[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Short and good non-fiction
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
I need short and interesting book (max 100 pages), preferably non-fiction. Give me your best recs.
>>
Why short? Are you a pleb?
>>
Brief History of Time
>>
>>7596055
I need something short to alternate.
>>
http://www.victorianweb.org/courses/nonfiction/montaigne/cannibals.html
>>
>>7596061
Thanks. Actually I've already read the complete essays. But I'd love to re-read them one day.
>>
>>7596048

Personally I really like The Road from Mccarthy.

Also:
Siddhartha
Old man and the Sea
The Stranger
>>
>>7596048
Tao te Ching
>>
Martin Biber - I and Thou
>>
>>7596071
liked
>>
everything by henry hazlitt
>>
>>7596075
>thou
Interesting that they went for the archaic form, it's a plain old "du" in German
>>
>>7596476
reddit
>>
Kurt Vonneguts Basic Training and If God Were Alive Today. Two novellas about 90 and 160 pages respectively, sorry they're fiction but great quick reads nonetheless.
>>
>>7596048

Constitution + Declaration of Independence.
Communist Manifesto.
Quotations from Chairman Mao Zedong.
>>7596071 this.
>>
>>7596048
If you're not deadset on nonfiction, you could try an anthology of fables/myths (I've been reading Aesop a few pages a day for weeks now), or the Arabian Nights, one story at a time.

For nonfiction, maybe Plutarch's Lives. Cumulatively they're long, but each life is only given 30-50ish pages.
>>
Heart of a dog
>>
>>7596048

In fiction, if you like horror movies, try The Hellbound Heart (Clive Barker). It's easy to digest the source material for the Hellraiser movies.

Also, there's an obscure little book that none of the other anons seem to know about. :^) It is called the "Tractatus Logico Philosophicus", by Ludwig Wittgenstein. But I would only really recommend it if you have some prior background in math/logic.
>>
>>7596048
future of an illusion
society of the spectacle
birth of tragedy
blue & brown books
>>
>>7596048

Nassim Taleb's The Bed of Procrustes
>>
A Mathematician's Lament
>>
>>7596048

Are you in Australia? If so black publishing released a bunch of books this year (think they're titled 'short blacks') that are short essays by australian writers (helen garner, galurway yunupingu, john birmingham etc.), those are pretty good. Or you could pick up that 'best australian essays 2015 book. If you aren't australian, well who knows, you can go fuck yourself i guess.
>>
>>7596048
Into the War by Italo Calvino is a great non-fiction WWII book that may fulfill your requirements.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.