[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which War and Peace translation is the best and why
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: img_3156.jpg (93 KB, 599x449) Image search: [Google]
img_3156.jpg
93 KB, 599x449
Which War and Peace translation is the best and why
>>
>>7593124

Maude because it was personally approved by Tolstoy.

Sage, the thread is over now. This is the answer.
>>
>>7593130
This to be honest.

But what edition is best?

Everyman's.
>>
translated Russian books = Pevear

Can we end these threads now?
>>
>>7593144
Nice meme
>>
>>7593130

The Maudes are always a good choice for Tolstoy. Ann Dunnigan's translation of W&P is also well regarded.
>>
>>7593144
>Buying into the hype
P&V is shit
>>
>>7593144
>>7593151

They're actually great for Gogol.

The more you know.
>>
Mawwwwwde
>>
>>7593172
I agree with that.
>>
>>7593144
>Pevear
Always seems necessary to have it mentioned early in these discussions, before getting to more knowledgeable answers (although a bit late this time).
>>
Who's the best translator for Chekhov?
>>
>>7593194
Garnett
>>
>>7593124
I actually really prefer the Briggs, pictured there second from the top.

He actually manages to find different diction for every social register. It's easy to distinguish the more natural nobility from the insecure upper monied-class characters, for instance. It's a nice touch and the whole thing overall felt very readable without being too informal or colloquial.
>>
>>7593124
>>7593144
>>7593130
>>7593194
>reading translations
tip top kek
>>
>>7593262
>Briggs

So does he actually drop the f-bomb in his translation of W&P? It was mentioned in a thread the other day.
>>
Moderators please close this thread
>>
>>7593262
This. Anthony Briggs for war and peace. Though, I would like to get a look at the revised Maude's translation. Also, I read Anna Karenina by p&v and honestly, it wasn't that bad. If I reread it I'll go for Bartlett's or Schwartz though.
>>
>>7593124
I enjoy the Dunnigan

>>7593144
P&V is shit

>>7593172
P&V Gogol is especially shit.
>>
Also op of that is your picture, you should read a chapter from each and see what you like best. Maybe you'll have your own opinion.
>>
>>7593420
seconded. pevear and volokhonsky are incompetent.
>>
>>7593124
>>7593157
This was the consensus from the translation thread earlier in the week. It sounds like the Maudes' translation is the safest bet, and the only one which had Tolstoy's approval. Others have consistently cited Dunnigan's and Briggs' translations as worthy alternatives.
>>
>>7593124
In the time you'll waste debating which translation is the best, you could learn russian and read it in the original. And still you won't have reached a consensus.
>>
>>7593481
LEARN RUSSIAN IN 20 MINUTES WITH THIS ONE SIMPLE TRICK; TRANSLATORS HATE HIM
>>
>>7593275
end your life please
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.