[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did you guys think of this? I thought that it definitely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
What did you guys think of this? I thought that it definitely had its good moments but also had a fair share of obnoxious moments.

Also, did anyone understand Church not made with Hands? I admittedly started it, didn't understand shit, and then went on to the next story.
>>
>>7606133
You have to be a white college male to truly get it, sorry.
>>
>>7606141
B-but.. I am familia. Every story was pretty breezy except for that one.
>>
>>7606133
I still laugh about the little part where he screams VICTORY FOR THE FORCES OF DEMOCRATIC FREEDOM whenever he cums. I don't know any reason why, but it makes me laugh every time
>>
I did the same thing desu. I also dropped tri-stan halfway through because i got the point and the style was really grating. Everything else was good tho
>>
>>7606202
It was a slog, what was it all about, it wasn't a parody, wtf was it?
>>
>>7606249

I don't think you can say it was about one thing but the hideous men stuff I took as the tension between new sincerity and the intellectual pick up artistry that we later saw in the character of Oren from IJ
>>
>>7607017
What about that whole "another example of the porousness of certain borders" shit
>>
>>7606133
I liked it best of all his short story collections.

The bathroom attendant story was a great balance of funny/sad.
>>
>>7607785
Utter wank, ripping off the 'cheese symphony', but with a gen x twist.

As for the men, he is hiding behind irony, doing exactly what he professed to deride.
>>
>>7607858
How was he hiding behind irony? Though there was an overt fear of pretentiousness throughout the book and a self-consciousness that got irritating at times, not many of the interviews were what I would call "ironic." And even if they had an ironic tone, Wallace never professed to be in agreement with what they were saying.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.