[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Never read DFW, Pynchon, Joyce, Henry Miller, Kerouac, Burroughs,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
Never read DFW, Pynchon, Joyce, Henry Miller, Kerouac, Burroughs, or anything else along those lines.

I have however read a tonne of classical literature. I adore Hemingway and other "normie" writers. Something about unfamiliar prose puts me off deeply. I guess it's the same way The Beatles don't appeal to me.

Where should I start if I want to very sheepishly dip my toe into the /lit/ style of writing?

Pic related, dropped after 2 pages
>>
The Dubliners - Joyce
The Nigger of the 'Narcissus' - Conrad
The Book of the New Sun - Wolfe
>>
>>7599844
blood meridian
last exit to brooklyn
to the lighthouse
>>
>>7599849
>The Dubliners

triggered
>>
>>7599915
https://youtu.be/qstUxos2cBs
>>
Borges
>>
>>7599844
>classic lit
>Hemmmingway but not Joyce

This is bait right?
>>
read queer by burroughs
it has an almost classical feel and normally fairly standard prose (slightly disturbing story of unrequited love) but still dips into his "routines" and weird prose/surrealism occasionally
>>
>>7599921
>https://youtu.be/qstUxos2cBs

Fuck yeah great band
>>
>>7599844
The stranger
>>
>>7600000
Nice.
>>
If you have appreciation for the craft of writing and prose Tropic of Cancer is a fucking gem.
>>
>>7600000
Look at all those assholes made for fucking
>>
>>7599844
the video game store
>>
>>7599844
100 Years of Solitude
The Odyssey

Are very readable and also respected by /lit/
>>
>>7600158
>1984
>respected by /lit/
>>
>>7599844
The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as “the greatest or most significant or most influential” rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.
>>
>>7600000
holy shit
>>
>>7599844
Man the writers you listed are definitely read by normies. I don't understand this post at all.
How is Hemingway "classical" literature but those other guys aren't?
Read the fucking sticky faggot.
>>
>>7600699
who are the greatest of blues?
>>
>>7600699
we need a /lit/ version of this
>>
>the Beatles
>not normie music
>>
>>7600091

This.

Give it another try later down the line, OP.
>>
>>7601056
we might just find something on scaruffi page, he also writes about philosophy and literature
>>
>>7600992
death grips
>>
>>7600179

1984 is a great book, it's just that it had the misfortune of both being required reading in high school and having been adopted as a prophecy by anti-establisment neckbeards after the Snowden leaks.
>>
>>7599844
Tropic of Cancer is fucking shit.
>>
>>7602228
He's also a complete hack.
>>
>>7601056
We do, the Bloom copypasta about Harry Potter
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.