[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can /lit/ recommend any books about the nature of identity?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: apollo-and-dionysus.jpg (62 KB, 643x760) Image search: [Google]
apollo-and-dionysus.jpg
62 KB, 643x760
Can /lit/ recommend any books about the nature of identity?

Non-fiction preferred but fiction is also welcome.
>>
>>7598365
A Song of Ice and Fire. Not even joking, that is a major theme in them.
>>
Try Pirandello
>>
>>7598365
Between the world and me
>>
>>7599035
Any specific works?

>>7599045
That looks like it focuses on racial identity (though I could be wrong). I apologize since I wasn't more specific in my original post but I was looking more for books that dealt with subjects like the Apollonian and Dionysian dichotomy, Freud's structural model of the psyche, etc. Or does that book deal with those subjects?

Again, non-fiction preferred but ficiton welcome.
>>
Good overview for a starter:
G.G. Harris, "Concepts of Individual, Self, and Person in Description and Analysis," American Anthropologist, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 599–612, 1989

Erving Goffman, The Presentation of the Self in Everyday Life

Marcel Mauss, "A category of the human mind: the notion of person; the notion of person; the notion of self"
http://www.gpgrieve.org/PDF/Category_of_the%20_Person.pdf

Clifford Geertz, "From the native's point of view," in _Local Knowledge: Further Essays In Interpretive Anthropology_

L.A. Dumont, "A modified view of our origins: the Christian beginnings of modern individualism," in _The category of the person: Anthropology, Philosophy, History_ <--- also good in general, and has Mauss' article above

Melford Spiro, "Is the Western Conception of the. Self "Peculiar" within the Context of the. World Cultures?"
http://www.psych.utoronto.ca/users/tafarodi/psy425/articles/Spiro%20(1993).pdf

D.W. Murray, "What Is the Western Concept of the Self? On Forgetting David Hume," Ethos, Volume 21, Issue 1, March 1993, Pages 3–23

Karl Smith, "From dividual and individual selves to porous subjects," The Australian Journal of Anthropology, Volume 23, Issue 1, pages 50–64, April 2012
>>
>>7601113
http://nyupress.org/books/9780814756515/

http://www.sunypress.edu/p-2240-deconstructive-subjectivities.aspx

http://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/classical-studies/classical-literature/freuds-rome-psychoanalysis-and-latin-poetry?format=PB

http://www.cairn-int.info/journal-recherches-en-psychanalyse-2010-1.htm
>>
>>7598365
It's to the other man, to Borges, that things happen. I walk along the streets of Buenos Aires, stopping now and then - perhaps out of habit - to look at the arch of an old entranceway or a grillwork gate; of Borges I get news through the mail and glimpse his name among a committee of professors or in a dictionary of biography. I have a taste for hourglasses, maps, eighteenth-century typography, the roots of words, the smell of coffee, and Stevenson's prose; the other man shares these likes, but in a showy way that turns them into stagy mannerisms. It would be an exaggeration to say that we are on bad terms; I live, I let myself live, so that Borges can weave his tales and poems, and those tales and poems are my justification. It is not hard for me to admit that he has managed to write a few worthwhile pages, but these pages cannot save me, perhaps because what is good no longer belongs to anyone - not even the other man - but rather to speech or tradition. In any case, I am fated to become lost once and for all, and only some moment of myself will survive in the other man. Little by little, I have been surrendering everything to him, even though I have evidence of his stubborn habit of falsification and exaggerating. Spinoza held that all things try to keep on being themselves; a stone wants to be a stone and the tiger a tiger. I shall remain in Borges, not in myself (if it is so that I am someone), but I recognize myself less in his books than in those of others or than in the laborious tuning of a guitar. Years ago, I tried ridding myself of him, and I went from myths of the outlying slums of the city to games with time and infinity, but those games are now part of Borges, and I will have to turn to other things. And so my life is a running away, and I lose everything and everything is left to oblivion or to the other man.
Which of us is writing this page I don't know.
>>
>>7601166
Thank you.
>>
>>7598365
mother night is a good time
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.