[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any books where the characters fart? Or shit? Brush
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
Are there any books where the characters fart? Or shit? Brush their teeth? I feel like very often in books/movies the normal every day behavior stuff is skipped entirely. I realize it might be gratuitous but there's a lot of gratuitous stuff in books.

>inb4 diarrhea dany
>>
There are plenty.
>>
It often happens but I don't care if it doesn't. I prefer it does't. I want to read a thrilling book, not a transcription of someone's boring life.
>>
on Ulysses you can find the most poignant accounts of people shaving, shitting, swallowing food, walking, and countless other minute daily activities
>>
>>7593226
Diarrhea Dany
>>
Bukowski
>>
>>7593226
A Portrait of the Artist
Tropic of Cancer
Suttree
Slaughterhouse Five
Rabelais and Chaucer it's about 90 percent of what they wrote about
>>
DFW wrote a story that revolves around a guy who can shape his turds in his butthole and so but he poops out works of art.
>>
>>7593226
A day in the life - The Beatles
>>
OP there are slightly related things in the humanities that talk about stuff like this, the suppression of the "incidental" in relation to the "consequential" aspects of experience or history or stories or narratives or whatever

unsurprisingly has political dimensions, sometimes in surprisingly deep ways

the history of every day life is an interesting thing to look at

also foucault's archaeological method / archaeology
>>
>>7593588
really gay post
>>
De Sade
>>
>>7593233
>thrilling
>boring life

i know what you mean, my friend! in fact, if you'd like more wonderful recommendations and discussion, please join our community at

>>>r/books
>>
>>7593591
i agree

but OP i think you have hit on an interesting perspective and that you should develop it by seeing what else has been said on the topic

it might take some digging but your nagging suspicion that there is something to movies/books/narratives eliding "gratuitous" detail is definitely interesting
>>
>>7593550
This is a lie, disregard it.
>>
>>7593226
Bukowski
>>
knausgaard's my struggle is literally this and nothing but this

also ulysses
>>
Ulysses
>>
>>7593226
Daniel Nester did an essay about this in his book How To Be Inappropriate.

It was actually pretty interesting.
>>
Belgian writer Herman Brusselmans has characters jack of while going to the bathroom in the middle of a meeting, i don't know if that is what you're looking for though
>>
Swift felt novels glossed over bodily functions, so a large portion of Gulliver's Travels revolves around the titular character finding a place to shit in all these fantastic lands he finds himself in.
>>
>>7595073
There's a lot of amazing misanthropy and disgust of humanity in Gulliver's Travels, like the descriptions of the disgusting details of the giants' bodies in Brobdingnag or the horses' bodies, the bodily functions of Gulliver fit into that
>>
There's quite a bit of farting in Infinite Jest.
>>
>>7593226
try the film jeanne dielman, 23 quai du commerce, bruxelles
>>
>>7593597
came here to post this
>>
>>7593496
>Slaughterhouse Five
I'm shitting my brains out!

All Quiet on the Western Front describes the soldiers having a jolly time pooping together. It addresses how the sense of privacy gets lost and they just feel camaraderie. If they ingest together why not excrete together?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzXPyCY7jbs
>>
Gravity's Rainbow
>>
Tai Pei by Tao Lin has a lot of menial stuff about normal human function. And it's really short.
>>
>>7593283
>>7593226
>be me
>have heard of GOT but never got into it
>browse /lit/, stumble upon the diarrhea pasta
>it's funny
>start to read GoT
>realize I don't know when the pasta takes place or who is in it (nowhere does it say "dany shat")
>decide I don't want to know yet
> want to discover this glorious paragraph in it's natural habitat, the book
>wonder how each woman in GoT could end up shitting by a lake's shore
>some anon makes this thread and has to tell me it's dany

I know you had no way of knowing but fuck
>>
>>7593591
So this is post-reddit /lit/
Jesus Christ.
>>
Not trying to meme but infinite jest has plenty of it
>>
>>7593226
All Quiet on the Western Front
>>
>>7593226
I can recommend a few books by this guy named McCarthy where people spit all the time.
>>
>>7596069
I was about to mention this. Several central moments in character development happen while the young men are together shitting in a open field in my memory is correct.
>>
Literally the entire meme trilogy desu
>>
File: india-open-defacation.jpg (365 KB, 1200x749) Image search: [Google]
india-open-defacation.jpg
365 KB, 1200x749
Look up indian literature.

Some of the best passages of hindu lit happen in the designated shitting streets.

Forget soirees.
>>
>>7593588
I'd rather think it is related to an author struggling to keep the reader's attention. Scenes about people doing daily atomic activities are only productive if they are used as a manner to exemplify character development.

Per example: go to the bathroom and realize the shower has been turned on even when main character only uses cold to spare energy. Main character realizes it is a metaphore for the gap between him and the person who has used his bathroom as the warm water only burns the protagonist. It can also be a metaphore for the possibility of sharing physical and personal space with another individual.

Nothing like pooping with two more buddies in a shitting street to realize how little the body matters when we are not trying to hide it.
>>
File: 20160118_003233.jpg (218 KB, 561x996) Image search: [Google]
20160118_003233.jpg
218 KB, 561x996
>>7593226
As early as page four of Filth.
>>
>>7593226
my diary desu
>>
>>7593226
Teipei does this.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.