[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books I've decided to pick by the end of this month: 1)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5
File: images.jpg (48 KB, 490x300) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
48 KB, 490x300
Books I've decided to pick by the end of this month:

1) Brothers Karamazov
2) Crime and Punishment
3) Lolita
4) Don Quixote
5) Anna Karenina
6) The Trial
7) The Search of Lost Time
8) The Devine Comedy
9) War and Peace
10) Les Miserable

Is my taste good? What should I expect from each book in the list? Which books in the list should I avoid? Also, suggest good translations.
>>
>>7609042
What do you mean by pick by the end of this month?
>>
>>7609042
STFU and stop posting. Lurk for a year. Come back.
>>
>>7609042
How could we tell if your taste is good, that is a list of books you have never read.
>>
>>7609042
>taste
nigga you're clearly just getting into reading, just read shit that's going to get you motivated to read and stop worrying about how you look. The Brothers K is not gonna hook you, neither will half those books
>>
>>7609044
"By pick" I mean purchase.

>>7609045
Go away. Come again another day.
>>
>>7609047
My taste in picking up those books, duh.
>>
That's going to take you quite some time and shouldn't avoid any of them. What kind of question is that anyway? Read them and form your own opinions, although your obviously a new reader and I'm not sure you can keep up with all that.
Using google to find great works has nothing to do with your taste, but yeah, you have some good literature there.
Just make sure to research properly before choosing translations.
>>
>>7609052
You are going to get roasted hard in this thread (assuming it's not a troll).
But, how much have you read up to now?
>>
>>7609042
>is my taste good
Well the books are hardly representative of your taste if you've never read them you fucking idiot.
>>7609048
Also this, start with something more accessible.
>>
>>7609058
You're *
>>
>>7609052

He is right though, you should just get off of /lit/ and read most of those and come back in a year. The fact that you would list all those books and then ask if your taste is good and also want people to take the time to post information about all of those books reveals that you only came to /lit/ very recently and probably come from reddit.

Buying books does not mean you have good taste especially since you probably would not have bought most of them without seeing them frequently on /lit/. Your post that started this thread is basically going "hey guys I bought all these books liked by /lit/, am I sophisticated yet? do I fit in yet?"

Just stop posting and read them and only lurk on /lit/ until you have read a good amount of those.
>>
>>7609059
>how much have you read up to now?
To be honest, NOTHING.
>>
>>7609066
I would start with other books then. You will probably think most of these are boring and you won't fully understand what is going on.
>>
>>7609072
>I would start with other books then.
Please suggest some, so I could get back and finish reading all the books in the list.
>>
Maybe you should just read the books and fuck off. Nobody gives a shit about you reading a few popular books.

Just have your own opinions and read them, nobody's gonna be like 'Great effort anon! Really patrician taste there!'

Also Dostoevsky is shit
Anna Karenina isn't a good choice for a pleb
Don Quixote isn't a good choice for a pleb
MOM'S GONNA FREAK is a better start for Cafe
In Search of Lost Time is not a good choice for a pleb
The Divine Comedy isn't a good choice for a pleb

8/10 bait tho
>>
>>7609078
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. You can't go wrong.
>>
>>7609078

High quality/decent literature that is still relatively easy to read and not-too-boring for new readers:

War & Peace
Inherent Vice
The Odyssey
The Stranger
Naked Lunch
Earth Abides
We
Kafka's short stories
2666 (maybe)
>>
>>7609042
all excellent books - of the bunch I'd probably start with Lolita...easiest read and you'll understand Nabokov references that are pervasive in society.
>>
File: Novellas_1.3.jpg (807 KB, 1988x2085) Image search: [Google]
Novellas_1.3.jpg
807 KB, 1988x2085
>>7609098
War and Peace? Ok bud.

Op, you should be looking at these.
>>
>>7609098
>>7609105
Thanks guys, I'll add them to the list. Any other?
>>
Don't listen to these fags, except for Proust and maybe The Divine Comedy those books are perfectly appropriate for a new readers. Just be sure to sit down and read for at least 1h everyday and to be constantly thinking instead of just passively running your eyes across the page.
>>
>>7609109
Thanks mate.
>>
>>7609117
>Just be sure to sit down and read for at least 1h everyday and to be constantly thinking instead of just passively running your eyes across the page.
Sure, sir.
>>
File: bible-rp.jpg (406 KB, 900x1098) Image search: [Google]
bible-rp.jpg
406 KB, 900x1098
>>7609113
You should start with the Bible desu. All of those books contain subtle references that will go right over your head if haven't read it.
>>
>>7609131
Holy Molly!
>>
>>7609113
Isaac Babel - Short Stories
>>
>>7609113
as the guy who posted the list of the 8 or 9 easy-but-good books I would add

For Whom the Bell Tolls
Siddhartha

Heart of Darkness is good but intermediate difficulty, it should be read after reading maybe 4 or 5 of the other books listed first. The vocabulary isn't hard but the sentences are a little dense and long. Its a good stepping stone to higher-tier stuff after you have a few under your belt.
>>
>>7609131
Cool reading plan. Is it better than just reading the whole thing in order (all of genesis then all of exodus, etc.)?
>>
>>7609138
Thank you.
>>
>>7609042

>Is my taste good?

No. It's what Nabokov would call poshlost, what Woolf would call middle-brow, what I would call faggotry.

Bad touch with the spelling errors. Gives it away. You should be aiming for greater subtlety.
>>
>>7609142
Hmm...Siddhartha I agree with. Really enjoyed the ending scene at the river.

For Whom the Bell Tolls - used to be a huge Hem fan as a high schooler...doesn't "ring true" these days so much. I reread Sun Also Rises a few years ago before heading to Pamplona...enjoyed it more.
>>
>>7609151
thread/
>>
>>7609146
np - his red cavalry stories are brutal but wonderful.
>>
>>7609143
I think it makes it more interesting. But if you want something straight through, and a more aggressive reading plan, I recommend the Bible in 90 days.

http://www.thebrooknetwork.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/BibleIn90Days.pdf
>>
>>7609177
eh the point is just to read - although getting past swann's way would be challenging I can't fault the guy for trying to swing for some of the great books. Hence, start with lolita from that list.
>>
>>7609151
>You should be aiming for greater subtlety.
Any recs?
>>
>>7609042

What music, movies or videogames do you like OP? What is your age? Do you like technology, history, war, romance?
All these books are considered classic literature, but they are so very different. I've never read Anna Karenina, because it bores me to the limit, but I enjoyed the Miserables. Classic literature is not one thing.
Some prefer Dostojevski and others prefer Vern.
One is a political-social writer, the other is scientific "fiction".
Oh, and your taste is not "good". It's not taste at all. It's random very well known titles . Some of these books suck (as much as classic literature could suck, which is not that much).
>>
>>7609151

Kierkegaard would call it a "spidsborger" in Danish. I believe the English (very poor) translation is usually "automatic cultural man". In his defence, the Danish word isn't nearly as autistic or ugly.

To save this trainwreck of a thread, can people come up with other terms to describe this particular strain of vulgarity OP is presenting? So far poshlost, middlebrow and spidsborger all apply.
>>
>>7609042
Man, you can't even spell half of those correctly. You are clearly just starting out and I wouldnt recommend those books, as they will probably bore you out, except for maybe The Trial and Lolita.
>>
>>7609276

Crime and Punishment and Don Quixote especially aren't too boring either, tbqh.
>>
>>7609267

I'm trying to make /lit/ great again, not giving the trolls even more tools to make me question reality.

Seriously, these last few days the trolls have been too sophisticated, too perfect. While it used to be relatively easy to identify a troll, lately, they're becoming perfect simulacra of sincere stupidity. The kind of trolls that lure you into trying to be of assistance, then casually and very gradually aggravate you through their subtle idiocy, all the while seeming so earnest that you can't help but think them sincere.

Hyperreality is real.
>>
>>7609378
no more memes, please
>>
File: 1401937215465.jpg (24 KB, 189x165) Image search: [Google]
1401937215465.jpg
24 KB, 189x165
How is that "your taste", if you havent read any of those books?
You sound new to reading and just want to fit in with /lit/. You should seriously start with something easier to read, because you won't probably finish any of those books.
>>
>not falling for the infinite kek meme

Faggot
>>
>>7609117
>those books are perfectly appropriate for a new readers
No, George Orwell and Young Adult fiction is where most new readers start. Read some Douglas Coupland, OP
>>
>>7609414

Step-by-step de-plebâ„¢

Whatever trash you filled your life with before literature -> Vonnegut -> Orwell -> Huxley -> Thompson -> Steinbeck -> Hesse -> Dostoevsky

From there, you can move in a number of directions, and should have shed most of the pleb. You're still on the lowest rungs of the ladder though, but you'll have moved upwards.
>>
File: 1447407658224.jpg (31 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1447407658224.jpg
31 KB, 413x395
>newfag who should be LURKING gets absolutely BTFO
this makes me extraordinarily happy, please do it more familia
>>
>>7609455

>Shitty troll thread shitting up the board gets absolutely covered in shit by a continual stream of shitposters

It makes me sad man, genuinely sad.

Sage.
>>
>>7609042
>>7609079
>>7609298

I'm probably going to pick up Don Quixote next. Do you guys have any recommendations on the translation or are they all pretty much the same?
>>
>>7611512
Grossman.
>>
>>7609042
You know you have to read the books in order for your taste to develop, right? You should be able to identify with patterns in readings that you encountered before, which can only be done if...you've read before. Simply showing a list of books (that you haven't read) and announcing you have good taste doesn't make it so.

TLDR ; OP is a poser 5/10 made me reply
>>
>>7609042
Don't read literature just to have "good taste". You won't enjoy it.
>>
>>7609042
I think it's a great list; I read most of those over the course of two years along with others and so I would like to warn you that a deluge of 19th century literature may affect your speech in such a way that people look at you strange when you speak. In no way do I say this to deter you but instead to inspire you further to jump into the superior era of literature!
>>
>>7609079
>Dostoevsky is shit

That's simply incoherent, did you read the post before hitting submit?
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.