[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is genius or a troubled wild life essentially necessary for becoming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: 2016-01-21 09.40.04.png (161 KB, 539x532) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-21 09.40.04.png
161 KB, 539x532
Is genius or a troubled wild life essentially necessary for becoming a great artist?
>>
>>7608541
depth in feeling and experience is
>>
>Dostoevsky
>Great Artist
>>
Basically you need to have had:

A) An unhappy childhood.
B) Alcoholism
C) Depression

to become a successful author.
>>
>>7608557
Uh, how is he not?
>>
>>7608564
>check
>check
>check
Where's my publishing deal now?
>>
File: vladimir-nabokov.jpg (39 KB, 411x395) Image search: [Google]
vladimir-nabokov.jpg
39 KB, 411x395
>>7608568
"Dostoevsky, Fyodor.Dislike him. A cheap sensationalist, clumsy and vulgar. A prophet, a claptrap journalist and a slapdash comedian. Some of his scenes are extraordinarily amusing. Nobody takes his reactionary journalism seriously.The Double.His best work, though an obvious and shameless imitation of Gogol's "Nose."The Brothers Karamazov.Dislike it intensely.Crime and Punishment.Dislike it intensely. Ghastly rigmarole."

He's right desu
>>
>>7608564
That's a romantic meme. Fuck off back to plebville.
>>
>>7608577
I value Nabokov's opinions more than OP's

because, you know, Nabokov was born in tsarist Russia and actually experienced the cult of Dostoevsky and his writings
>>
>>7608548
And how does one reach this depth in feeling?
>>
>>7608590

Dostoyevsky was fairly obscure and definitely out of political favor at the time.
>>
>>7608541
Not at all.
>>
>>7608577
Nabokov attributed literally zero value to philosophical depth in literature, so he's not really the best person to evaluate Dostoevsky. Nietzsche's opinion would be more pertinent.
>>
>>7608617
How so? Can you list artists who got to greatness without these qualities?
>>
>>7608590
>>7608613
Even today, Dostoevsky is not as popular in Russia than he is in the West. Same goes for Tolstoy.
They seem to prefer Gogol
>>
>>7608623
He was a liberal, nothing need more be said
>>
>>7608564
Literally every one who has ever married my mum. She married 4 times. 3 are now Pulitzer winners. I killed the first one before i was born.
>>
>>7608541
>>7608564
>>7608628
>all this disgusting romanticism
>>
>>7608577
I think his other criticism, in that Dostoy was a failed playwright, was better.

>all them useless descriptions, especially during speech
>>
File: maxresdefault-1.jpg (36 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-1.jpg
36 KB, 1280x720
>>7610413
>>7608582
Except look at the chemical abuse amongst writers, look at the escapism, look at the subsequent suicides. Theres gotta be something harmful in that much introspection and rumination.

Read between lines, Theo. Read between the lines!

>also writing is tedious as fuck
>>
>>7608564
I've got two of three.
I should at the very least have a YA novel published.
>>
>>7608628

Emily Dickinson
>>
Borges had a pretty chill life. I think Joyce too? They both dedicated their lives to literature
That is the most important part
>>
>>7610474
Joyce had conflicting emotions and influences regarding his religious upbringing and the life he wanted to lead.

They both had eye problems
>>
>>7608541
If I am remembering correctly, there is a theory that having mental disorders like schizophrenia, manic-depressive, depression, etc. affects your artistic abilities. It's sort of true as well. Get really really sad, then start writing poetry.
>>
>>7610505
The best works by Borges were when he wasn't blind tho. Obviously. My point is that they were not tormented souls that lived painful lives. The were just damn good
>>
I don't think I've ever met a single person whose life couldn't be romanticized into the kind of tripe we associate with "artists." It comes down to whether or not a person has enough awareness to synthesize their own experience and the experiences of those around them and then to romanticize it into something people are willing to read.

They're not special, they just write stuff down.
>>
>>7608591
it comes with age
>>
>>7610565
Something to add, mental disorders like depression contribute to heightened self-awareness.
It also contributes to people being AWFUL to hang out with. Writers.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.