[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
the sun also rises
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: elsoltambienseeleve.jpg (33 KB, 302x475) Image search: [Google]
elsoltambienseeleve.jpg
33 KB, 302x475
What's so great about this book /lit/? Jake's just wandering around doing nothing, and complaining about his penis. It's boring. What am I missing?
>>
I guess you have to like that kind shit OP. I liked it for the bullfighting bits, the sense of adventure and how it perfectly details what it's like to be at the mercy of a wishy washy white bitch.
>>
>>7607487
>at the mercy of a wishy washy white bitch
This and
>muh alcoholism

Alcoholics are like Christians. Bunch of bullshit camaraderie just because we fall under the same title.
>>
>What's so great about this book
Absolutely nothing. You got meme'd.
>>
>>7607487
nothing

hemmingway was a hack
>>
>>7607829
Man, you have not the slightest clue of what it means to be Christian. Go back to the Greeks.
>>
I was a huge fan of how the characters interacted, how they talked behind each others' backs, riled each other up, that seemed very real. I liked the minimalist prose. Most of the book, especially the whole last section, just has a sense of subtle sadness, I loved the atmosphere.

What type of book do you like better, op? Most of the stuff on /lit/ can be broken down into one-sentence "it was nothing but x," it's about going deeper than that.
>>
>>7607874
You mean I have no idea what it means to be a delusional cultist band-wagoner? You're right.
>>
Am I some kinda tard if the first time I read it I did not catch the fact that he's impotent?
>>
>>7607922
How old were you the first time you read it?
>>
>>7607487
War is Hell
>>
>>7607922
It was never said explicitly, I don't think. No worries.
>>
>jake's just wandering around doing nothing
One prominent theme of the book is how that lifestyle is destroying him. Jesus fucking christ.

>why didn't steinbeck let larry and george live happily ever after on a farm with rabbits
>why didn't dumas have everyone sit down with edmond and talk out their differences
>why didn't shakespeare let hamlet's dad live
>>
>you'll never fish in Spain with your river cooled wine
>the modern bullfight is a tourist trap
>yurop full of mooslims
>tfw prefer smoking weed over alcohol

Oh man that book gets my neurotic regret machine going
>>
>Judging a book based on its plot
>Not its style
>Not its prose
>Not its character development

"It's boring."
>>
>>7607980
The fishing trip was some of the comfiest shit I've ever read. I love how they had that random connection with the english dude and he made them flies as goodbye presents, goddamn reading that made me so happy for some reason
>>
>>7607927
I mean like two years ago
>>
Any Hemingway suggestions for someone who loved The Old Man and the Sea & The short happy life, but thought this was meh
>>
>>7608032
Dip into more of his short stories, that's where his talent shines.
>>
>>7607487
Nothing. Bell and Farewell are both similar in style while being far superior in every way.
>>
It's about the modernist apathy and depression that came following the first world war, the kind that made everyone want to drink and forget about the horrors of the world.
These people have had their whole ideology shaken by reality, they don't believe in love anymore because they know that humans do terrible things. They don't believe in goodness, in sincerity, in friendship, in anything. They see that the world of pretty roses and little white lies they were told to believe in their entire childhood/young adult life is a fucking sham.
And they (the lost generation) see all this fucked up shit happening, ya know? they see life how it really is, and they can't rationalize it. So what do they do? they numb themselves and pacify themselves with alcohol, with sex, with this, with that, etc.
But in the end it doesn't make them happy, so what do they do? They go somewhere else, convinced that will make them happy. And it doesn't. Everything is shit everywhere. And while it may be pretty to think about a world or a place or a time where things are nice, where things are good, where the world isn't shit, it's still just that, thinking. Which the book summarizes perfectly with the last line, I feel.

And the gr8 thing about Hemingway is that all of this happens underneath the text, off of the page. Iceberg and all that.
>>
>>7608051
Bell is inferior imho. There are some really excellent short vignette stories in it but the main narrative doesn't work as well.
>>
>>7607487
for what it represents - it was a capstone of the lost generation. For me, Hem is more myth than writer these days...best left to my high school years. i spent the past 5 years in europe chasing his ghost despite not being much enthused by writing anymore. oh well - tastes change
>>
Hemingway is culturally significant but he's a seriously overrated writer (just like Kerouac)
>>
>>7607916
Sir, you dropped your fedora.
>>
>>7607916
Go away.
>>
>>7607487
Good read, kind of lose it's steam near the end, i still don't get why any of these men were after Brett so much, Jake was such a cuck it's not even funny.
>>
>>7608001
You have to be one pretentious motherfucker to care about style and prose
>>
>>7608082
You explained that really well. What do you think the book was trying to say about masculinity?
>>
>>7607487

Nothing.

Hemingway has written some good stuff, but The Sun Also Rises was not. Read The Old Man and the Sea or his short stories.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.