[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think about Conrad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1
File: 66358-004-D159F524.jpg (13 KB, 330x450) Image search: [Google]
66358-004-D159F524.jpg
13 KB, 330x450
What does /lit/ think about Conrad?
>>
A dead white European male was teaching a class on English literature, known tool of imperialist oppression.
“Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship King Leopold II, greatest monarch the world has ever known, even greater than James Monroe!”

At this moment, a black, female, transgendered, cis-hetero-homoflexible Latino transvestite man who has over 20,000 Tweets and 12,000 Tumblr posts stood up and held up an novel.

“What is this book?”

The professor smirked oppressively and smugly replied “Heart of Darkness, by Polish-British writer Joseph Conrad, an intelligent and insightful study of the primitive mind of the African peoples.”

“Wrong. The book is a racist and oppressive piece of propaganda designed to dehumanize the proud peoples of the African continent. Conrad is a bigot. If the book truly had merit as you claimed, Oprah would’ve reviewed it on her show already.”

The professor was visibly shaken, and dropped his chalk and Iron Cross. He stormed out of the room crying those DWEM crocodile tears.

The students applauded and all registered Marxist that day and accepted Martin Luther King Jr. as their lord and savior. An okapi pounced into the room and stood next to a south-up map centered around Africa. The students joined hand in hand and sang Toto’s Africa several times, and Jesse Jackson, king of all black people, showed up to enact affirmative action across the country.

The professor lost his tenure and was fired the next day. He died of a giant black nigger dick up his ass was tossed into the Sahara desert for all eternity.

That student’s name? Chinua Achebe.

Hakuna Matata.
>>
Very good. I love his descriptions of the sea.
>>
Bit of a dick desu
>>
Love his dense style of writing. He doesn't spare a word. When you read a short story of his you're getting more content than you would from a number of lengthy novels.
>>
>>7606321
the first post-colonialist
>>
>>7606326
what is racist about Conrad?
>>
>>7606360
He portrayed Africans as lesser to Europeans
>>
>>7606368
At least that is what some have argued
>>
>>7606368
No he didn't.

Read 'The Nigger of the 'Narcissus''
>>
>>7606368
I think this is undeniable, but having reread Heart of Darkness recently the passage about his dying (black) helmsman is amazing, and represents the most sincere human connection Marlow makes to anyone in the story, in contrast to the white men who he describes as paper mache, fake, full of nothing but a little loose dirt, etc.
>>
>>7606388
Let me rephrase that, it has been argued that the book "A Heart of darkness" portrays the natives of the area the book take place as inferior/having no meaningful culture

However that is not what I am saying
>>
>>7606393
>portrays the natives of the area the book take place as inferior/having no meaningful culture
Evidence?
>>
>>7606422
just google it you fucking sperg its not like this is some novel new idea
>>
>>7606422
There's actually evidence AGAINST this. During his trek through the jungle to the Central Station, Marlow hears the drumming of natives. He contemplates that their meaning is as profound as those of churchbells. Throughout the novel there are parallels between native culture and Europeans.
>>
>>7606458
correct. achebe was just a hack but no one dared call him out on it cause they didnt want to be labeled as racist

but that doesn't mean therer isn't a large body of work around the idea that conrad/HoD is racist
>>
>>7606458
Don't bother, the position you're arguing against is indefensible. On page 6 Marlowe states (paraphrasing) "stealing the land of others who have darkers skin and flatter noses is not a moral thing". That's as close as you could've gotten in that era to the statement "race is skin deep".

OP: Nostromo is his magnum opus and will forever be my favorite piece of literature
>>
>>7606326
kek

If anything Conrad was anti-imperialist. He had a plebish disdain for Western imperialism and a holier than thou morality which lacked any thorough rationality concerning the human condition.
>>
dude seaweed lmao
>>
>>7606554
Philistinic reductionism
>>
>>7606554
>replying seriously to pasta
>>
>>7606471
>Nostromo
My man.

I think I might like Secret Agent more tbqh
>>
>>7606586
Found it a bit overindulgent with its tragic elements if I'm being honest. Definitely prefered Lord Jim and HoD over it, though it's still brilliant in its own way.
>>
you can feel the slavshit resentment in each and every sentence of his
>>
>>7606639
A hesitance to condone imperialism is far from resentment. I'm sure he was aware that at another point in history Poland had its own (although vastly inferior) empire in the form of the commonwealth.
>>
>>7606662
>empire

ukraine is hardly africa
>>
He gave me an opportunity to rip Chinua Achebe a new asshole for 5000 words straight in an essay that got me a 97 from a liberal English teacher in senior year of high school.
>>
>>7606360

The complaints about Heart of Darkness seem very similar to complaints about Uncle Tom's Cabin. In both cases the author has an "evil liberal SJW tumblr" opinion (4chan is edgy enough to be pro-slavery and pro-rape) but portrays the minority characters as caricatures/stereotypes which made some people angry.
>>
>>7606715
>slavery
>bad

wew
but you enjoy the sight of pyramids don't you
>>
>>7606360
He incorrectly portrayed Africans c. 1900 as being generally uncivilized (in the most literal meaning of the word) instead of as kangz.
>>
>>7606554
Word salad that has no meaning
>>
>>7606670
Does an empire need to include land in Africa to qualify?
Listen, I have next to no respect for the Poles, but I have infinite respect for Conrad.
>>
>>7606712
>bragging about high school grades
>on a lebanese puppet show imageboard

wew lad
>>
>>7606326
>implying SJWs are Marxist
>>
>>7606350
Nah, that's Tacitus
>>
>>7607645
most modern-day marxists are SJWs
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.