[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just started this today. So far it seems like Catch-22 but good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 2
File: journey1.jpg (175 KB, 600x866) Image search: [Google]
journey1.jpg
175 KB, 600x866
Just started this today. So far it seems like Catch-22 but good and not written by reddit. Thoughts?
>>
>>7606685
Hook, line and sinker, OP!
>>
>not written by reddit

"reddit the meme" is now everywhere and means nothing past some generic "I'm better than them durrr". Only Neubienen use it.
>>
>>7606685
le 4chins mustard race xd
>>
>>7606685
You'll never realize how great Céline's prose is if you don't speak French.
>>
>>7606685
>"Catch 22 is reddit"

hurrrr
>>
>>7606806
>>7606826
>>7606850
Except Catch-22 is reddit in a pretty clear way, I'm referring to the le so clever wacky banter xD like Joss Whedon guest wrote an episode of MASH.

>>7606835
I know. v_v
>>
>>7606685
>Thoughts?
I think you're retarded
>>
>>7606859
>retrospective association
I seriously hope you guys don't do this
>>
>>7607003
Doesn't matter, the book I read is being read by me today in this world.
>>
>>7607003
They just did
>>
>>7607003
retrospective association is pretty often amusing, lad
>>
Is Confederacy of Dunces the only humor based novel that doesn't get spammed with shitposting on behalf of the reddit boogeyman?
>>
>>7607033
If it's funny to a large audience, then it's reddit-tier.

Same applies to Confederacy of Dunces, and everything written by PG Wodehouse.
>>
>>7606685
the whole of literature is reddit now. the OG patricians listen to oral recitations of epic poetry from central asia and read algorithmically generated prose
>>
>>7607037
I don't know if you're being facetious but there's actually something to this- humor is very individual, anything that's funny to a large audience probably accomplishes it by appealing to undifferentiated tiny-brain people.
>>
>>7607037
certainly, humour is the crudest, least stimulating literary form. As such, it remains the province of eternal adolescents and the pseudointellectual. Any man who has not lost the ability to laugh at anything by 20 is an incorrigible philistine.
>>
>>7607062
That's what I'm saying, nigga

Confederacy of Dunces is reddit: The book
>>
>>7607080
i have a really intellectual and rather esoteric sense of humor, you know frog pictures and such
>>
>>7607080
>humor for large audience
>boethius
please stop anon it hurts
>>
>>7606685

Just finished this book today desu fampai. Good timing I guess.

Since the only somewhat constructive comment in the thread so far is this one >>7606835, I would like to add that I can why people praise this book for its stylism, despite reading a translation. I really enjoyed it.
>>
File: fedora_fail_14.jpg (22 KB, 480x600) Image search: [Google]
fedora_fail_14.jpg
22 KB, 480x600
>>7607062
couldn't be more wrong, faggot.
humor is very relatable, rooted in undeniable truth. If a humorous novel like catch-22 or Confederacy strikes a chord with a large percentage of people it is more likely because it offers a true and beautiful insight on the human condition
>>
>>7607085
kek
>>
>>7606859
Catch-22 predates reddit, ergo it can't "be reddit". Reddit could be Helleresque but you see how dumb that sounds
>>
>>7607062
who is P G Wodehouse?
>>
>>7607103
>ergo

*tips fedora*
>>
>>7607078
Humour is the most truthful expression of the id desu senpai
>>
>>7607106
Beating a dead meme bruh
>>
>>7606685
One of the best french books ever.
>>
>>7606685
>ot written by reddit.
fuck off
>>
>>7606806
I think he means that "the author's tone and diction in this book aren't easily misconstruable in a way such that it can be discussed with an air of inclusion and superiority by people who post on a message board for direct benefit through up votes rather than indirect benefit through meaningful discussion"

It's not a meme term
>>
Are there any other authors who employ the same type of atmospheres that Celine uses? I've read loads of books on war and battles, but Celine's depiction of his involvement in the war specifically is so fascinating and "page-turning" for me every time I read it.
>>
>>7606859
>hating funny dialogue
Just die in your sleep already
>>
>>7606685
Did anyone else find it somehow funny while also being depressing?

Favorite parts? The situation with the one guy and his wife trying to do in his mom was hilarious.
>>
>>7608359
How do you differentiate the air of inclusion and superiority generated by upvoting from the air of inclusion and superiority generated by memeing on an anonymous Fijian woodcarving board?
>>
>>7606859
How can there be people like this that are allowed to breathe my air on this day and age.

you should stop getting all your references and guzzling meme sperm from 4chan.
>>
>>7608381
>Joss Whedon
>Funny

I mean this earnestly, please leave. We don't like people like you here, you're just not cut out for it.
>>
>>7607018
??? confused black guy face instagram post ????
>>
>>7607060
>algorithmically generated prose
my professor showed us some of that shit and it's plain disgusting

literally STEM pleb ideas meet art: the tool
>>
>>7607080
your existence is painful. please stop and reassess your life.
>>
>>7608386
>Did anyone else find it somehow funny while also being depressing?

You don't fucking say

>>7608949
If you want to discuss The Avengers and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Catch-22 and The Office and other reddit shit no one is stopping you, just don't do it here.
>>
>>7608960
what? who said anything about The Office? what the hell is going in that tiny brain of yours Anon?
>>
>>7607018
may I direct everyone to this post for just one second. I need to know if it's real.
>>
Up until the reddit influx catch 22 was a well respected book here. There were frequent threads about it, people said it was one of the funniest books they've read, etc.
Therefore, I claim that most people claiming the book is "reddit" are in fact from there themselves and are trying to fit in.
Please Fuck off.
>>
>>7606685
See >>7608988
Catch-22 is a very well-written book and has absolutely nothing to do with reddit
I haven't read Celine yet so I can't say which is better, but you sound like a cunt
>>
>>7608977
he's right, the author is dead
>>
>>7606835
I tried reading it in French and I couldn't. It's the first book in French that was too hard for me. I don't know if I'm just bad at French or have gotten much worse of it, but I could manage Sartre and Camus fine while for Journée I could only do it with a dictionary by my side.
>>
>>7606685
I fell for this meme. Seems like you did too. The first 100 pages or so are fine. From then on it gets worse and worse. You won't finish it.
>>
>>7609145
I also just started this book. In what way does it get worse? Why won't I finish it?
>>
>>7609353

It doesn't, and you will.
>>
>>7609097
>writes "journée" because it sounds like "journey" and frenchy
>not "voyage"

You ARE bad at French. That's all.
>>
>>7609934
hello tripfag. you are correct but please either drop trip or kill yourself, ty.
>>
>>7609575
shut up bitch
>>
>>7609937
Tripfag or not he just took your ass, boy. haha
>>
>>7609937
boy did he tore ya a new one
>>
>>7609937
you get rekt and you're trying to get points back, cute
>>
>>7613362
No, I'm the guy the tripfag called out, and I accept the shrekking I've been giving - I'll never interact with the French language again.
That guy you're replying to is just someone who seems to hate tripfags.
>>
You faggots spent half of the thread arguing with each other for petty reasons instead of discussing the book... I really need to quit this place.
>>
>>7613450
It will never happen. It's an addiction. The instant gratification is just too much.
>>
>>7613450
I know, right? It's almost like we're already in academia.
>>
>>7606685
3/5. Needlessly long and descriptive. When hes on point hes brilliant - the part about marking the good from the bad (in regards to the man sacrificing his life to provide for the faraway girl) almost got me.
>>
>>7606685
He's a wordy Bukowski.
>>
>>7606685
Better than the meme trilogy.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.