[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2
File: wimpykid.jpg (29 KB, 274x400) Image search: [Google]
wimpykid.jpg
29 KB, 274x400
What does /lit/ think of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series?
>>
>>7595349
I personally enjoy it a lot, have yet to read Old School.
>>
Last one I read was Rockrick Rules. It was pretty good.
>>
>>7595349
I read the first two and liked them. Quality YA.
>>
>>7595349
>people will ask us why we don't want redditors coming here
>>
>>7595349
its a comic book for children

>>>/b/
>>
>>7595500
It's a novel. OP's picture even says so.
>>
God-tier elementary school reading
>>
>>7595464
>>7595466
>>7595481
>>7595797

Get the fuck out
>>
>>7595790
>comic books can't be called novels

lmao I've actually bothered to read a few of these pieces of shit. It's a glorified comic book. For children.
>>
>>7595820
If it's shit why is it a bestseller?
>>
>>7595943
lol
>>
everyone report this shit.

GET THE FUCK OUT REDDIT
>>
I loved it when I read it last year
>>
>>7595349
My kid sister reads these, and when I was home over Christmas I read the first one and the latest one. My major problem wasn't with the writing, because I got a couple giggles out of it, but the characters. 46 books in, Greg's still a dickhead, Rowley's still a weenie.
>>
About to marathon the latest book, wish me luck /lit/.
>>
>>7598576
Quit bumping this shite thread.
SAGED
>>
I honestly can't tell what it is?
Pictures are low quality,only conveying the most necessary information.But just enough to kill imagiantion.
The text is short,bare bones.
I have read one,but I forgot what it was about.
Like with most YA/kid literature.
but my little sister likes them.
>>
File: 1452693809994.jpg (299 KB, 1342x571) Image search: [Google]
1452693809994.jpg
299 KB, 1342x571
>>7595349
>>
>>7598614
But Diary of a Wimpy Kid is patrician. Hell, it won the Blue Peter Book Award 2012. Not many other books can claim that.
>>
>>7598733
I don't think that is a real award.
>>
>>7598740
It's a British youth association, has a program on the BBC
>>
>>7598752
I don't think that is a real network.
>>
>>7598752
What's BBC? Big black cock? Lol.
>>
Kill yourself with this post
>>
>>7598900
Fuck off back to /tv/
>>
>>7598903
>hating on Diary of a Wimpy Kid
>>
>muh superiority complex: The thread
>>
Never read it, and I don't intend to. I imagine this shit is on the level of garbage that Harry Potter is.

Better question is why do adults think Harry Potter is above shit or take some sort of weird pride in reading it?
>>
>>7599940
Harry Potter's writing style is actually really well done. It's very easy to read and engaging. The language Rowling uses flows extremely well.
That said, it's far from perfect. The story and characters do suffer from a lot of flaws, but the writing-style itself is very readable.
>>
>>7599959

It's easy to read because it's made for retards by a woman.
>>
>>7599940
Are there adults that actually like it for anything other than nostalgia factor?
It's a good kids books
>>
>>7599973
Don't be stupid. There's a difference between patronizingly simple writing and writing that actually flows.
>>
>>7599940

Are Harry Potter nerds really worse than Star Wars nerds, Star Trek nerds, anime nerds, comic book nerds, D&D nerds, bronies, or furries?
>>
>>7599977
Depending on the fandom.

Star Wars nerds
Yes
Star Trek
Yes
anime nerds
No comic
book nerds
No
D&D nerds
Yes
bronies or furries
No
>>
>>7599977
>>7599984
>Stop liking what I don't like!
>>
>>7599998
>I'm a brony and you just hurt my feelings
>>
>>7599959
The prose is aimed at a children's demographic. By that logic, Thomas the Tank Engine is a classic of our time.
>>
>>7600066
>I'll just call him a bronie. That will make my idiocy unnoticed!
>>
>>7600068
What? That logic makes no sense. Harry Potter appeals to everyone because its characters' conflicts and personalities are relatable and its writing style and sentence flow is enjoyable.
You guys aren't getting that easy =/= childish. You have more adult-themed books like Moby Dick with a writing style that's dry as all hell, then you have books with a style that actually flows and is readable like Way of Kings. Not to say one is better than the other, but the more readable style will appeal to more people.
>>
>this thread
Zoo wee mama!

Bad by literary standards obviously but there were some real top keks.
>>
>>7600257
This is more accurate than anything else.
Virtually no character development. Characters weren't too terribly deep, either. Plots were generally Greg getting shat on and learning nothing. But God there was some great humor.
>>
>>7599984

the point was that 90% of 4chan belongs to at least one of those categories, which makes /lit/'s butthurt over YA silly

90% of this website is manchildren, why can't /lit/ embrace that?
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.