[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one become more articulate?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (150 KB, 900x912) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
150 KB, 900x912
How does one become more articulate?
>>
Read philosophy, read theory, read essays
>>
>>7597989
>Read philosophy
>>
>>7597995
>greentext
>>
>>7598002
>dubs
>>
>>7597984
Disagree with your friends just for the hell of it and then try to actually support your contrarian opinion. This will help you learn how to actually express ideas and feelings into words and logic by putting you on the defensive for acting like a hipster dick. As long as no one gets too serious it can be a playful argument.
>>
Practice
>>
>>7598074
You misread OP's question. He isn't asking how to be a douchey faggot.
>>
>>7598097
>muh being well spoken is for privileged people
>>
File: 4ThRnpjh2vFd6k5jGK1hA936.jpg (819 KB, 2120x1450) Image search: [Google]
4ThRnpjh2vFd6k5jGK1hA936.jpg
819 KB, 2120x1450
>>7597984
Articulate more
>>
>>7597984

Literally talk to people
>>
>>7598101
I know a guy who will say something retarded and no matter how wrong you prove him he'll just keep going because he thinks he's intelligent for doing debate in high school. I hate that guy.
>>
Reading is half the battle. Get into arguments on relatively mature forums, debate politics with a level-headed person, learn to reflect upon your own ideas and look at them from someone else's perspective. Being articulate just means having a high level of confidence and familiarity in what you're talking about, or at least being able to fake it.
>>
>>7598129
Fake it till you make it, m8
>>
>>7597989
>read philosophy
>read convoluted writing
>become more articulate
Do you even read philosophy or theory?

Essays tho; OP, read those.
>>
>>7597984
Dominate a subject
>>
>>7597984
Take debating classes, it's the most surefire way to do it if you have the time and effort.
>>
>>7597984
From my experience, reading, writing, watching a movie, absorbing information, trying to regurgitate information in a transformative way, etc.

It's a commitment Anon. When you see a new word, learn what it means and use it in your vernacular.

Not sure how debating comes into this. Perhaps if you're interested in sounding smarter, debate would be the way to go.
>>
>>7598123
ask him if he is a duck. Then debate about that, then you tell him that he debated about something retarded. Then you let it sink in. then he realise he is a retarded duck.
>>
>>7597984
I can think of a few ways.

Read philosophy and tough fiction.

Attempt the Socratic method while debating with others.

Learn to sympathize with others and focus in on where you connect with others. Essentially gain a reader's voice.

Become comfortable unpacking your thought process in front of others, through each and every humiliating step.

Experiment and challenge yourself with trying to explain strange phenomenon.

Memorize vocabulary maybe.

After all of this, learn to minimize. Learn to be brief and concise. Go back to philosophy. Learn rhetoric.

Try writing a piece of fiction and see how others react.

Should be good.
>>
>>7597984
stop listening to stupid people first
>>
>>7598466
>Attempt the Socratic method while debating with others.
This desu. I've been doing this my whole life but it's difficult gaining buddies this way, since you always come out as a pretentious faggot right away.
>>
verbalizing your thoughts with intelligent people really helps, although to be truly articulate you should have a thorough understanding of what you are saying. a lot of people play "mind games" when they are challenged with an honest discussion. think about the intent of what you are saying and understand how it translates to recipient of the convo.

there is nothing worse than someone bullshitting their way through a conversation.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.