[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
it's really hard to make children read these days any essential
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: some kids.jpg (46 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
some kids.jpg
46 KB, 600x400
it's really hard to make children read these days

any essential entry level books to make them even interested in reading? I have some old 150pp adventure books but they were written in 1960s and read by my dad before me
>>
>>7595989
>it's really hard to make children read these days

Not really. Kids love to read. Give them Harry Potter or The Hungry Games or anything from which a movie series they like is adapted, and they'll plow through those things like coke lines.

The only kids who don't like to read are legit ADD shits.
>>
File: 200px-Captainunderpantscover.jpg (29 KB, 200x292) Image search: [Google]
200px-Captainunderpantscover.jpg
29 KB, 200x292
>>7595989
this should do it
>>
>>7596013
Could you get them to read The Faerie Queene or maybe Lancelot's adventures as easily?
>>
>>7595989
Depending on how old they are, you could give them some Dr. Seuss stories. Might be too old for them, but there are a few that are quite long. The Lorax was one that I always enjoyed reading when I was a kid.
>>
>>7595989
really anything you just have to make them think it's worth while (aka get them to cockride).
My favorites where:
Everworld series.
House of the Scorpion.
The darren shan series Demonica or something.
There's a shitload.
>>
Why would they sit there reading a book when ipads exist
>>
>>7595989
Great Illustrated Classics, Berenstain Bears, D'Auliaers Myths, Shel Silverstein, and when they are older stuff like Hardy Boys, Redwall, and Dune.

I just got my daughter a kindle i locked it the fuck down that reads epubs, and i read to her twice a day, one picture book and 2-3 chapters from an accessible classic like Treasure Island or Robinson Crusoe

>>7596013
Terrible advise, giving them shitty pop culture books isnt going to make them well read.
>>
File: Wilhelm_Reich.jpg (14 KB, 229x346) Image search: [Google]
Wilhelm_Reich.jpg
14 KB, 229x346
when i have kids im going to read to them bedtime stories from wilhelm reich's:
The Funktion of Orgasming
>>
Beat them
>>
>>7597859
with a phone book?
>>
>>7595989
As a kid, I loved H.G. Wells, Rudyard Kipling and Jules Verne. Give them Around the World in 80 Days or War of the Worlds.
>>
File: 1452029299034.png (11 KB, 1152x648) Image search: [Google]
1452029299034.png
11 KB, 1152x648
>>7597882
I'm reading my kids the phone book when I have them
>>
File: 1452541460340.jpg (328 KB, 2000x2047) Image search: [Google]
1452541460340.jpg
328 KB, 2000x2047
Start them off easy. Build their reading level with material that's easy to swallow and gets their young minds excited and fosters enthusiasm for reading.

Remember, pretentious assholes will shed bitter tiers at seeing your nine year old reading Harry Potter or C.S. Lewis, but that doesn't matter. You're kid can read Blood Meridian and Ulysses when he's got a proper reading comprehension and a mind to wrap around them, but /lit/ will never get off your back on this.
>>
Don't let them watch TV or give em a phone and shit. No vidya either. Give em books instead
>>
File: 1380794307126.jpg (591 KB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
1380794307126.jpg
591 KB, 3008x2000
>>7598203
This is a BIG one. In seventh grade I was a literary vacuum cleaner, all I did was read all damn day long, good material too. And then in eighth grade, my parents got satellite television and I got unlimited access.

My reading didn't pick back up until after graduating high school. Television absolutely destroyed my attention span and ability to stick with a book all the way through, took me far longer than I'd like to admit to get my ability to read a book all the way through back.

I'd get halfway in, put it down, and lose all interest in it and never finish. Fucking pansy, I was. Shame, so much shame.
>>
>no one's posted Bloom's review of Harry Potter
>>
>>7598203

No. It important to have kids read, but they should also get into video games, tv, and youtube, because it's pretty much essential for children to know these things. It's acceptable for an adult to be clueless about these things, but if I child doesn't know these things, he's liable to bullying and alienation.
>>
>>7598220
>>7598653
In my experience vidya actually made me interested in learning how to read better seeing how all the games I played in first and second grade involved reading to understand anything going on.
I never did my homework or paid attention in school, but damn, I probably outpaced every other kid 3 to 1 bookwise. My favorite thing would be asking to read outloud and not knowing where the class was because I was like a hundred pages ahead. Loved the look on the teachers' faces.
>>
>>7598812
being asked to read*
>>
Control what books you give them, dont be a faggot and make them read Tolstoy at 8 but don't let them fall into spirals of YA shit. HP is alright for a kid if he doesnt want to read anything else at all. C.S Lewis is better and so its Tolkien as it's popular and quite sophisticated for genre fiction. Mythology books spawn future patricians and throw them whatever isnt too difficult to read but they might like when after you got their attention.
I as a kid adored and read non stop Robinson Crusoe, effectively memorized it word for word.

Don't allow them to spend all their time in front of the TV, a PC is better but look into what games they want to play and pick ones that have some worth to them.

Don't buy them the newest phone or tablet and what's the single most fucking important step read to them while they are little.
Fucking seriously unless you read to your child until they get good at reading themselves you have no one to blame but yourself if they grow up to be fucktards.
>>
>>7599423
drunk so spelling mistakes up the wazoo but should still make sense
>>
>>7599423
How to make your children hate you: a guide.
>>
>>7598203
Disagree. In the world we live in, cultural literacy requires an understanding of television and video games just as much as it does literature. Just monitor what they watch/play. Who can deny the value of Sesame Street for a child? Plus most games can do a decent job of challenging their reflexes and strategic abilities.
>>
Maybe instead of giving them absolute tripe like Harry Potter or Hunger Games you could give them something actually good? Beowulf, Homer, LotR/The Hobbit? There's a plethora of actually good literature out there that kids can read so they don't need shit.
>>
>>7598812

>"vidya"

You sound like a baby or a mom pandering to a child by saying "veggies." I assume you are a man, so you should speak like one.
>>
the king james version (with guidance)
kenneth grahame
aesop
shakespeare (particularly romeo and juliet, the tempest, and a midsummer night's dream)
edward lear
tolkien, beginning with the hobbit
>>
Fables from all cultures.
>>
>>7599691
any good collections of this?
>>
>ctrl f unfortunate
>no results

A series of unfortunate events. Spaced out in, what, 13 books? but in fact they're all short and easy to read. Being spaced in many is good because you get the sense of achievement of reading an entire book in a shorter while. It's good, and filled with literary references the kid will later recognize if they keep reading.
>>
>>7599743
Yes. They are not hard to find.
>>
>>7599759
well is there a particular one you can recommend?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.