[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How I develop a reading addiction?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 5
File: bnt.jpg (9 KB, 270x186) Image search: [Google]
bnt.jpg
9 KB, 270x186
How I develop a reading addiction?
>>
Start shooting novels. Oral intake just doesn't cut it.
>>
>>7600675

Find an author that interests you, dehydrate his brain, crush it into powder, and line it up.
>>
read the greek poets/dramas/philosophers
>>
Aderall plus coffee plus a decent book to be desultory senpai.
>>
>>7600986
Tried to get adderall.
Psychiatrist gave me lexapro and xanax instead.
>>
File: vf.jpg (31 KB, 540x350) Image search: [Google]
vf.jpg
31 KB, 540x350
I find I'm more motivated to read after I finish a very good, very engaging book. Have you ever read a book like that?
>>
Have no friends
Have a shitty job
Be a virgin until 20 at leads
>>
>>7600675
read a hundred pages, after that smoke a cigarette. continue until you cant smoke without wanting to read, works for me im at a book every two days on average
>>
bump..
>>
Develop a habit of shooting heroin and reading a book at the same time.
Then quit the heroin habbit and you'll be left with reading addiction only.
>>
>>7601018
harry potter
>>
>>7601694
I went to the Yale University bookstore and bought and read a copy of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." I suffered a great deal in the process. The writing was dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs." I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing.

But when I wrote that in a newspaper, I was denounced. I was told that children would now read only J.K. Rowling, and I was asked whether that wasn't, after all, better than reading nothing at all? If Rowling was what it took to make them pick up a book, wasn't that a good thing?

It is not. "Harry Potter" will not lead our children on to Kipling's "Just So Stories" or his "Jungle Book." It will not lead them to Thurber's "Thirteen Clocks" or Kenneth Grahame's "Wind in the Willows" or Lewis Carroll's "Alice."

Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Our society and our literature and our culture are being dumbed down, and the causes are very complex. I'm 73 years old. In a lifetime of teaching English, I've seen the study of literature debased. There's very little authentic study of the humanities remaining. My research assistant came to me two years ago saying she'd been in a seminar in which the teacher spent two hours saying that Walt Whitman was a racist. This isn't even good nonsense. It's insufferable.
>>
>>7600999
What did you say? That you were having trouble focusing on things? A legit prescription for Xanax is pretty good anyway, as long as you can keep it going.
>>
>>7601698
Your problem is that you expected harry potter to actually be literature worth denouncing instead of what it is as a cultural icon.

That was a dick move to go around denouncing a kids book. No one was saying 'harry potter has great prose!' Although i do agree with you on that people seem to be getting dumber nowadays.
>>
>>7601810
>people who still respond seriously to this pasta
>>
>>7601698

Nice bait faggot. Go kill yourself

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2003/09/24/dumbing_down_american_readers/
>>
I have a reading addiction

The source material is 4chan
>>
>>7600678
Stop cutting your novels with /lit/. Shoot it in its rawest form.
>>
>>7600675
Why would you want that? It's horrible
>>
>wake up this morning with cold sweat
>haven't ready anything in two days
>I can't fucking take it anymore
>walk up to the library
>the librarian spots me
>rushes form behind her desk and tells me she doesn't want to see there anymore
>threatens to call the police and everything
>get on my knees and fucking beg her
>tell her I'll read everything, even a Star Wars novelisation or Austen
>always a little too kind to really make it in her line of work, she relents
>'oh, we have some books recently taken form the catalogue because nobody borrowed them in years, nobody will miss them. meet me in the back in five minutes'
>it has started to rain now
>half an hour of waiting, I'm soaking wet and shivering
>finally she comes out, her rain coat half hiding her face
>she's holding a few bundles of paper hardly recognisable as books
>'this is the best I could do Anon'
>I grasp them from her hands, clutch them like a mother holds a lost-and-found-again child
>she's looking at me, half pity and half disgust
>look at the titles
>they're Goosebumps books
>read them walking home, almost running
>finished the first two in record time, keep the third one for later
>get home and shitpost about them on /lit/

Don't fucking do it OP, you don't know what you're getting into. You don't want to end up like me.
>>
>>7601997
fuck off from my lit that's common copypasta
>>
>>7601794
>That you were having trouble focusing on things?
Exactly that.
What should I say to get adderall?
>>
>>7602244
Just ask to be tested for ADHD.
>>
>>7601256
This is fucking reckless because I don't smoke but maybe I'll try it.
>>
It's pretty easy. Just let your life degrade to the point where it sucks more to live in the real world than be buried in a book.

Every day I look forward to getting home and reading.
>>
>>7602244
Do you actually have a need for adderall to focus?
Because using it recreationally is a fucking awful idea.
It practically guarantees that you'll be left with the problems it's used to treat when you eventually get off it.
>>
>>7600986

Amphetamine is for chumps. It will make you autistic. It will rape your body and mind. It is not a solution to any problem, and if you use it as such, it will fuck you vigorously in the long term.

>>7600999

Jesus fucking Christ. Do not take Xanax. Benzodiazepines will annihilate your memory and cogntive skills. It will turn you into a drool-covered, mouthbreathing retard. Benzodiazepines is one of the few classes of drugs that demonstratively leads to irreversible cognitive deficits. The withdrawal is worse than heroin and may kill you as well.

Most sane doctors agree that they're not to be used for more than 14 consecutive days in anything but the most extremely debilitating cases of anxiety. They're definitely not for the kind of anxiety you have when you get sweaty palms when meeting new people, but rather for the kind of anxiety that leaves you catatonic in the fetal position considering suicide.

>>7602244

You said you were having trouble focusing and the idiot gave you tranquilizers? Change your psychiatrist, holy shit what an ass.

Overall, don't use drugs for a problem like this. They're the definition of a short-term solution. Attention can be trained like a muscle, and scientific studies have found that certain techniques can improve it tremendously:

http://zone.medschool.pitt.edu/ENRICHMENT/rehab/Documents/Medical%20Student%20ICAM%20Research%20(NIH%20T35)/Mindfulness%20Meditation%20and%20Health%20(Greco)/Required%20reading/mrazek%202013%20Mindfulness%20improves%20GRE%20and%20working%20memory.pdf
>>
>>7602309
you're right about xanax, but what do you have against amphetamines? is there a fundamental difference between them and jugs of tea?
>>
>>7602266

I was like this until very recently. Now I can't do anything except play mindless vidya because everything else takes too much effort.

How do I get back into appreciating my books and music
>>
>>7602376
Just step away from your computer and turn off your phone. Maybe have a cigarette, take some adderall if you need to.
>>
>>7602351
Yes. Amphetamines are habit forming and have severe withdrawal symptoms. Tea does not.

Btw im not the guy you responded to
>>
>>7602120
This was good, thanks
>>
Find an author/book that is engaging. Go read at the library or a place where you won't get distracted by computer/tv/etc...

It will take some time, but hopefully you will be reading an engaging enough book.

If this doesn't work, try audiobooks. I know plenty of people who hate reading but like listening to audiobooks.
>>
>>7602351

There's a very fundamental difference, yes. Given the fact that amphetamine functions as a catecholamine releaser, it's fucking up your brain's chemical homeostasis. It is not sustainable. Downregulation of dopaminergic receptors in particular will render them ineffective in a short amount of time, and will leave you with a worse baseline than you had before. Meaning you'll essentially be functioning like you used to normally when on amphetamines, and worse when not on them. They're the definition of a very, very short-term solution. Somewhat useful for a single-time performance, but will fuck you up unless used very, very sparingly. They're extremely taxing on the body too, they'll entirely fuck up your sleep schedule and annihilate your appettite. Essentially, it robs you of all requisities for functioning well. This becomes part of the spiral of needing amphetamines to function at normal capacity.

I used amphetamines quite a bit a few years ago. It took me a long time to get back to normal after I quit them. Apart from that, in my experience, they'll make you autistic. Slightly better at non-fiction and math, but horrible at fiction and people.
>>
>>7602439
what about burgess, erdos... people who used constantly to get things done?
>>
>>7602387
tea does if you drink enough
i was asking what the difference would be assuming one could drink enough tea (or take a quarter of the beads in the adderall) to be at similar levels of activity
>>
>>7602309
>Jesus fucking Christ. Do not take Xanax. Benzodiazepines will annihilate your memory and cogntive skills. It will turn you into a drool-covered, mouthbreathing retard. Benzodiazepines is one of the few classes of drugs that demonstratively leads to irreversible cognitive deficits. The withdrawal is worse than heroin and may kill you as well.
>Most sane doctors agree that they're not to be used for more than 14 consecutive days in anything but the most extremely debilitating cases of anxiety. They're definitely not for the kind of anxiety you have when you get sweaty palms when meeting new people, but rather for the kind of anxiety that leaves you catatonic in the fetal position considering suicide.
I didn't take them for a long term though...
I was supposed them to take .5 mg at night to help me to sleep.

>You said you were having trouble focusing and the idiot gave you tranquilizers? Change your psychiatrist, holy shit what an ass.
I did, and I got the exact same prescription.
I suppose both psychiatrists thought I was depressed, and depressions was the cause of my focus issues.
I probably was before therapy (daily suicidal thoughts at the time, never spoke about them with anyone), and antidepressants helped with that, but they killed any libido I had in the process.
The thing is that even after antidepressants, I still have a short span focus.

I've tried meditation without any success.
>>
>>7602477
They don't have the same chemicals in them, tea contains the alkaloid caffeine (which prevents drowsiness by blocking adenosine receptors, which is a naturally occuring chemical in the brain that causes sleepiness) and L-theanine(more common in green tea, an amino acid with much more complex activity than caffeine, which binds to glutamate receptors but not very strongly. It increases serotonin, dopamine, GABA, and is a weak CNS stimulant and has anti-anxiety effects).

Contrary to these, amphetamine affects dopamine directly and norepinephrine indirectly in the brain, creating a different and stronger drug because of its high affinity.

No matter how much tea you drink, it WILL NOT be the same as amphetamine.
>>
>>7602120
The war on books is clearly failing, we need to decriminalize books.
>>
File: 4QHdulE.gif (991 KB, 500x325) Image search: [Google]
4QHdulE.gif
991 KB, 500x325
>>7602439
>they'll make you autistic
B-but I want to be autistic
>>
>>7602120
>even a Star Wars novelisation or Austen
>or Austen

Holy fucking keks, I fucking lost it
>>
>>7602120
Chuckled.
>>
>>7602120
>or Austen
Austen is good you shithead
>>
>>7601018
Yes, I felt like that after Lolita. I finished it and wanted to read something straight afterwards.

I guess I tend to feel like that with most books that I enjoy, with the exception of Gravity's Rainbow where I didn't read any literature for 2 weeks afterwards because I felt mentally fried.
>>
>>7602120
filthy fuckin' plebs everywhere

read proust and tolstoy and you're set for life, nigga
>>
>>7602120
> Or Austen

This guy gets it.
>>
> all these people needing pills and cigarettes to read

Step one: get a book
Step two: fucking read it

DONE AND DONE.
>>
>>7602439
Spoken like a true ex-addict.
Yes you will look and act like an antelope when on amphetamines, but so what? Find a cozy spot on the top floor of your campus library and just go bionic workmode, every sentence popping off the page.

I would agree to not use it more than once a month, I think this is a reasonable assessment. You will never get the same productivity or high from using them more frequently, and you'll realize this right away, they're essentially not addictive at all unless you don't learn after one repeated dosage.
Don't take them later than right when you wake up, and do some hard physical activity if you want to sleep on time.
Can be extremely effective for productivity.
>>
>>7602487
>I did, and I got the exact same prescription.
Fucking Americans, you're psychiatrists are being paid shitloads of dough to forcefeed you shit that will fuck up your brain. Terrible country tbqh
>>
>>7602810
>reading
>work
Why the fuck would you chose to spend your life like this? Don't you already have a job?
>>
>>7602120
I have to read Austen for English
Sense and sensibility is absolute shit
>>
>>7602825
It's like smoking weed while reading, but 100x as effective. No reading is not work, nor do I need anything to do it, but the amphetamine lights up the 'reading' parts of your brain and dims the rest of your functions to basically completely shut off gives the words such a potency it's like you're reading your first great book for the first time in your life, but even better.
>>
>>7602946
So really it's the drugs you like.
If the book is good it's good on its own.
If you have to take drugs to make it enjoyable to read then it's probably not for you.
>>
>>7602309
>you can't concentrate?! WTF you just need to learn to train yourself to concentrate
>links massive PDF on how to concentrate
do you realise the irony of this
>>
File: Kek.png (275 KB, 540x779) Image search: [Google]
Kek.png
275 KB, 540x779
>>7602120
>>
>>7600675
Nicotine.

Dose right when you start reading.

Pure nic, inhaled is going to have the sharpest addictory effect. Lozenges, patches, and other oral/topical ROIs will work fine. I recommend against cigarettes and dip. Too much other shit. You want the nicotine. Start slow, very very low dose and increase incrementally (I am not fucking around here if you don't smoke ciggs nic will hit you like a fucking brick)

Nicotine's method of addiction is unique among other common drugs (afaik). The whole thing is rather complicated, and you can look it up pretty easily if you wish, but the takeaway is as follows. Nicotine addicts by a different pathway than the pleasure response, what nicotine does is make your brain feel like what it's doing is beneficial to its survival on the same level as eating. So your brain simultaneously addicts to the nicotine AND whatever you happen to be doing at the moment + you get all the CNS stimulation effects as well
>>
>>7603151
Also nic by itself carries only the basic dangers of stimulants, increased heart rate +wear/tear is the main one to watch. Cancer is mostly from the tars and stuff in tobacco products, not nicotine itself.
>>
>>7603173
Also gonna say that you can use this method to "addict" yourself to pretty much any activity.
>>
>>7603151
Source on those claims?
>>
>>7603173
It's also a vasoconstrictor which can get pretty bad in the long term
>>
File: snus_LInn005[1].jpg (17 KB, 450x301) Image search: [Google]
snus_LInn005[1].jpg
17 KB, 450x301
>>7603151
Nothing like good snus and a patrician book
>>
>>7602266
Honestly, this. I didn't do it on purpose, but found that reading was infinitely more interesting than how most people, myself included, live; now I just read books all day.
>>
>>7603337
So what you're saying is that you're gonna spend your life living vicariously?
Maybe you should have a kid.
>>
>>7603351
Except that the literary and aesthetic ideals I've (arguably autistically) derived from fiction make me contemptuous of most women in terms of appearance and personality.

So I don't think that's gonna happen. I'm a 22 year old virgin NEET with little desire, less opportunity, and pretty much zero ability to meet and communicate with girls. The jig is up.
>>
>>7603256
>>7603256
gwern dot net/Nicotine
>>
>>7603375
>22
>The jig is up.

Seriously? Read Proust and start turning your life around. Quit measuring yourself up to the shallow lifestyles of spoiled, modern teenagers who have no sense of beauty past instagram posts. Unless you're literally the elephant man, work your ass off like the rest of us and keep trying to figure out how to be happy.
>>
>>7604872
just be yourself xd
>>
>>7604878
Seriously, if you dont already know what makes you happy by the time youre an adult, you dont deserve to be happy.
>>
>>7604878
that anon did not mention having crippling depression so would mostly benefit from discipline and applying himself
>>
>>7600999
Lexapro ruined me I think

Have fun
>>
>>7604872
But anon I like my books more than I like people. I know how books work, and they won't reject me or laugh at me.
>>
>>7603041

It's just 7 pages. And you're on a lit board.
>>
>>7600675
Start with the Greeks.
>>
I had a friend who used amphetamines. Continued use has caused him to become impotent. Then he developed paranoid schizophrenia. Now he hears voices through the floor mocking him and thinks that everyone he meets is plotting to kill him.
After I realized where the path of amphetamines leads, I decided to leave it be. And the idiot that says withdrawals come from giving up amphetamine is wrong. Only opiates and Benzodiazepines have a physical withdrawal.

Now that I don't use hard drugs anymore, to escape the monotony of my life I have returned to my first addiction: reading.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.