[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best English/Spanish translation of the Quran?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6
What's the best English/Spanish translation of the Quran? I really don't want to learn an entire new language just for 1 book.

Also: is it any good? I've only read a few excerpts and it sounds a bit repetitive and angry.

I've watched a few Islamic lectures on youtube and have found people like Hamza Yusuf and Abdal Hakim Murad really informative and have made me curious of the whole thing. Is it worth it?
>>
Why do you want to read it?
>>
>>7601671
Every Muslim scholar I've listened to sounds a thousand times more logical and knowledgable than my local Christian priest. While I still don't believe any of it, it sounds interesting and I'm willing to be open-minded to the idea of an impersonal God. I also want to find out if it's really beautiful and poetic or evil and violent.

I read the Twilight books to find out for myself if they're awful or not (they are), and I'm willing to read the Quran to make an informed opinion for myself as well.
>>
>>7601679
>Every Muslim scholar I've listened to sounds a thousand times more logical and knowledgable than my local Christian priest.

Maybe that's because you're comparing academic religion with your parishioner
>>
>>7601679
>Every Muslim scholar
You mean nigger "scholar" which is a paradox, anon. Muslims can't be scholars because that means they would have to do something that involves reading, not raping and living in hutts
>>
>>7601669
I prefer the AJ Droge translation.
>>
>>7601695
Don't be an asshole.

There are Islamic scholars, but you're right about them not reading. The only thing they read is the Quran and the Hadith and the commentaries. Most don't even bother to read the bible.

According to the Arab Human Development Report prepared by the U.N., the total number of books translated into Arabic during the 1,000 years since the reign of Al-Ma'mun (813–833), is less than the number of books translated in Spain in one year.
>>
File: 1453049765631.jpg (2 MB, 2392x3968) Image search: [Google]
1453049765631.jpg
2 MB, 2392x3968
>>7601669
Here's a good chart for Islamic stuff.

I noticed you said that you wanted to know if it's really beautiful and poetic. I can tell you that it is, but you won't get the same experience from reading it in any language other than Arabic, but it's worth the read.
>>
>>7601669
Just listen to it and read along with youtube translations. The effect is in the Arabic words and melody I find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WvHMNuhH3Y (starts at 0:25)
>>
>>7601679
>Every Muslim scholar I've listened to sounds a thousand times more logical and knowledgable than my local Christian priest
No shit, but how do they compare to Christian scholars? You're not comparing like with like here.

Having said that, I do agree Islam's interesting if only because it's pretty different.
>>
>>7601757
>different
The most charming thing about Islam is that they work with the same tropes as Christianity and Judaism but interpret them very differently.
So, they are very similar to us in a way I think
>>
File: 1452853278697.png (4 MB, 1620x2260) Image search: [Google]
1452853278697.png
4 MB, 1620x2260
this is a nice chart
>>
>>7601679
You should read it
>>
>>7601669
Infinite Jehad
>>
>>7601695
Abdal Hakim Murad was originally, Timothy Winter, a white guy.

Hamza Yusuf was originally Mark (I forgot his last name), and he's white too.
>>
>>7601757
I've read C.S Lewis and Billy Graham. T.S Eliot's really cool though.
>>
>>7601856
>no Al-Futuhat Al-Makkiyah
>>
I don't have anything to say
>>
>>7601695
anti-intellectual located
>>
>>7602888
Trips confirm
>>
File: BurnedQuran.jpg (24 KB, 320x230) Image search: [Google]
BurnedQuran.jpg
24 KB, 320x230
>>7601669
only good quran is a burning quran
>>
File: koran.gif (7 KB, 199x171) Image search: [Google]
koran.gif
7 KB, 199x171
I piss on quran
>>
>>7601669
Read the preface of this. If you agree with it, read it.

It's mostly about putting the Koran into the right order.

http://www.politicalislam.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/PDF-Look-Inside/A_Simple_Koran_look_inside.pdf

Disclaimer : dude is an Islamophobe but for this particular book it doesn't matter.
>>
>>7601719
>Karen Armstrong
>Aslan

Oh boy.
>>
Tired of Muslims saying it's some unique piece of poetry. It's not. It's fine.
>>
>>7601719
>no Vision of Islam by William Chittick and Sachiko Murata
>no Annemarie Schimmel
>Reza Aslan
Pretty shitty list.
>>
>>7602899
That's actually the proper way of disposing the quran in islam.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.