[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Robots
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: robot-reading-a-book.jpg (32 KB, 354x266) Image search: [Google]
robot-reading-a-book.jpg
32 KB, 354x266
Hey guys, I hope I'm posting according to /lit/ protocoll.

Lately I really would like to read some science fiction about robots AI and them taking over earth. Something on a bigger scale.
Any suggestions? What should I stay away from?

Fiction, science, research papers, everything is ok.
>>
Asimov would be a good start
>>
Dune prequels
>>
>>7593940

I've yet to read it myself, but Superintelligence is definitely one of my must-reads within the next couple months. From what I understand, it's a philosophical/scientific look at the ramifications of AI in the real world. Would check it out, OP. (Or at least wait for the paperback in May)
>>
>>7594198
That book got a "meh" from me - it boils down to AIs are potentially smarter than us so they can potentially fuck with us in more ways than we can imagine, so we'll potentially be unprepared, repeated ad nauseam

It got more push from the Silicon Valley AI-doom idiots than it deserved, Thiel and Musk were copy-pasting this book's arguments and no-one called them out of it because technology press is sucking Silicon Valley's dick
>>
Blood Music - not really robots but otherwise close enough

A Fire Upon the Deep isn't really about taking over the Earth but it does contain godlike AIs throwing their weight around. It's more of a space opera though.

not /lit/ but honestly while it's not a great film I think Transcendence gave the idea of AI and transhumanism the most mature treatment it's had in film for a very long time.
>>
>>7594239
>>7594206
>>7594198
Thanks guys.
Don't laugh but I figured I want to read something in that direction because recently I saw Animatrix again. Really like that bit about how the machines went to a gruesome war with the humans. But if you have seen it the whole story unfolds like a 10 year old would tell it. Still, the images are good.

>>7593949
Really?

>>7593943
The obvious choice
>>
>>7595230
The Ware Tetralogy by Rudy Rucker is about a robot/human war. They aren't the best books but they're pretty fun.
>>
>>7593949
>>7595230
i mean it's exactly what OP is asking for, so in that sense, yes.

but they're not great books and are really bad if you like the original dune series.

they're not particularly illuminating conceptually either, and more of just a very standard usage of the idea/fear of robot/ai takeover with your run of the mill action sci fi PLOT TWIST epic space warfare cliches.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.