[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was the Buddha a theist?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (188 KB, 1200x922) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
188 KB, 1200x922
Was the Buddha a theist?
>>
Yes.
>>
Apatheist.
>>
Yes and a misogynist who enforced class oppression. He was far more violent than Confucius, Jesus or Muhammad.
>>
File: Devilstache.jpg (40 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
Devilstache.jpg
40 KB, 620x465
>>7609093
>>7609415
Is Justin Trudeau the new Buddha?
>>
>>7609093

no, a Theist believes that there exists a god that created the universe

we have no reason to believe Buddha was theist as he never stated what he believed
>>
File: 1450326493515.jpg (71 KB, 480x389) Image search: [Google]
1450326493515.jpg
71 KB, 480x389
>>7609493
no
>>
>>7609093
Originally he pretty much upheld the regular tenants and cosmology of early Hinduism silently, so kinda, he kind of didn't comment on it as a means to an end of recruiting followers
>>
>>7609093
he looks like he could play in Gojira, if Gojira was shitty.
>>
>>7609710
Nice hair though.
>>
No one in this thread knows what they're talking about

Why is this board routinely one of the most arrogantly ignorant cesspits on this whole site
>>
>>7609781
He explicitly rejected the Hindu Atman and exhorted his followers to always critically examine the words of holy men if it agreed with their intuitions/reason you dolt
>>
>>7609909
I hate when people do this without saying anything substantial. What a dumb way to feel superior.
>>
>>7609093
OP, do you mean to say, "a theist" or "atheist"?
>>
>>7609914
He also was tempted by maru under a tree
>>
He wasn't just a theist, he was the most ist.
>>
>>7609415
Oh yeah, muhammed the warlord was such a saint.
>>
I'm interested in the answer to this, as I have always had a casual interest in Buddhism - this question, about the Buddha's faith or lack thereof, specifically. But y'all are gonna have to start justifying and/or sourcing your arguments lmaooo. I'm sick of every philosophy/religion thread devolving into a bunch of dorks yelling "'he/text was/is x!'; 'no, you insolent naive, he/text was/is y!'" You're turning a dialogue into a circlejerk. It's especially meaningless for peeps like me, who know little about the subject.
>>
How do we know his original message and preaching didnt get corrupted? No body knows for sure what he believed. I bet he did believe in something higher. He believed in fucking hungry ghosts but not a deity? Apparently modern buddhists beleive in gods(devas) but not a creator god. So who the fuck knows? Buddha may have never existed
>>
>>7610500
Who cares? The only way Buddha is relevant is through Buddhist doctrines and their applicability. Whether he himself was this or that or just a meme doesn't matter.

He's not like Jesus in the sense that his entire ideology depends on him being one specific thing or not.
>>
>>7610493

I sincerely hope you didn't come here for an education.
>>
>>7610493
Maybe you should read up on the subject rather than expect everyone to make their shitposting accessible.
>>
What about Mahavira?
>>
I could've sworn that the Buddha explicitly stated that there existed no supreme power / supreme organizational structure (at least, I've been told this by some followers) with one of the only passages coming close is the Buddha not answering one priest's questions about the universe being caused or uncaused or both.
>>
Everything about Buddhism depends on which sect you ask. If you want there to be a deity, find the right fags to tell you what you want.
>>
In Buddhism there are celestial beings but no creator God, only a celestial being called Brahma who was the first being to come into existence in this world cycle and so mistakenly believes that he is the creator

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.049.than.html
>>
>>7611002
Sounds a bit like gnosticism.
>>
>>7611002
Furthermore it is important to note that devas and celestial beings are not venerated in Buddhism, still being tied hand and foot to sensuality and lust for becoming.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sagga/index.html
>>
>>7611012
Here is a useful summary of the possible planes of existence:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sagga/loka.html
>>
immaterial sphere live for 84,000 aeons.

All beings — human, sub-human, devas, and brahmas — die. All except arahants are reborn in one or another of the thirty-one planes. No being lasts forever. Arahants have eradicated all mental defilements and have thereby eliminated the causes for rebirth with its attendant suffering. They are not reborn after death. Instead, they attain Parinibbana, the complete, permanent cessation of every form of existence. For all non-arahants, death is immediately followed by rebirth. The plane of birth is determined by the kamma that becomes operative at the moment of death. This could be any volition created in the present life or in any previous existence.
>>
>>7611044
didn't buddha say that to reach Arahant one must live 10,000 lives?
>>
>>7610272
Religion of peace anon
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.