[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Share with us some of the obscure literary factoids you know
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 221
Thread images: 16
File: 1453083217600.jpg (129 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1453083217600.jpg
129 KB, 800x600
Share with us some of the obscure literary factoids you know
>>
My dad roomed with Steinbeck Jr. in boarding school.
>>
Rilke needed money pretty badly so Wittgenstein patronized him for a while.
>>
Hemingway clocked Wallace Stevens in the jaw and made him cry like a bitch
>>
Vargas Llosa clocked Garcia Marquez in the jaw and made him cry like a bitch
>>
>>7598248
Kek. Stevens was like 57. Ernie was a punk ass.
>>
>>7598230
Both Victor Hugo's and James Joyces's daughters are thought to have been Schizophrenics. Adele Hugo stalked a British Officer half way around the world.
>>
David Foster Wallace clocked Brett Easton Edgelord in his lack of talent and made him cry like a bitch for years, even after Wallace died Edeglord was still crying like a bitch anywhere he could.
>>
>>7598259
thats because BEE is actually a faggot, just like you are
>>
>>7598230

Leigh Hunt is actually thought to have murdered Milton.
>>
>>7598230
Roberto Bolaño really planned the kidnap of Octavio Paz.
>>
Celine wrote for money only
Borges received Vargas Llosa once. Vargas Llosa told him something stupid about his flat and Borges told him to gtfo
>>
>>7598230
While teaching Toni Morrison's Song of Solomon at Emerson, David Wallace once called a black student "my nigga" in passing.
>>
File: 2458206.jpg (63 KB, 312x475) Image search: [Google]
2458206.jpg
63 KB, 312x475
Is this any good?
>>
>>7598283
I thought the story went that Wallace said "hey noobie" to a black freshman student, and that kid went to the Dean complaing Dave called him a Nubian.
>>
>At the age of 16, in 1813, Mary Godwin eloped with her to-be husband P.B. Shelley and engages in a ménage à trois with Claire Clairmont, a future lover of Lord Byron, with whom the Shelleys would later have an extensive relationship
>>
>>7598230
While locked up, the Marquis DeSade often raped other prisoners. So much he had to be locked up in the Bastille. He yelled to the crowd that he was being beaten and raped by the guards, which helped radicalize the crowd and resulted on the French Revolution.
>>
>>7598289

It's just like buzzfeed: a novel
An ex of mine got me the artist edition. Just little facts and a small bio. Honestly like something just to read while on an airplane or something.
>>
>>7598271
Having been fascinated with knife fights and fighters in his youth, JLB took a blind swing with his cane and knocked down an entire shelf of books with an infinite number of pages. He stooped and felt around on the floor at the piles of unruly books, his eyes pointed to a ceiling he wasn't sure was there, as he realised he had trapped himself in a labyrinth of infinite shelves of infinite books with infinite pages. The Other - who was none other than his younger self - had fled or hidden himself in the mayhem or had never existed. None of this had ever existed, or had always existed, or everything that was ever to exist had always existed.

"This post is making such a poorly written, bad taste mockery of my writing and themes" he protested, yet he resigned himself to his fate. He was a meme now. "As long as they keep posting me, I live", he grinned inwardly.
>>
Vladimir Nabokov cheated on his wife Vera.
>>
>>7598263
You lost me on this one anon. Is this a reference to something?
>>
Joyce was pretty deep into scat and farting fetishes.
>>
>>7598541
From letter to Nora
>At every fuck I gave you your shameless tongue came bursting out through your lips and if a gave you a bigger stronger fuck than usual, fat dirty farts came spluttering out of your backside. You had an arse full of farts that night, darling, and I fucked them out of you, big fat fellows, long windy ones, quick little merry cracks and a lot of tiny little naughty farties ending in a long gush from your hole. It is wonderful to fuck a farting woman when every fuck drives one out of her. I think I would know Nora’s fart anywhere. I think I could pick hers out in a roomful of farting women. It is a rather girlish noise not like the wet windy fart which I imagine fat wives have. It is sudden and dry and dirty like what a bold girl would let off in fun in a school dormitory at night. I hope Nora will let off no end of her farts in my face so that I may know their smell also.
>>
>>7598541
>I got your hot letter tonight and have been trying to picture you frigging your cunt in the closet. How do you do it? Do you stand against the wall with your hand tickling up under your clothes or do you squat down on the hole with your skirts up and your hand hard at work in through the slit of your drawers? Does it give you the horn now to shit? I wonder how you can do it. Do you come in the act of shitting or do you frig yourself off first and then shit? It must be a fearfully lecherous thing to see a girl with her clothes up frigging furiously at her cunt, to see her pretty white drawers pulled open behind and her bum sticking out and a fat brown thing stuck half-way out of her hole. You say you will shit your drawers, dear, and let me fuck you then. I would like to hear you shit them, dear, first and then fuck you. Some night when we are somewhere in the dark and talking dirty and you feel your shite ready to fall put your arms round my neck in shame and shit it down softly.
>>
Samuel Beckett once got stabbed by a pimp.
>>
Kimitake Hiraoka was rumoured to be a homosexual and allegedly killed himself when one of the meetings with his group of students went wrong;
>>
That's not even close to the most interesting thing about the Shelleys.

>On the first anniversary of Mary Shelley's death, the Shelleys opened her box-desk. Inside they found locks of her dead children's hair, a notebook she had shared with Percy Bysshe Shelley, and a copy of his poem Adonaïs with one page folded round a silk parcel containing some of his ashes and the remains of his heart.
>a copy of his poem Adonaïs with one page folded round a silk parcel containing some of his ashes and the remains of his heart.
>and the remains of his heart.
>his fucking heart.

The story goes that his heart wouldn't burn when he was cremated, possibly due to calcification from a bout of tuberculosis. A friend saved it from the pyre and later gave it to Mary, who was said to carry it on her person for most of the rest of her life.
>>
Brian O'Nolan (Flann O'Brien) was a newspaper columist and would send fake hostile letters about himself into the paper, he would have drawn out confrontations with different versions of himself. This could be the progenitor of "shitposting"
>>
>>7598556
Beckett frequented the same bar cafe in Montparnasse as Sarte but they were not close
>>
Proust liked to pay prostitutes to kill rats with a hatpin or tear up pictures of his mother while he jacked off.

>>7598552
Eww, fuck. Never seen this one before.
>>
Vladimir Nabokov and Evelyn Waugh were bullies - Waugh at elementary school, and Nabokov at home, to his younger brother.
>>
W.H. Auden buggered John Betjeman at Oxford. Betjeman's contemporary at university, Evelyn Waugh, used Betjeman as one of the models for the character of Lord Sebastian Flyte, who in the novel Brideshead Revisited engages in a possibly homosexual relationship with the protagonist, Ryder, which is the focal point of the novel's plot.
>>
>>7598230
Shakespeare was gay. Homer was a woman. Mozart was Black. Dante was an alien. Chaucer was a spoon.
>>
Karl Marx had 9 year old slaves which he repeatedly raped in his basement for years and had 126 illegitimate kids of which 109 were killed by suffocation. Im not even kidding google it.
>>
>>7598644
>Chaucer was a spoon
I thought he was a dish?
>>
>>7598688
No, that's Saucer.
>>
>>7598230
DFW was a life long Redditor and frequented R/ books.
>>
>>7598691
Good one!
>>
>>7598695
Good One!
>>
>>7598688
I thought he was a shoemacher, but nice dubs.
>>
>>7598236
I used to live in Monterey, California, and I got to tour Steinbeck's house. Was just as depressing as his books.
>>
>>7598292
Source? This needs to be real.
>>
>>7598230
The poet Sappho was a lesbian.
>>
>>7598704
Tortilla Flat is uproarious
>>
Henry Flowers which was Leopold Bloom's pen name in Ullyses was the real life name of an English police officer based in Dublin castle at the time.
In the early 1900's there was a case of a maid girl going missing and being found mutilated in the canal, Henry Flowers was the last person seen with her and they had appeared to be struggling.
The maid girl worked in the exact same house that the maid girl in the story Two Gallants in Dubliners. Also Joyce described her the exact same way and she had 'red flowers' pinned to her plus Corely (lenahan and corely from two gallants) has been identified as Michael Corely the real life son of another police man by Joyce biographer Richard Ellman.
Henry Flowers disappeared without a trace.
>>
>>7598600
>Proust liked to pay prostitutes to kill rats with a hatpin or tear up pictures of his mother while he jacked off.
He did that himself. He never paid prostitutes to do it.
>>
David Foster Wallace was actually 99 years old when he wrote Infinite Jest.
>>
William Faulkner's middle name was actually Mary.
>>
>>7598858
Cormac McCarthy came up with the idea for Blood Meridian when he was in the bath and noticed that his body displaced the water. He shouted "Eureka!" and ran naked down the street to tell his publisher.
>>
During the writing of White Noise, Don DeLillo was hated by his neighbours because of his extremely rude behavior towards them, and they had a party when he moved out.
>>
James Joyce originally started writing Ulysses when he was five years old and finally finished the manuscript two years after his death.
>>
Vladimir Nabokov wrote Lolita by taking random words from the dictionary and arranging them to form a coherent story.
>>
Flaubert spent six years writing and rewriting Madame Bovary.

Vergil went to a rhetorics school but he was terrible at it and gave up.

According to the priest from "Madame Bovary", Voltaire died while eating his own shit.
>>
Nostradamus once wrote "Five hundred years hence, there will be a place in nowhere called the fourth cham full of nobodies who will defecate about famous authors."
>>
>>7598961
Do you think you are funny?
>>
>>7598975
no
>>
George Orwell's classic novel was originally called "Animal Form" because he felt the form of the animals was one of the most important themes of the book, but when a printing error caused it to come out as "Farm," he liked it so much that he decided to keep it.
>>
Anthony Burgess's classic novel was originally called A Clockwork Porange until his editor informed him there was no such word as Porange.
>>
Aldous Huxley's Brave New World started off as a simple shopping list, but it soon ballooned to 300 pages and turned into the classic novel we all know today.
>>
Zadie Smith used to be called 'Poo Poe' while she was in Cambridge because she was once caught short and had to use a book for toilet paper. She also used to get in a lot of trouble with the Police as she was brown.
>>
During the writing of Gravity's Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon became addicted to stadium franks, and had to frequently attend baseball games to feed his obsession.
>>
James Joyce wrote Ulysses so long ago that the technology from his time would seem primitive by today's standards.
>>
When Stephen King was asked how he is able to remain so prolific, he answered, "One word: sandwiches." Stephen King eats over 200 sandwiches a day.
>>
Ezra Pound helped get Joyce's Portrait of the Artist and Ulysses published
>>
>>7599012
She also changed her name from Sadie to Zadie in order to sound less white. Pretty pathetic if you ask me
>>
David Foster Wallace was born within months of Gina Gershon.
>>
James Joyce insisted on being called "Jimmy" even though everyone hated saying it.
>>
>>7599043
really?
>>
In 1968, Borges had gotten so annoyed by his lack of Nobel prizes(literature and other) that he published an open letter in a prominent Buenos Aires daily, in which he basically accused the Nobel committe of being illiterate hacks. His outburst didn't receive nearly as much international response as he had hoped. As a further publicity effort, he then sent opinion pieces(for some reason including pictures of paralyzed frogs) to other international papers and magzines, written under the name of Nobel committee members attacking Borges' original opinion piece. These are now believed to have been dictated by Borges to his scarcely known brother, F.Regginaldo Borges.
>>
Jorge Luis Borges was a famously terrible professor. His classes would consist of screenings of the latest Hollywood films. interspersed with his own highly offensive rants about sensitive political issues.
>>
>>7599145

I hope this is real.

>>7599163

I knew he would rant about Peron during lectures sometimes, but I didn't know he was actually a bad teacher...
>>
The chatacter Tao Lin was originally based on Towlie, the anthropomorphic pot smoking towel from the television drama "South Park".
>>
>>7599176
>not being hip to fregg memes
LMF
>>
File: spongemobile.jpg (268 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
spongemobile.jpg
268 KB, 1200x900
>>7599046
apparently Joyce would sit and get absolutely hammered most nights while Pound and Sylvia Beach would be actually working at editing Ulysses
>>
George RR Martin actually didn't know what a capon was until he saw HBOs staging of one of his feast scenes- he had them confused with capers.
>>
The trial, by Kafka was in fact autobiographical.
>>
>>7599217
>tfw no Ezra Pound bro who would do anything for me
>>
Toni Morrison clocked Gabriel Garcia Marquez in the jaw and made him cry like a little bitch.
>>
>>7598391
just once or many times? Doesn't surprise me after reading Ada
>>
Tao Lin started this thread on a drug trip and made up about 16 fake facts for the thread. He also dropped his phone on his face 3 times during the duration of the thread
>>
Ernest Hemingway was known to "go magnetic" at times, when various metals would attach themselves to his body.
>>
>>7599254
so was The Metamorphosis
>>
Solzhenitsyn meet with Putin before he died and thought positively of his authoritarianism and social conservatism
>>
David Foster Wallace didn't actually know what water was. The shame he felt about this ignorance may have been a major contributor to his suicide.
>>
Taming of the Shrew was the subversion of a medieval tradition of plays that cast the shrew woman as a generally unflappable character and the mouth of wisdom.
>>
Lovecraft had a cat named Nigger Man, during his childhood.
>>
William S. Burroughs was actually straight edge. He was deeply religious and had never even touched a drop of alcohol his entire life.
>>
>>7599392
For some reason this one has made me laugh the hardest
>>
>>7599254
every work of fiction is partly autobiographical
>>
>>7598391
Duh.
>>
>>7598556
And dropped the charges because Beckett liked him.
>>
>>7598848
wait what
can you explain what the fuck that means
legitimately serious whats the implication here and why would Joyce go to the trouble to write that
>>
>>7599393
He got better.
>>
File: shakespearecandidates1.jpg (91 KB, 216x292) Image search: [Google]
shakespearecandidates1.jpg
91 KB, 216x292
>>7598230
>Harold Bloom would go with his friends out to parks and recite Whitman
>The Crying of Lot 49 wasn't seen as a "novel" in Pynchon's eyes
>Pynchon struggled(struggles?) to call himself a "novelist", but sees himself as something like a "word-engineer"
>Metaphysical poetry has no link to Platonism
>James Joyce wrote some saucy saucy saucy letters to his wife
>Arguably the top four century female writers: The Bronte sisters and Jane Austen, all led some of the most inactive and lonely lives ever.
>Seven years of Shakespeare's life are undocumented. No one has any idea what happened in them.
>T.S.Eliot was a full-time banker, as well as an editor
>Plato was the first writer (that we know of) that was also a professional sportsman. He was a wrestler before a philosopher
>Walter De La Mare used to edit the St. Paul's Cathedral magazine in his youth - making word puzzles, writing and editing articles
>Darwin was probably addicted to snuff
>Dickens suffered from insomnia. In the time he wasn't sleeping, he would walk through graveyards
>Despite their writing at the same time and about the same themes, Melville and Whitman probably never read each other
>Dostoevsky wrote primarily to pay his way out of gambling debts
>In the ex-communist Eastern Europe, it was required for university students to be taught the lessons of Das Kapital. It wasn't a requirement for the teachers to understand it. They rarely did.
>Ophelia in Hamlet is probably pregnant
>Marx was ideological enemies, but drank well, with Bakunin
>Homer may have been a woman
>Homer is said to have been blind, which probably isn't true
>Robert Louis Stevenson hand wrote all 60,000 words of Jekyll and Hyde in one day, and then threw it into a fire
>Flaubert was sentenced to court to defend the messages present in Madame Bovary
>Nietzsche went insane. People blame it on his intelligence, but it was probably hereditary. His father fell mad too.
>Freud's interpretations of people were mainly picked up from poetry of the Old Masters
>Tolstoy didn't see any value in Shakespeare's writing
>>
>>7599741
>>Homer may have been a woman

What
>>
>>7599741
>Robert Louis Stevenson wrote Jekyll and Hyde
Holy shit, I never knew
>>
>>7598988
fuck you we had a thread about this where you had to change one letter and i came up with that joke
>>
>>7599501
Thanks, but I like the Stephen King one best.
>>7599760
I never saw that thread.
>>
>>7599741
>>Harold Bloom would go with his friends out to parks and recite Whitman

How do I get friends like Harold Bloom?
>>
>>7599760
Good memesters samefag,
great memesters... you get the idea.
>>
>>7599776
Be born 85 years ago and go to school
>>
Gunter Grass wasn't a nazi per se, but rather made the logical choice of going along with everything as to avoid personal trouble.
>>
>>7598565

Subtle.
>>
Prior to Anaxagoras coming to Athens c. 464, philosophy proper didn't actually exited at mainland Greece, but only in Ionia (Asia Minor) and Magna Graecia (Italy).
>>
>>7600267
exist*
>>
>>7599516
I didn't say partly.
>>
Hemingway's son gregory died as gloria
>>
>>7598644
>Shakespeare was gay
Sounds like something SJWs would try to push
>>
>>7598265
Holy shit, that's kickass. Any other bolaño facts?
>>
>>7598939
How was he rude?
>>
>>7598946
laffed
>>
>>7598708
No fucking shit
>>
>>7600304
Yes, that's why I mentioned it. The Dante/ Chaucer were exaggerations mocking their reductionism but the rest of what I mentioned are actual things that SJWs parrot. (Their proof is his poetry).
>>
war and peace was originally titled war, what is it good for. it was his mistress who insisted he called it war and peace
>>
John Fowles actually kidnapped and imprisoned a young woman as 'research' for The Collector. They ended up falling in love and getting married.
>>
>>7598230
Gass and Gaddis were best buddies.
>>
>>7598587
That sounds like something like out of At Swim-Two-Birds
>>
>>7600597
Shakespeare loved cock at the very least, so calling him gay isn't so inaccurate.
>>
>>7598230
George Orwell apparently had aspergers.
>>
>>7598378
made me kek 8/10 times
>>
Goethe took place in some battle during the French Revolution, and later had his home invaded by radicals. They got in his face but he stood his ground in what I believe was a pajama robe, and they eventually left when support came.
>>
File: elaine-benes.png (472 KB, 680x467) Image search: [Google]
elaine-benes.png
472 KB, 680x467
>>7600643
>>
Factoids in fact only refer to untrue things that are spread as truths. That is my fact about factoids.
>>
>>7600950
Sadly I think this as well as actual mundane facts would be accepted.
English is pretty dumpster tier.
>>
Boris Pasternak was brought before lenin for execution (charged with spready revolutionary propoganda), and lenin said " bah,let the dreamer live"
>>
>>7598257
Now I know why Victor raddled on for 40+ pages about Marius stalking around the Luxembourg garden.
>>
JK Rowling was once at a store shopping for groceries when in the middle of the canned food aisle dropped down on her haunches and plopped out three coloured, boiled Easter eggs (green, purple, and red). Onlookers were politely curious and stared, much to Rowling's amusement. She began honking like a goose whilst yelling "I AM THE GIVER OF LEMONS!" She then threw one of the eggs at the nearest man (breaking his nose) and crab walked away without paying for her items.
>>
Nikola Tesla made a pleasure machine that he urged his friend Mark Twain to try. Twain climbed up on it and shit his pants blissfully.
>>
>>7601039
I saw JK Rowling at a grocery store in Los Angeles, yesterday. I told her how cool it was to meet her in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother her and ask her for photos or anything.

She said, "Oh, like you're doing now?"

I was taken aback, and all I could say was huh? But she kept cutting me off and going huh? Huh? Huh? And closing her hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard her chuckle as I walked away. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw her walk away with like fifteen candy bars in her hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Madame, you need to pay for those first." At fist she kept pretending to be tired and not to hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, she stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical interference," and then turned around and winked at me. After she scanned each bar and put them in the bag and started to pay the price, she kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
>>
>>7601002
god that part was boring
>>
>>7598230
Houellebecq was invitet to have a talk about Houellebecq-related stuff in a theatre. He arrived around 3-4 hours late thanks to traffic, dozens waiting for him. Then he started smoking, in a theatre prohibiting smoking inside without exceptions. Also he was so drunk, he was babbling all the night long. Disappointment and/or keks were had.
A member of the "audience" at that event is teaching me stuff now.
>>
In the late 50's, Garcia Marquez lived in Mexico City as a dead beat writer wannabe, feeling he had exhausted himself and had nothing else to write. His friend Alvaro Mutis dropped by one day and, laughing hysterically, tossed him a copy of Pedro Paramo. Read that shit and learn, he said. Later, Marquez would take the famous opening sentence for One Hundred Years of Solitude from a passage in PP.
In the early 80's, David Foster Wallace sat talking to his college roommate about Marquez and magical realism in general. He was then a bundle of anxieties, narcodependency and Wittgensteinian preoccupations. An anonymous observer tossed him the following remark: Pynchon's much cooler, an then a copy of The Crying of Lot 49. Wallce would go on to become the one writer to "out- Pynchon Thomas Pynchon" and write Infinite Jest, the only novel to "out-Gravity's Rainbow Gravity's Rainbow".
Talking about a similar case, Borges wrote the following, and one can only assume he would say the same about the present symmetries:
"Confronted with this symmetry, that works with souls of men who write y covers countries and decades, nothing, or very little are, it seems to me, the levitations, resurrections and apparitions of the pious books."
>>
>>7600950
The definition of factoid is a factoid
>>
>>7601059

That grocery store has a never-ending stock of pasta.
>>
>>7602357
is this a new meme
>>
>>7602388
I hope so
>>
>>7602388
btw nice dubs
>>
>>7602397
XD
>>
File: HOT MEMES.png (49 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
HOT MEMES.png
49 KB, 800x400
>>7602397
N E W M E M E
E
W
M
E
M
E
>>
>>7598569
Charles McCarry uses the recognition exchange,
"Trelawney" - "Do you still have Shelley's heart?" in a spy novel where the two spies meeting for the first time must confirm to each other their identities.
>>
The plaque on the house in Italy where Keats died names him as Giovanni Keats.
>>
Maupassant told an obscure reporter that the reason he ate lunch under the Eiffel tower every day was because it was the only place in town where you weren't forced to see the fucking thing.
>>
>>7601029
No kidding.
>>
>>7602824
The McCarry novel in which this takes place is not the McCarry novel Shelley's Heart.
>>
File: 1396266776034.jpg (262 KB, 2000x1559) Image search: [Google]
1396266776034.jpg
262 KB, 2000x1559
>>7599741
>>In the ex-communist Eastern Europe, it was required for university students to be taught the lessons of Das Kapital. It wasn't a requirement for the teachers to understand it. They rarely did.

What is this even supposed to mean? I dont think its true. However it was mandatory practice to educate students (as young as high school) on politics and especially the history of the communist leaders (local and soviet) and the history of the ruling communist party
>>
McCarry's novel The Meirnik Dossier is the only spy novel in which it is never determined whether the main character is a good guy or a bad guy, or even, in fact, a spy at all.
>>
File: IanMcCulloughAsDostoyevsky.jpg (61 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
IanMcCulloughAsDostoyevsky.jpg
61 KB, 620x372
>>7602904
The relative status of a US university's Slavic department can be entirely derived from the nickname the grad students have given The Brothers Karamazov.

Brother's K
K Brothers
Bro Ks
KBros
Brah Ks
KBrahs

>yfw it's actually true
>>
When Frank Sinatra heard that Phillip Dacey had called him a "skinny fuck up" in a poem that would be published in both a literary journal and in its own book, Sinatra got so mad he had a heart attack and died.
>>
>>7602922
>that file name
Looks more like Tolstoy, desu
>>
>>7602944
>shit tier beard
Nah, its dosty
>>
The mysterious "AOI" refrain which appears in extant copies of the Song of Roland is an abbreviation for three medieval Basque words which when translated roughly equate to "Fuck yeah, motherfucker."
>>
Hemmmingway almost certainly died of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy.
>>
John Ashbery doesn't know what they are about either.
>>
File: Eliot.gif (528 KB, 1217x1520) Image search: [Google]
Eliot.gif
528 KB, 1217x1520
The Wasteland was almost called He Do the Police in Different Voices before Pound fixed it.
>>
>>7602942
Frank Sinatra was a piece of shit. He was a good singer I guess though.
>>
>>7603545
Pound was a hell of an editor from what this thread tells me.
>>
>>7598858
i always read about Proust's weird sexual fetishes in biographies but they never go into them

what were they?
>>
>>7598265
Is this actually true or is it just a reference to Savage Detectives? I know the novel was mostly biographical, but I don't know how much of it is true.

>>7598378
Grievously underrated.
>>
File: 1446883160525.jpg (12 KB, 325x229) Image search: [Google]
1446883160525.jpg
12 KB, 325x229
>>7600304
>>7600597
>Someone in theater being gay?
>Preposterous!

Seriously nigga. He wrote love letters to men. Sounds pretty fucking gay to me.
>>
>>7598230
My girlfriend's roommate is a direct descendant of Walt Whitman, my dad kind of looks like Kafka and Darwin had Crohn's disease
>>
>>7598256
Joyce often started fights with people and Hem had to do the actual fighting. Not saying in this case, but maybe.
>>
>>7598644
>Shakespeare was gay
More like bi; as were most great artists. He had to know what it was like to love both genders in order to write great romances.

>Homer was a woman
For all we know about Homie it doesn't seem that far fetched, but I doubt it.

>Dante was an alien
Kek, probably.
>>
Harold Bloom spent his childhood holidays in Mouse Lake Minnesota. Every morning his father would force him to get up before dawn, trek across the frozen ice of Mouse Lake, make a hole in the ice with a pick and dive in.
"This is simply dreadful" thought a Young Bloom, "a Flight to Lucifer would be preferable to this."
And on that day history was changed forever.
>>
>>7598303
"and resulted in the French Revolution" is a bit of a stretch, but neat fact up until then
>>
>>7604239
But Sasha Grey said he started it by having too much nasty sex.
>>
>>7598239
How patronizng of him
>>
Not really about lit but roly polys aren't actually insects but crustaceans
>>
>>7599751
It is some theory by Samuel Johnson. He thought the Odyssey was written by the girl that was washing her clothes in the water when Odysseus came naked.

I read his translation on an ebook in a foreign country and he had a bunch of snarky comments about this little thing being something a woman would write. I kind of believed him at the end.
>>
>>7599516
Every work of fiction is 100% true and all memoirs are complete lies.
>>
File: IMG_20151130_091000.jpg (4 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151130_091000.jpg
4 MB, 2560x1920
>>7603624
He liked men
>>
George r r Martin's middle name is Ricky:
George Ricky Ricky Martin
>>
Novelist Gore Vidal (Creation, The City and the Pilar) claims to have had sex with Jack Kerouac (On the Road) after a night of drinking along with William S Burroughs (Naked Lunch, Junkie). Burroughs allegedly left, disgusted with Kerouac's promiscuous drunken behaviour, and the other two got a hotel room together and had sex. Kerouac writes the complete scene in his novel, The Subterraneans.
>>
>>7604380
Nah it's George "Rock and Roll" Martin
>>
>>7598378
>The Other
>sullying JLB's ageless sublimity with Francophone flavor of the month quackitude

disappointed.
>>
>>7599678
Back to Tumblr.
>>
>>7599254
It was based on his fiance and the girl he was cheating on her with ambushing him at a hotel and having a sit down talk about his infidelity.

Never read the book, but from the responses it seems that most people are missing that the omnipotent adjudicator/s are feminine.
>>
>>7599741
>>Freud's interpretations of people were mainly picked up from poetry of the Old Masters

Sauce? I just read that Luther talked about something like the Oedipus complex.
>>
>>7602204
Can you clean up that quote? I don't understand it.
>>
>>7604299
What I've heard is that The Odyssey was written by a woman because no man would be as foolish as to name a dog "Argos".
>>
dumas wasnt the true author of his novels, and instead was a ghostwriter for Auguste Jules Maquet.
>>
David Foster Wallace committed suicide after being bullied by Charlie Rose, both on the air and off the Charlie Rose Show. Charlie is on the record saying he feels "no significant remorse."
>>
File: nat.jpg (339 KB, 613x877) Image search: [Google]
nat.jpg
339 KB, 613x877
>The Case for Israel is a New York Times bestseller by Alan Dershowitz, a law professor at Harvard University. The author's intention was to respond to common criticisms of Israel.

>The book is divided into several chapters, each of which addresses what Dershowitz identifies as being particularly strong accusations and myths about Israel, such as "Israel is the 'prime' human rights violator in the world" and "Israel is the cause of the Arab–Israeli conflict."

>The political scientist and author Norman Finkelstein has claimed the book is a "hoax" and that some of its citations are plagiarized from From Time Immemorial, a 1984 book by Joan Peters that has been called "ludicrous", "worthless" and a "forgery" by serious scholars.

>After a heated exchange between the two on Democracy Now!, in which Finkelstein repeatedly accused Dershowitz of plagiarism and questioned his credentials to teach at Harvard University, Finkelstein released a book, Beyond Chutzpah: On the Misuse of Anti-Semitism and the Abuse of History, whose second part is about The Case for Israel. The book lists many examples of text that Finkelstein claims Dershowitz to have lifted from Peters.

>In his review of Beyond Chutzpah, echoing Finkelstein's criticisms, Michael Desch, political science professor at University of Notre Dame observed:

>"Not only did Dershowitz improperly present Peters's ideas, he may not even have bothered to read the original sources she used to come up with them. Finkelstein somehow managed to get uncorrected page proofs of The Case for Israel in which Dershowitz appears to direct his research assistant to go to certain pages and notes in Peters's book and place them in his footnotes directly (32, col. 3)."

>Oxford academic Avi Shlaim had also been critical of Dershowitz, saying he believed that the charge of plagiarism "is proved in a manner that would stand up in court."

>Before graduating from Harvard with a psychology degree in June 2003, Natalie Portman was credited – under her given name, Natalie Hershlag – as a research assistant to Alan Dershowitz's 'Case for Israel'.
>>
>>7605013
Literally how can anyone support Palestine. Jews are ten billion times better than Muslims.
>>
>>7604886
I could buy this.
>>
>>7600304
>he hasn't read sonnet 20
>>
>>7605272

Go to >>>/pol/ if you want to be an edgelord.

Israel is a lot of things, both good and bad, but primarily, Israel is the continual reminder that the US are cucks, and that the UN and other international bodies can do almost nothing about transgressions. Israel shits all over the fourth Geneca convention, everyone except Israel agrees that they are acting in violation with international law, yet no one is going to do anything about it.

It' very interesting, and really showcases the hypocrisy in the west. When the Russians annexed Crimea, numerous western political pundits were rabid at what they misconstrued as an unprecedented act in modern world politics, completely oblivious to the fact that Israel has been violating the exact same laws with impunity for the last many decades.

Israel is a lot of things. It's also a great contributor to human progress. They're well-educated and innovative as a people. Personally, I think they could stay like that, even if they didn't have an apartheid system and were commiting genocide in Gaza. In fact, I think Israel would be a lot better off with a two-state solution and without suffering the justified animosity of almost the entire developed world.

When in the 2014 conflict, Hamas killed 66 soldiers and 6 civilians, and the IDF killed 2251 people, with the UN estimate being that 65% of those where civilians, among them 551 children, it rings hollow to call Hamas terrorists and Israel an oasis of human rights and justice in the Middle East. When the Israeli blockade of Gaza prevents medical aid, food and construction supplies from entering Gaza, it's basically genocide.
>>
>>7599007
>Brett Easton Ellis' American Psycho started off as a simple shopping list, but it soon ballooned to 300 pages and turned into the classic novel we all know today.
>>
>>7605310
>genocide
You're not allowed to use that word if you aren't talking about the Holocaust. Have some decency.
>>
>>7604898
My mistake:
"Confronted with this symmetry, which works with souls of men who write and spans over countries and decades, nothing, or very little are, it seems to me, the levitations, resurrections and apparitions of the sacred books."
>>
>>7604117
Deal with him, Hemmingway! Deal with him!
>>
>>7598708
>>7598708
This sounds like something a SJW would say.
>>
>>7605303
>implying heterosexual male friendship in the renaissance wasn't openly affectionate.
>>
>>7599678
What the fuck did you just say about that post, you little bitch? There's really nothing there that should confuse a normal adult person.
>>
>>7604117
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpPsAojqcKo

>deal with him, hemingway! deal with him!
>>
>>7601059
I've never seen this pasta to not work.
>>
>>7605899
>implying people were not actually a lot more gayer back then
>>
>>7598541
I got a collection of his letters as a Christmas present.

>Isn't this the guy you're always reading Anon?
>Y-yeah.

>So how it is?
>Okay I guess...
>>
>>7599741
>Metaphysical poetry has no link to Platonism

uh...

Have you ever read Donne?
>>
File: 1450007406960.jpg (18 KB, 595x635) Image search: [Google]
1450007406960.jpg
18 KB, 595x635
>>7598378
amazing

audible kek
>>
The original meaning of the word "factiod" was something that sounds true but isnt.
>>
The Legacy of Totalitarianism in a Tundra was first published in Australia
>>
>>7598378
>Not Photoshopped to have some humorous knuckle tattoo
>>
File: queneau.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
queneau.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
Russian surrealist writer Sigizmund Krzhizhanovsky insisted he and his wife live in separate apartments on opposite sides of Moscow. He thought it would keep the "spark" alive. Romantic bastard.

There are two novel-length books written without the letter "e": Georges Perec's "La Disparition" and Ernest Vincent Wright's "Gadsby"

Raymond Queneau wrote a book called "Un Cent Mille Milliard de Poemes," which translates to "One Hundred Thousand Billion Poems." He wrote 10 individual fourteen-line sonnets with perfectly identical rhyme schemes. The ending of the fifth line of the first poem had the same rhyming sound as that of the second poem, third poem, etc. Queneau then cut each line into individual strips so that they could be lifted and matched at will. This results in 10^14 individually unique poems. One hundred thousand billion poems. Reading one poem every minute, it would take more than 190 million years to read the book in its entirety.
>>
>>7598556

He drove Andre the Giant to school when he was living in France because Andre couldn't fit on the school bus
>>
>>7598552
Fuck, Joyce had a lot of fetishes, I imagine him writing scat porn if he were alive today.
>>
>>7598961
That's not even a quartet, you illiterate fag.
>>
>>7599468
this is actually legit true
>>
John Scottus' Eriugena's work was dismissed as "Irish porridge" by the Fourth Council of Valence, a reference to Jerome's treatment of Pelagius being "reared on Irish porridge" some centuries earlier.
>>
>>7607886
"Irish porridge" for a short while after became a euphemism for "bullshit" in certain Carolingian theological circles.
>>
bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks
>>
>>7598265
did he also challenge a guy to a duel?
>>
>>7604923
Argos, Ulysses' dog!

God, I wrote that thing like 2000 years ago, good shit
>>
>>7608067
are you Borges' Immortal?
>>
>>7608070
lol thx for getting my sick obscure reference
>>
>>7608083
>one of the most famous borges stories
>"sick obscure"

wew lad
>>
>>7608095
hey, let the guy dream.
>>
>>7608095
It looks to me like you missed the inflection
>>
As many of you know, Dostoevsky was slated to be executed in 1849, and was actually in front of the firing squad when a letter from the Tsar came staying the execution at the last moment.

What you might not have known is that the committee that decided on Dostoevsky's exoneration included Vladmir Nabokov's great grand-uncle General Ivan Nabokov. Strangely enough Nabokov didn't particularily like Dosty, referring to him as "old Dusty" in many of his lectures at Cornell.
>>
>>7604329
Goodness gracious, that is sickening and vile! One hopes he was an exception, at least in the artistic and literary world.
>>
>>7607241
>>7607241
>thought it would keep the "spark" alive.
His mistresses agreed.

> books written without the letter e
I couldn't as much as shitpost without...waaaait, I'm starting to kind of...not suck at this!

>He wrote ten individual fourteen-line sonnets with perfectly identical rhyme schemes.
I would pay money for the One Hundred Thousand Billion Poems app.
Thread replies: 221
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.