[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gimme some opinions. I've got these from Goodwill but don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: cover-ishmael-horz-vert-1.jpg (377 KB, 1055x544) Image search: [Google]
cover-ishmael-horz-vert-1.jpg
377 KB, 1055x544
Gimme some opinions. I've got these from Goodwill but don't want to waste time or space in case they aren't worth reading.
>>
Chuck 'em.
>>
>>7597298
I see what you did there.
>>
The powers that B.
>>
>>7597354
Explain please.
>>
>>7597293
I read the first one in 8th grade and I remember my mind being blown and loving but I can't remember or gage if I'd like it now that I'm older, so idk might be good
>>
>>7597381
Never mind, I was mistaken.
>>
>>7597293
I've only read the first one. It was a very basic, but fundamentally quite intriguing, idea. But, it was explained in a really off way, and could have been much shorter. Simply put, its a man having a long conversation with a talking gorilla, about how humans grow food in order to have more babies and have more babies in order to grow more food.
>>
>>7597583
Sounds enticing. I like to keep sequels in the closet while the books I want read on the shelf, so I'll keep the first one out.
>>
>>7597293
Absolutely loved the first one in high school. Taught me why sending food to Africa was bad lol. Definitely keep that one.
>>
>>7597358
Are running through me
>>
It's not necessary to read the sequels if you've read the first one, they're all generally saying the same thing. Ishmael is definitely worth reading, even if you don't agree with its message, it's an easy read.
>>
>>7597293
I remember being really impressed by these books after a friend let me borrow them in high school. A lot of the material was too vague or too dense for my mind to grasp at the time, and I only understood enough to feel that there was a real, profound message that I was missing. I thought I'd be able to understand it if I were only a little smarter, a little more analytical, but by the time I reached the climax of the third book, I realized that the message was a pretty simple truism and the books were clever frames crafted for the purpose of displaying that truth.

It's been years since I last read them, but I have The Story of B with me so I'm curious to see what I'll take away from it this time.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.