[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any good editions or guides to Paradise Lost that have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
Are there any good editions or guides to Paradise Lost that have a lot of footnotes or explain certain references in detail?
>>
Yes

every 11th grade high school English class

get off 4chan and do your homework
>>
>>7600589
Dude, I'm not even in high school, I just want to read Paradise Lost and have a decent grasp on the references so I understand things better.
>>
>>7600570
>>7600570
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~milton/reading_room/pl/book_1/text.shtml

will this do??????
>>
>>7600608
yeah, this is pretty detailed, thanks
>>
>>7600570
Go for the Oxford edition

Also dont listen to that asshole. In highschool juniors typically read the first half of book one. Theres 12 books and it is certainly at an adult reading level
>>
Milton "scholar" here (not really, but basically all of my academic work has been on him). The Milton Reading Room (as >>7600608 linked) will do if you just want archaic/idiosyncratic language use explained, but it won't give you a good insight into Milton's philosophy, religion or even his (extremely numerous) classical allusions. It also won't put you up to date with Milton criticism, which a proper edition will. Both the OUP (eds. Orgel & Goldberg) or the Penguin (ed. Leonard) have very in-depth explanatory notes, though I suggest trying to read as much of it in sequence as you can without looking towards the notes. It's better to let the rolling thunder of his "God-gifted organ-voice" overwhelm you first, even if it means only understanding it later.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.