[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm going to do it, /lit/. 50 pages a day, minimum. Non-fiction
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1
File: pages.jpg (208 KB, 981x1300) Image search: [Google]
pages.jpg
208 KB, 981x1300
I'm going to do it, /lit/.

50 pages a day, minimum. Non-fiction and literature exclusively.

How many pages do you read a day on average?
>>
Around 50 too. Also non-fiction. Just finished Outsiders by Howard S Becker. Will finish the Capital now.
You'll notice pages have fewer or more words from book to book. Just stick to 50 and you're fine. If you feel you can go for 75 on special days after you've done them, don't hesitate.
>>
I don't count pages but generally I do an hour in the afternoon and an hour or two in bed at night.
>>
>>7599028
300-500 pages/week
>>
I read at least a book a week and have done since I was 12 years old. If it's a novella I'll usually read it twice rather than rush onto another book. One of the reasons browsing /lit/ is so tiring for someone like myself is that I'm already one step ahead of everybody else here. While you guys are reading your "[Major new outlet's] Top 100 Summer Reads" I'm already improving my understanding of Albanian semiotics. Do you realize how frustrating it is to see thread after thread dedicated to books that I read when I had barely entered puberty? I'm talking to adult human males about books I comprehended when I hadn't even experienced my first kiss. My political stance is both unique and profound. My theoretical understanding is so detailed and has available to it such a wide frame of reference that I can literally count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've seen a book mentioned here that I haven't already deconstructed, analyzed and theoretically eviscerated. Not even that but my reading speed (23.7 words per second) places me in a position whereby I've already read the latest book being published several days before the first thread about it is finally posted. Sometimes I pass by one of the mirrors upstairs and I stop and consider myself a moment and wonder "who knew the ubermensch would be so unhappy?" A profound question for a profound mind.
>>
>>7599028

I try for about 100 pages a day on weekdays, 150 on weekends. Split between mornings and evenings evenly usually, or 25/75 on days of an exam/test. This is not counting reading for University classes, of course.

That said, it doesn't particularly matter how quickly you read, or how much you read, necessarily. A wise man can draw more out of fifty pages than an idiot can out of five-hundred.

Now if you're an idiot who also can't read, well, them's the breaks, OP.
>>
>>7599095

Now, see? This is the idiot I was talking about in my post prior.
>>
im an absolute fucking retard so minimum 20 pages a day. just started reading last year. i get flamed for it a lot but at least im reading. :)
>>
50 a day is a good minimum to aim for and will get you through almost any book in 2 weeks maximum
>>
>>7599028
Well I read Maeco Rubios American Dreams and Tao Lins Teipei yesterday. Today I plan on reading Sir Thomas Moore's Utopia
>>
Oh wow an hour's worth of reading, keep it up, proud of you.
>>
>>7599095
I'd like to see more of this pasta
>>
I try and do 50-100 pages a day of literature, minimum. 25-50 for non-fiction. Sometimes I do a lot more, rarely do I do less.
>>
I can't count pages without getting distracted from the book. But I generally read about a half hour a day at minimum, and 2-3 hours on days that I can.

Anyone else read like 4 books at a time? I alternatively read a lot of history texts and 1000-page works interspersed with short fiction and short stories and poetry that I go through in a few days at most.

I used to try to avoid starting anything before I was finished with the last book, but I've found it makes me think I'm forcing myself to read, and I enjoy different types of literature for different reasons, so there's no reason to make them compete when I can just read whatever im in the mood for at any point in time
>>
>>7599028
in school
100-200 a day for class
100 personal
>>
>>7599939
i read several books at a time. i think most authors are really best enjoyed au jus - with a couple of their peers, and a major influence of theirs at the same time.
>>
>>7599939
i can only read one novel at a time, but i have been known to have a novel, some philosophy and some poetry all going at the same time
>>
Average 300 - 400 pages a day
>>
Usually I do two hours a day of reading. It honestly depends on whether I can motivate myself to read or not. If I can't, then I don't - I won't absorb it if I am not motivated. But that's 40pg an hour.

I guess I also read my newspaper daily. I've been lacking recently.
>>
I do like 50 minimum too but I always felt like that was too little with how much time I have. I also read kind of slow (not native language and all).
>>
>>7599095
that is some sexy ass pasta.
>>
>>7599962
>au jus
Nice

OP, if you're serious about making this a lifelong habit, you might instead consider making it a goal to read 1 page a day. Of course, you can read more than that, but by setting such a small standard for success you stack the odds in your favor. Why challenge yourself when you can instead make a change in your habits -- which is necessarily difficult to adjust to due to human nature even under the best if circumstances -- as easy and comfortable as possible? Once your page a day becomes an immutable habit, then you can graduate to a 2-page minimum, 3, 10, 20, etc.
>>
>>7599113
Hey, good on you anon. 20 pages minimum isn't that bad all if you just started last year. Keep it up, you'll get there.
>>
>>7599028

You are an idiot if you aim for some minimum, you should not consume books like a disgusting glutton. Read as long as your head keeps following the book and take your time to understand everything.
Why is everyone on /lit/ a prideful chucklefuck boasting with his reading speed/quantity?
>>
I want to read more but I think it's killing my eyes. Can that happen?
Also got a phone a few months ago, I've noticed my eyes getting really bad ever since.
>>
>>7599095
>reading a novella twice before moving on

I like this idea desu
>>
but, do you guys take notes?
>>
>>7604054
>read 6-8 hours a day, occasionally even up to 10
>take notes
upon finishing a text
>review my notes
>record my favorite passages into a text file
>type 4-12 pages of commentary on what I've just read

The extra stuff altogether probably tacks on another 4-8 hours to any book I read, but it does wonders for retention, reflection, and analysis.
>>
>>7603823
You might need glasses. Have you been to an optometrist or ophthalmologist?
>>
>>7604108
>recording favorite passages
Just use a highlighter, unless you're one of those faggots who are prudish about "defacing" their books.
>>
Averaging 47.8 pages this year
>>
>>7604141
My books are covered in margin notes, brackets, and underlining. I type up the passages to have them all in one place in a searchable format.
>>
about 500 a day

tfw neet
>>
He's also highlighted his certificate of diagnosis
>>
>>7604135
No, not yet. I'm probably going to get glasses though. My brother is a programmer and is on the computer all day and he's got 20/20, I don't know why my shit is all fucked up.
>>
Depends on the book but I average 50 pages a day. Usually only read 5 days a week though
>>
I read on Kindle, so I try to do 600 "emplacements" of literature and 600 of philosophy every day. If a chapter is bigger than 600, I will finish the chapter.
>>
>>7604108
I also do this, and I also do it for music, film and videogames. Every year I format all my entries nicely into a journal and print it.
>>
Averaging about 100 pages a day for the past few years
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.