[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think of writing while on/getting inspiration
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: mkay.jpg (13 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
mkay.jpg
13 KB, 640x480
What does /lit/ think of writing while on/getting inspiration from drugs? Weed honestly maintains if not elevates my writing capabilities and LSD has made me write some insane shit which seems to make perfect sense at the time.
Famous poets have reportedly written masterpieces while on opiates etc so what do you guys think on the matter? I'll be interested to hear the responses.
Inb4 pic related btw
>>
>>7599990
For me, they're all degenerates. You can't write if you're not of sound mind (see the inferior literature of blacks, women, liberals [drug-abusers], and gays).
>>
im pretty sure opiates chemically limit creativity or something but in my experience writing on coke (and to an extent pharmaceutical stimulants) is really something, shit just pours out and you can edit/quality control later if you want. booze also helps the words come but they always seem pretty stupid afterwards
>>
>>7599990
No. Drugs make your work sound like utter nonsense and those using them should be thrown in prison for polluting the streets with their presence.
>>
>>7600019
>>7600013
>>7600012
None of you addressed the idea that well known and creative pieces of work genuinely have rooted from the inspiration of events visualised on drugs and in some cases even while on the drugs themselves.
I'm not gonna dig out my old poem anthology just for the sake of this thread but context sections definitely spoke quite commonly on the poets and their experiences with drugs.
>>
Kubla Khan is one example, no matter how laughable it may be.
>>
when you're 18
>hurr drugs are bad lol

when you're 25
>shit drugs really are bad
>>
>>7599990
LSD, DMT, mescaline, shrooms etc. are good for inspiration. Don't write while on them though. I typed so some stuff while on acid, when I looked at it the next day I was having a hard time even figuring out what worlds I was trying to type.
A lot of great writes did cocaine and obviously drank alcohol.
Weed is for degenerates.
>>
A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.
>>
I tried writing after taking some LSD; I actually wrote the general outline of a plot:

"A cult with a fascist-oriented ideology is trying to influence the governments of Latin America. Using religion as an excuse, they're able to manipulate the crowds by raising the bar of what's socially acceptable, and what's not. There are two best friends on each side of the conflict."

Don't write while you're on drugs, kids. Actually, don't take drugs at all.
>>
You guys are all pussies.

Use drugs just use them wisely.

A life without drugs might as well just be a fish or a mosquito
>>
Alcohol and adderall have always produced some of my best writing. And the aftermath of weed for me has been a really creative time. Like when I'm coming off a high but not really high.
>>
File: 1418415747909.jpg (235 KB, 717x960) Image search: [Google]
1418415747909.jpg
235 KB, 717x960
I hate writing stoned but I rather enjoy editing when I'm stoned. Weed makes me feel less fidgety when it comes to doing grunt-work or procedural/repetitive stuff.
Making art or music is fun on psychedelics but staring at a white page isn't, better to go look at a sunset.
>>
>>7600037
Give examples of the well known works you think we are ignoring.
>>
>>7601112
DUDE WEED LMAO
>>
>>7601479
See
>>7600050
>>
I read part of the count of monte Cristo on lsd and it was very enjoyable and the imagery was intense.
>>
Drugs turn people into total faggots
>>
On weed, I've come up with stupid song lyrics on the fly, in the company of others. On LSD, I just curled up on my floor and listened to my body vibrate like a jackhammer.
>>
/lit/ isn't a person desu
>>
I got a few sort of interesting things from drugs but I'm not sure I'm better off for having done them. Aside from all the drugged up sex. That has been great.
>>
>>7599990
I guarantee you that your writing is incoherent bullshit, no matter how many drugs you take to fool yourself that it's good.

Even writers who were actual drug addicts or alcoholics never wrote while actually on substances.
>>
Periodically smoking weed between chapters of my second reading of Gravity's Rainbow was one of my better literary experiences
>>
>>7602872
What about Malcolm Lowry?
>>
Written some of my best shit high

The right weed and ambiance makes me tap into something incredible, like I'm snatching it out of the air. Whether it's a daemon as the Greeks conceptualized them or the brain has always got like a background field creative processes going on and the weed is making me more conscious of them idk. I can hear music, see music videos in my head, imagine whole scenes and characters it's dope
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (3 MB, 1584x1532) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
3 MB, 1584x1532
>>7602872
Forgot my image. Stay in school!
>>
>>7599990
I hate this whole 'drugs make you creative' bullshit, 99% of the artists who work while under influence produce shit they can't tell is shit, the 1% who can do it despite the drug because they are naturally good.
>>
>>7602881
who?
>>
File: thomas-pynchon.jpg (85 KB, 620x410) Image search: [Google]
thomas-pynchon.jpg
85 KB, 620x410
Name me literally one good writer who did not smoke weed erryday.
>>
>>7602892
Post some of it.

Bet you anything it's just four pages of you writing the words "Chicken Butt" over and over again.
>>
>>7602921
I've posted some in the crit threads and gotten positive feedback. Le dumb weed man maymay
>>
>>7602874
Same. Squares be hatin
>>
>>7603737
>he doesn't smoke a blunt to the head while reading blood meridian/evola/Herodotus/Spengler/east of Eden/Heidegger/Schopenhauer/kierkegaard/Dante/rilke

Never gonna make it
>>
>>7602020
This
>>
Go away Lin. No one here likes you.
>>
>>7600071
I agree but at the same time, "drugs" is an insanely broad term. I mean, you can narrow it down to "recreational drugs" or "illegal drugs" but those are mutable categories.
>>
I like coffee
>>
>>7604045
holy shit
get your life together man :(
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.