[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I the only one who don't like american authors? It seems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: Ernest_Hemingway_1950.jpg (2 MB, 2940x2934) Image search: [Google]
Ernest_Hemingway_1950.jpg
2 MB, 2940x2934
Am I the only one who don't like american authors? It seems to me that their literature lack deepness. They mediocre.
>>
>>7606320
I also dislike it but I'm the kind of person that barely approves anything published past the 18th century.
>>
>>7606320

Which ones have you read?
>>
>>7606330
Gonna be pretty hard to out-hipster you, well played
>>
have you read Whitman or Poe?
>>
>>7606347
Do you have that much trouble people might appreciate something you don't like?
>>
>american literature lacks deepness

what did he mean by this
>>
>>7606330

I think you'll enjoy most of Hawthorne and Melville then. If you're big into poetry, Hart Crane was basically a reincarnation of John Donne in the early 20th, imo even though he has that strongly american romantic swing to him, he wrote like a modern Elizabethan. Though he's about the only one you'd like, since it's clear you probably don't like Whitman, and American poetry really starts (and in a figurative way, ends) there. Crane is in the Whitman tradition but he is very Elizabethan in his formal style (think late Shakespeare and some Sidney) and Metaphysical in his figurative language.
>>
>>7606370
2deep4u yankee
>>
>>7606372
I didn't understand a single thing of this.
>>
>>7606320

I'm with ya OP, granted I've only read few american authors (hemingway, steinbeck, kesey, that old lady who wrote that book about racism) but i enjoy french and russian literature more.
>>
>>7606514
Read Melville, Faulkner and Whitman before you pass over American lit.
>>
Most of the great American works are prose-poetry. Unfortunately, that means that you have to actually speak English to appreciate them OP :(
>>
>>7606320

Shit b8 m8.
>>
>>7606320
on the off chance this isn't bait, read john updike
>>
>>7606372
not OP but i share his sentiments and can confirm, crane is only american poet i like

and poe
>>
I do remember reading an article about how a lot of american literature is about running away from maturity and responsibilities, escapism and adventure stories and the like.

I wouldn't say I've read enough of it to form any opinion on the matter though.
>>
Maybe try Emerson's essays, they are some of my favorite writing despite the lack of story. You may find the ideas a little weird, but I think everyone could learn from them.
>>
John Williams, Thomas Pynchon, William H. Gass, DFW, Henry James, Melville, Twain, Hawthorne, DeLilo, Updike, Faulkner,Hemmingway, Kerouac
>>
>>7607774
this but take out pynchon, updike and hemmingway
>>
generally speaking there are very few authors worth anyone's time
>>
>>7607774
Melville, Twain, Hawthorne, Faulkner are the only real signpost authors in that list if we pretend, as we should, that the 60s and 70s were a waste of time
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.