[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I read this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: 71DgPQAEnFL.jpg (147 KB, 1051x1877) Image search: [Google]
71DgPQAEnFL.jpg
147 KB, 1051x1877
I first heard about this book in 2012 when my Mom had told me about it, but I haven't been interested to read it til now.

Should I read it?
and, Is it any good?
>>
Yes
Yes
>>
It's shit. Read Brave New world.
>>
>>7591612
Better yet, read them both
>>
>>7591602
Yes. It's quite good.
>>7591617
Also this
>>
>>7591612
>>7591602
>>7591617

It's all shit, read We (in Russian of course) instead.
>>
It's ok. Read it if you've any interest in literature.

>I first heard about this book in 2012 when my Mom had told me about it, but I haven't been interested to read it til now.
I'm guessing this thread is bait, though.

>>7591612
I think 1984 is better but they're also both equally weak and worth reading.
>>
Start with the greeks
>>
>>7591642
This thread is not bait, I'm genuinely wondering if I should read it
>>
You can read it in like a day or two, just do it retard
>>
>>7591638
I gave a handful of my non-AP/Honors sophomores We to read as an optional text, before ever touching the usual dystopia staples (other than F451)... their brains melted, it's a hard to follow book if you're not used to how batshit weird the genre can get.
>>
>>7591666
I'm surprised you hadn't heard of 1984 until 2012 is all. Sure though, if you're interested in literature it's a pretty significant work, even if not it's a big piece of today's popular culture and public consciousness. Its impact is due largely to its simplicity though. Take that as you will I guess.
>>
>>7591666
1984 is a staple teen book. /lit/ gives it shit because it makes them feel badass, but it's an incredibly important piece of 20th century literature and I've seen very few people reject it. It has one of the best final acts of anything I've ever read.
>>
>>7591666
1984 is at least in the top 20 books everyone should read.
/lit/ards will call everything shit because they think it's funny.
>>
>>7591602
Read it because a friend wouldn't shut up about how much he loved it

First part is good, Orwell does a good job of conveying the grim atmosphere
Second part involving Julia is tedious and boring. It reads very much like a fantasy Orwell has about young women
Third part about the 'true state of the world' is really interesting and thought provoking
Fourth part is great and fucks with your mind

It's easy to see why so many schools get students to read this. It helps you think about thinking.

8/10
>>
>>7591602
The writing was plain, but not in the negative way. The story is fantastic. Well worth the read. I think I liked the part where the mc is trying to truly live in the apartment above the antique shop the best. It just melded into the story and a certain yearning of escapism.
>>
"Fiction for non-fiction readers"
I find Orwell to be slow, very slow, usually don't enjoy his work until I finish the last line, then I love it.
>>
>>7591602

Yes it's a classic, and one of my favourite novels. The writing itself is not as sophisticated as some other works, and others here may criticize it for being boring or slow but it's really worth the read.
>>
>>7591679

You are a teacher??? That's awesome. Would you recommend it? I hear it's all paper work and parents are an absolute nightmare.
>>
>>7591602
It's really short, and worth reading, anyway
>>
>>7591602
>1984
>brave new world
>Fahrenheit 451
read them all anon
>>
>>7591602

>2012
>Needing to 'hear' about 1984

I never degrade myself to the point of spewing 'back to reddit' memes but honestly OP, you are the most underage cuck I've come across on this board so far.
>>
I've seen the flick but haven't read the novel. Will the impact be lessened at all?
>>
>>7591602
Read it, it's essential for a reason, and then you can move onto real literature.

s-s-s-sorry, george ;_;
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.