[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the best novels about exploration/explorers? Fiction
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: Hunter.x.Hunter.full.1292211.jpg (631 KB, 3300x1862) Image search: [Google]
Hunter.x.Hunter.full.1292211.jpg
631 KB, 3300x1862
What are the best novels about exploration/explorers? Fiction only

I only got Terror, Dr Doolittle and Moby Dick so far. Colonialism more than welcome, modern twist on formula even more so.
>>
Most of Jules Verne
>>
Killua best boy
>>
>>7600659
overrated

vastly so
>>
>>7600663
Fine
Heart of Darkness
King Solomon's Mines
She
>>
Killua is cuuuute
>>
>>7600672
could you be any more generic?
>>
>>7600683
They're good books.
>>
>>7600698
not really except heart of darkness

rest only have value as imperialistic lit.
>>
>>7600757
Haha, no.
>>
>>7600769
yes, it's a literary genre specific to period

sorry coldsteel
>>
Handful of Dust, to an extent, I guess.
>>
Swiss Family Robinson and Gulliver's Travels
>>
>>7600757
They're not imperialistic
>>
>>7600814
yes they are
>>
"The conquest of the earth, which mostly means the taking it away from those who have a different complexion or slightly flatter noses than ourselves, is not a pretty thing when you look into it too much." - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

"We feel now that our rule over these territories can only be justified if we can show that it adds to the happiness and prosperity of the people, and I maintain that our rule does, and has, brought security and I maintain that our rule does, and has, brought security and peace and comparative prosperity to countries that never knew these blessings before."- Joseph Chamberlain, The True Conception of Empire

The literature of the British Empire falls mainly into two different camps that reflected the different opinions of the time. One camp thought that it was the Empire's obligation to expand its borders to improve the quality of life in the world. Some examples of this idea would be Rudyard Kipling's poem The White Man's Burden and Chamberlain's True Conception of an Empire.
>>
>>7600924
King Solomon's Mines and She are adventure novels in fantastic locales.
>>
>>7600934
imperialistic spirit and worldview is what is important
>>
>>7600948
No, it's just foreigners in an exotic country going on bizarre adventures.
>>
>>7600988
Empire citizens
>>
>>7601019
Ah, well I concede that point.
>>
>>7600658
Edgar Rice Burroughs.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.