[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone read 120 days of Sodom? Is it worth the read beyond
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 9
File: 2c816-juliette_sade_dutch.jpg (169 KB, 490x824) Image search: [Google]
2c816-juliette_sade_dutch.jpg
169 KB, 490x824
Has anyone read 120 days of Sodom? Is it worth the read beyond the visceral affectations?
>>
>>7594541
i jerked off to it
>>
>>7594541
Too many people read this one as an introductory.
I hear you should start with one of his others
What was the one called.. Philosophy in the Bedroom, I think.
>>
>>7594551
Yeah that's one of his. I'll look into it, although, I don't quite understand the necessity. Could you elaborate on your point?
>>
I skimmed through it. Its not good literature but its interesting as a time piece
>>
>>7594541
It's shit and unfinished and Sade's worst work. People gravitate towards it because of the edgy name I think.

>>7594551
Yes, Phil in the Bedroom is good. (The New) Justine as well. Juliette is just more like Justine but with a bad bitch instead of an innocent girl as the main character.
>>
File: sadie.png (41 KB, 227x246) Image search: [Google]
sadie.png
41 KB, 227x246
>>7594554
Philosophy in the Bedroom has a lot of philosophical discussion and some sex, but gives a good idea of the views Sade gives his libertine characters. It's written as a play and it's his tamest work, but serves well as an introduction to his ideas. It's also his most republican work and contains a pamphlet about how the new French republic isn't truly free unless France liberates itself from dated sexual mores as well et cetera, going into publically kept brothels and all kinds of fun ideas about contraception and sexual education and so on. It's relatively short and his most 'progressive' and accessible work while also being raunchy and funny enough to keep you entertained.

Justine and Juliette are novels with a lot of debauchery but also a lot of philosophical talk. They're kind of like a mix of hardcore smut and tongue in cheek Socratic dialogue. Perhaps even more fun too read, but a bit lengthy and repetitive and therefore possibly not the best introduction.

120 Days is almost all filth with little of the sophism behind it that makes Sade special. It's his most boring work.
>>
>>7594554
Now that I recall, it's an unfinished piece and it escalates into getting off to murder.
I think he wrote it in prison. Likely working through some anger issues over this.

I never liked DBSM. Master slave fantasies disgust me.
>>
>>7594576
Most of Sade involves snuff though. There's this part in Justine where an old doctor makes an incision in the belly of his pregnant (with his own child I believe) daughter and fucks her in the uterus through the wound until she dies, for example.
>>
>>7594575
Insightful, thanks, if I end up picking up anything from Sade it'll be with your comment in mind.
>>
File: Free Love.png (246 KB, 500x363) Image search: [Google]
Free Love.png
246 KB, 500x363
>>7594575
>a pamphlet about how the new French republic isn't truly free unless France liberates itself from dated sexual mores as well
Agreed

>>7594585
...but ghech
>>
>>7594657
You're welcome. His wiki is also worth reading/skimming, he had an interesting life in a very interesting time.

Started out as a decadent libertine aristocrat (raised by his priest uncle in a castle, who had a mistress and plenty of dirty books) but also apparently fearless warrior before the revolution, got locked up in the Bastille to be killed but was freed again, ended up working on the side of the revolution as a far leftist and finally got his ass locked up in a madhouse by Napoleon for the rest of his life for writing dirty books. Where he wrote plays for all the crazy people to perform to keep himself busy.
>>
File: AzhhAfq.jpg (51 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
AzhhAfq.jpg
51 KB, 600x600
>>7594677
The absolute madman.
>>
>>7594676
If you'd ever read Sade you'd probably like Philosophy in the Bedroom the most, it has little to no child rape depending on your definitions and almost nobody dies.

There's actually something emancipatory to the whole book with teaching girls what their clit is and how to use it for their own pleasure and how to use their sexuality to their own benefit and such. My copy is actually subtitled 'for the education of young girls'.
>>
>>7594683
Damn right, he even managed to get a 14 year old qt gf on the sly while locked up when he was about 70.
>>
holy shit splika just got fucking btfo by wilder god damn hes like comatose
>>
I read it and thought it was hilarious. Even the lists of different passions are entertaining.

"l'un des grands plaisirs de Durcet est de se faire chatouiller l'anus par le membre énorme du duc."

"Au milieu de cela s'offrait, sans qu'on eût la peine d'écarter, un orifice immense dont le diamètre énorme, l'odeur et la couleur le faisaient plutôt ressembler à une lunette de commodités qu'au trou d'un cul; et pour comble d'appas, il entrait dans les petites habitudes de ce pourceau de Sodome de laisser toujours cette partie-là dans un tel état de malpropreté qu'on y voyait sans cesse autour un bourrelet de deux pouces d'épaisseur."
>>
>>7594676
>>7594576

Here we have once again the useful idiot, and of all things, an anarchist, embarrassing itself again. Its polite bourgeois sensibilities match the pretense of its tripcode; let's have freedom, but NOT REALLY. It has never in its entire life taken to the meaning of the concept of freedom itself to a logical conclusion, because as Woman, it is incapable.

To the dungeon with it.
>>
>>7594736
I supplied what I knew until someone more knowledgeable came along. I aired my opinions. We had a sensible polite conversation till you threw your freedom of ass-hatery in the ring.

You'll never understand.
>dungeon
I'm freer than you'll ever be.
>>
>>7594689
>with teaching girls what their clit is and how to use it for their own pleasure and how to use their sexuality to their own benefit and such
how is this emancipatory?
>>
>>7594541
I've read it. Honestly, DeSade was a good philosopher. His whole point is that everyone gets accepted in heaven.
>>
Absolute garbage.
>>
Nothing Sade wrote is particularly interesting. It just got into people's memory because it's edgy. It was historically significant in the way it was edgy, but nonetheless...
>>
>>7594541
Yes it's worth reading in my opinion but keep in mind it's not complete. I found Justine more enjoyable and so did my dick.
>>
File: 1362942990873.jpg (24 KB, 369x349) Image search: [Google]
1362942990873.jpg
24 KB, 369x349
>>7594551
>>7594576
>>7594676
>>7594768

Butters? When did you come back?
>>
>>7595025
Flat out telling women they should live for their own pleasure and use their sexuality to get what they want at the expense of others while making sure they don't get pregnant has been controversial at times.
>>
>>7595147
apparently it's an impostor

i knew it was too good to be true
>>
>>7594541
I liked the gay, rape and incest in the 120 days of sodomy books
>>
File: 1369805159552.png (1023 KB, 578x788) Image search: [Google]
1369805159552.png
1023 KB, 578x788
Yes, bump, I wanted to talk about this book.
>>
>>7594541
Philosophical question:
Who's the gayest one in that picture?
>>
The one thing I don't understand is: What was Sade trying to accomplish with this book?

Did he wanted to turn as many people to libertines or was he making a criticism of those with power and money?
>>
I enjoyed the parts with the fart-play. The shit parts just made me laugh.
>>
File: nc2s5wl1ns1tcxm2ro1_1280.jpg (111 KB, 777x466) Image search: [Google]
nc2s5wl1ns1tcxm2ro1_1280.jpg
111 KB, 777x466
>>7594541
The last chapters aren't as detailed as Sade would have liked it. I think most of his work went to the fire when they were discovered, among them were probably the said chapters. So you may end up frustrated, as I did, because he keeps saying in the book that the four friends does terrible things to their captives but he won't describe it to not spoil the last chapters (which are not completed).
If I recall correctly, the book is about the four friends fucking mostly the boys while getting fucked by the "fouteurs" (roughly fuckers in french), all the while blaming and bullying the girls because they're not as enjoyable as the little boys. They enjoy making the girls fart too.

All in all, you should read Justine (the last books as it is the most complete one), his reflexions are much more interesting and you don't have gay bondage sex every line.
>>
>>7594576
>I never liked DBSM. Master slave fantasies disgust me.
You suck.
>>
>>7597057
I suppose he wrote the book out of frustration and to jerk off. He was downright evil and spent most of his life in prison, not being able to torture and rape as much as he wanted.
>>
>>7597044
guy who's taking and not giving
>>
>>7597057
I'm inclined to take it as satire. It's too obviously wrought with genius to say that this is simply the product of derangement.
>>
>>7594677

> His wiki is also worth reading/skimming, he had an interesting life in a very interesting time.

Agreed. I always get a perverse delight from reading his bio, especially when remembering all the idiotic third-wave feminists I've met who celebrate his work as an expression of "free love," etc. — even though Sade was, by all accounts, a sadistic rapist.

They'll screen and cry and call you shitlord if you mention you like "Chinatown" or "Annie Hall," then coo in an oh-so-edgy way about the BDSM of "Sodom."

Fucking deplorable, the lot of them.
>>
>>7594551
i havent been around for a while

is this the actual butterfly

i thought she planned to leave around september-ish

did she come back

did she write that novel
>>
Pretty much everything Sade wrote was a declaration that he loved shit and buttholes and murder, and he built a really shaky philosophy around those three things.
>>
>>7597126
De Sade is one of the few genuinely "misogynistic" classic writers, yet they love the guy.
>>
Read the whole thing, it's tiresome and repetitive, not worth reading.
>>
File: 120dayz.jpg (369 KB, 1000x776) Image search: [Google]
120dayz.jpg
369 KB, 1000x776
>>
File: desade.jpg (52 KB, 366x488) Image search: [Google]
desade.jpg
52 KB, 366x488
>>
>>7597231
More accurately, that would be a seven year old boy.
>>
>>7597180
whats shaky about it
>>
>>7597255
It's based on the naturalistic fallacy, coupled with emotionalism and appeals to bad history and anecdotes. It's not philosophy at all really. It's reddit-tier.
>>
>>7597205
>Read the whole thing
>it's not worth reading.
hmmm
>>
>>7597266
That goes for any form of normative ethics though. Besides, Sade never put forth a philosophy himself but let over the top libertine characters spout sophisms to influence little girls.
>>
>>7597266
The morals and philosophy are decent but very obvious. The morality at the end of Justine was very obvious and didn't really add anything new but it was surprising to me that DeSade even claimed to have a philosophy as he is portrayed as an unremorseful libertine.
>>
>>7597519
He's saying that he already read it and he feels it's not worth reading.
I was confused for a second too.
Read (reed) vs. Read (red)
>>
>>7597153
>she
>>
bump for the best thread
>>
Is Justine mentionned in Juliette?
>>
>>7597266
nice 4 minute reply autist
>>
>>7595137
No, I think he set about writing the most profane book ever and achieved it. Guy didn't even have internet access.
>>
the equivalent of gore threads.

read by edgy outcast teens who won't read anything else in their life and describe normal people as "stupid".
>>
did de Sade do any sort of fucked up shit like he wrote about in his works?
i know that he abused only some prosts, but was there anything like the orgies in the castle from 120 days of sodom?
>>
>>7599433
you must be seriously edgy for not giving a book a chance, because you treat its content as everything it has to offer
>>
It's OK. The only interesting part are the records of crimes at the end.

>>7599451
Not bloody likely! He wrote such extreme things to mock the Victorian idealism of the times regarding sexuality.
>>
>>7599482
You're a female
>>
i wish he finished parts 2-4
:(
>>
>>7599451
He was a remarkable kid. Apparently he was a playmate of the prince, who was six when de Sade was four, and even though he was younger he still commanded the prince around like a dog.

He also got a girl who lived in a monastery to run away with him, writing a letter to her father telling her that she was now 'owned' by de Sade.
>>
>>7594541
This is one of the weird instances in which the adaptation is actually better than the original. I mean, if you're going to read something as visceral and, dare I say, as edgy as 120 Days of Sodom, you might as well watch the movie first, which is enhanced by visual imagery.

The book isn't really that good, and like many anons have said, Philosophy in the Bedroom is better.
>>
>>7594709
hurr look at me i know some french
>>
>>7599482
>Victorian idealism of the times
>19th century english shit
>in 18th century france

are you mental, m8? sade lived at the height of degeneracy. a lot of the shit he wrote around wasn't just made up, royals at the time were really morally bankrupt at the time.
>>
>>7601231
*aristocrats desu
>>
>>7597180
why is it shaky

surely the shitty butthole murder philosophy is the best one
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.