie rock

That's my preference, but usually I read after work in this one cafe that has a view of the sea side, I never order anything there, I always pack Mi Goreng + egg and tea in an insulated bottle

I find it irritating to read at home with my computer near by, also only have my bed and computer chair to read on
>>
>>7617723

I read in my uni library a lot, but you said that's too far , but surely if you're at uni in the day you could read there between classes? Also, is there a smaller locsl library for you suburb that is closer? This may be shit, depending on your area....

Does you house not have a living room with chairs and couches? Even if you have just a dining table you could sit there with a nice drink and read.

You could also sit in backyard with a rug/blanket over you or something
>>
>>7621601
Our out on the Street on a Rug.
>>
I sleep mostly in the bed or in a comfy armchair covered in a blanket, though I do love to read on the train.
>>
>>7617506
>an Australian who reads books
mind blown
>>
>>7625603
she's just shitposting probably
>>
>>7623453
You sleep mostly in the bed?
>>
>>7625618
>she's
wait a minute.
How do you know it's a she?
>>
>>7627720
know your (ex-)tripfags m8
>>
i read in my bed
>>
>>7627925
pathetic
>>
>>7627953
wew ;)
>>
>>7609125
underrated kek
>>
>>7610173
I was faded as hell with those girl scout cookies, ended up rereading Huckleberry
>>
>>7609112
reading in comfort gets me sleepy.
i discovered that i preferred reading while in a moving vehicle on your way to work/school
careful though, there's actually a way to avoid that sick feeling...
>>
>>7609227
wut?
>>
>>7609784
you are not alone anon. reading to pass the time while waiting for your food, only to accidentally get to a climactic part in the chapter when the food arrives.
>>
>>7609796
>>7609802
>>7609812
>>7609818
>>7609822
>>7609824
>>7609829
>>7609837
>>7609846

just make out already you two
Thread replies: 200
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.