[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/, as someone who lives in a shitty part of Asia, I often
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1450362331285.jpg (545 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1450362331285.jpg
545 KB, 1920x1080
Hey /lit/, as someone who lives in a shitty part of Asia, I often find myself alone in my admiration of Western ideals.

Most people I know think of colonialism and exploitation when they think of Europe, and they refuse to look any further than this. What books would you suggest to introduce an outsider/layman to Western culture? My go-to suggestion is usually just Thomas Paine's Rights of Man and some Wikipedia articles about things like the French Revolution to provide some historical context, but I was wondering if there are any other books that are more accessible and easy to follow.
>>
>>7601826
Poo in loo
>>
>>7601829
You do know that there was a cholera epidemic in Neaples in the 60s, right? The 1960s.
>>
>>7601829

:^)
>>
>>7601826
I believe Marx wrote on the positive effects (as well as negative) of colonialisation on India, so that could be a nice direct study.
>>
File: image.jpg (179 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
179 KB, 750x500
>>7601826
By Western ideals, would you be referring to ideals from 1000-2000 A.D.?

Or would you be referring to something definitive within the last 500 years?
>>
hmm... mayby grass' "the tin drum" would give you some insight into the lives and culture in the early 20th century in a good read.
>>
Walden and Civil Disobedience.
>>
>>7601826
Buryatia?
>>
>>7601826
Nice pic OP
>>
>>7601882
I've just started drinking coffee and reading Balzac recently. I usually do it while taking a hot bath. Very comfy. But what's the reference?
>>
Western culture is dead. Christianity and shakespeare got BTFO by twerking negresses and lgbtqbbqwtfetc. positive superhero drivel. the average inhabitant of the west leads a zombified existence, numbed by marihuana, netflix antidepressants... all aggressive impulses smothered by high-estrogen processed foodstuffs. really I envy you. I really liked the west, but it's gone, no saving it now.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.