[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think about about the following books? 1) Dune
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: scifi_1a.jpg (140 KB, 670x504) Image search: [Google]
scifi_1a.jpg
140 KB, 670x504
What does /lit/ think about about the following books?

1) Dune
2) The Book of the New Sun
3) The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
4) The Thought Reader
5) The Dispossessed
6) Hyperion
7) Neuromancer
8) The Stars My Destination
9) The Man In High Castle
10) Use if Weapon
11) The Foundation Trilogy
12) 2001: A Space Odyssey
13) The Forever War
14) Red Mars
15) Brave New World
>>
>>7593051
Please, stop the shiteposting.
>>
>>7595211
Bitch, have you even read a book?
>>
>>7595215
Yes, but all these "Ready Player One, Neil Gaiman XDD" threads are obvious bait and not even funny.
>>
>>7593051
>1) Dune
I read it in early hs and don't remember almost anything about it
>2) The Book of the New Sun
One of my favorite novels, it's fantastic
>3) The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
Shit prose and characters
>4) The Thought Reade
Didn't read
>5) The Dispossessed
It's good
>6) Hyperion
It's good
>7) Neuromancer
Mediocre 80s action movie
>8) The Stars My Destination
It's mediocre
>9) The Man In High Castle
Loved it
>10) Use if Weapon
Reddit
>11) The Foundation Trilogy
Didn't read
>12) 2001: A Space Odyssey
Didn't read
>13) The Forever War
Didn't read
>14) Red Mars
Didn't read
>15) Brave New World
Not a great book but spooky because it's true
>>
>>7595218
Why the fuck do you think it's a bait? lol Seems like you're dicks for brains.
>>
>>7595219
>>10) Use if Weapon
>Reddit
KILL YOURSELF.
>>
File: 1444467777013.jpg (86 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
1444467777013.jpg
86 KB, 612x612
>>7593051

I enjoyed most of the books I've read out of that list, especially BotNS and The Dispossessed.
>>
>>7593051
>Dune
very good, you need to read through god emperor + some background info on the world to appreciate it though. it's lackluster on its own. chapterhouse/heretics are optional. stay away from his son's stuff.

>Book of the New Sun
excellent, pretty loved here on /lit/. very subtle though, needs careful reading for details to understand what's going on.

>the moon is a harsh mistress
good, probably heinlein's best work.

>thought reader
never even heard of it

>the dispossessed
good, but a bit drab. other leguin, hainish cycle or not, tends to be better, like left hand of darkness for example.

>hyperion
fantastic, very enthralling. read it and fall of hyperion, then wait a few years before reading endymion and rise of endymion (or just skip altogether)

>neuromancer
i can appreciate why it's good, but it didn't age well. writing is a bit subpar as well, but has a certain charm and visceral quality to it.

>the stars my destination
similar as neuromancer - didn't age well. decent early sci fi but probably won't blow you away.

>the man in the high castle
quite good. a bit of a weird book in dick's oeuvre, but in a good way.

>use if weapon
assuming you mean use of weapons - good, but not the best of the culture series. the whole series is decent enough though.

>the foundation trilogy
very good, and foundational for modern sci fi. writing not the strong point here but you're reading it for the ideas anyways

>2001 a space odyssey
it's nto bad but i think it's overrated. not clarke's finest. stuff like childhood's end and rendezvous with rama are superior. stay far away from the sequels/anything coauthored.

>the forever war
haven't read

>red mars
haven't read

>brave new world
it's fine. nothing special either way but worth a read for how often discussed it is these days if that's important to you.
>>
>>7595219
Since when is The Culture series Reditt tier? Think before you post, dumbass.
>>
>>7595218
He didn't even ask about them ya pleb
>>
>>7593051
The only ones of those I've read were Dune, Foundation and 2001, and those were all in my early teens or pre-teens., so sadly I can't really remember. Except for the fact that Dune has a really annoying
>character thinking in italics
thing running through it.
>>
I felt like New Sun series was pretentious. Maybe I'm a tard and didn't get the deep meaning but the whole thing felt disjointed with a bunch of purple prose. Some of it was nice but still. Disappointed.
>>
>>7595266
not trying to be demeaning but you definitely didn't "get" it. and i don't mean this in some vague pretentious deeper message/artistic intent/philosophical theme/etc. way, i mean there's actually an underlying -thing- that you most likely missed, since it is, as i said, subtle.
>>
>>7595272
What did I miss? The underlying thing.
>>
>>7595283
realise that you're a pleb and read it again
>>
>>7595272
The series is set in the future and not in the past/some fantasy medieval world. The language is, as explicitly pointed out, a "translation" of a text to give it the same sense of archaicness as Latin would give us. The "purple" prose is Severian's inability to accurately describe what he witnesses.
>>
>>7595283
Well it has a number of relevant themes, one being determinism and free will, it had a very moving conversion story, a meta narrative about myth and truth in line with Everlasting man, it dealt with fragility of memory and perspective, Severian was also a well written protagonist. Language wasn't purple imo I absolutely loved the writing, but I can see why you disliked it. It has a very high number of biblical parallels and parallels to other novels such as Moby Dick and In Search of Lost Time which were fun to notice.
It felt disjointed because it's highly rooted in a perspective of a person who doesn't understand what's going on as much as you and often seeks to hide information about himself because he feels shame for example.
>>
Bumping for interest.

What some of the Jesus, Plato, Aristotle, of the sci-fi?
>>
>>7595766
Rephrase your question. Right now it doesn't make sense.
>>
>>7595287

all genre-fiction including the New Sun series is pleb you idiot
>>
>>7595879
There is no such thing as genre fiction. True pleb is dividing books to genre and literary fiction. There are bad fantasy books and good fantasy books. Bad ones are say Name of the Wind and Ready Player One, good ones Man who was Thursday, Fictions and Book of the New Sun.
>>
>Dune
Very good. A favorite between the ages of 10 and 20
>Book of the New Sun
A particular favorite. Introduced me to the beauty of prose and led me to Borges and Nabakov and Faulkner and all the delights of real literature.
>Moon is a Harsh Mistress
Awful. I've tried all 3 of Heinlein's "best", which is to say this, Stranger in a Strange Land and Starship Troopers, and I can only conclude that Heinlein is terrible.
> The Thought Reader
Haven't read it
> The Dispossessed
Very good.
> Hyperion
Very, very good. Wish I could recommend it more but it's all set up and the payoff in Fall is a let down, though still good.
> Neuromancer
Love it. Prose can try so hard that it becomes muddled, but usually works brilliantly.
> The Stars My Destination
Phenomenal. Perhaps the greatest opening line ever. After the annoying introduction anyway.
> Man in the High Castle
Fantastic. Dick's second best. Scanner Darkly is better because it's more personal, more heartfelt. But High Castle is his greatest intellectual work.
> Use if Weapon
I suspect a type? Regardless, haven't read it.
> Foundation Trilogy
A favorite in high school. A little scared to reread it as it probably won't measure up to my memory of it. Second only to End of Eternity when it comes to Asimov
>2001
Very good. Read it on a flight which I think is the perfect setting.
>The Forever War
Good. Perfect length for what it's trying to do.
> Red Mars
Haven't read it
>Brave New World
Essential reading for the ideas. Not a good novel
>>
>>7595892

keep telling yourself that you pleb
>>
>>7595892
This man is smart. Be like this man.
>>
>>7595938
I actually form my opinions on things different to marketing tricks such as 'fantasy' versus 'literary fiction'.
>>
>>7593051
>1) Dune
Nice
>2) The Book of the New Sun
Nice
>3) The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
Idk
>4) The Thought Reader
Idk
>5) The Dispossessed
Idk
>6) Hyperion
Gay
>7) Neuromancer
Really nice
>8) The Stars My Destination
Idk
>9) The Man In High Castle
Pretty Nice
>10) Use if Weapon
Idk
>11) The Foundation Trilogy
Okay
>12) 2001: A Space Odyssey
Nice
>13) The Forever War
Idk
>14) Red Mars
Idk
>15) Brave New World
Nice
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.