[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do publishers always put pictures of philosophers on their
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5
File: david-hume-11[1].jpg (95 KB, 900x750) Image search: [Google]
david-hume-11[1].jpg
95 KB, 900x750
Why do publishers always put pictures of philosophers on their seminal works from when they were older?

This pic graces many-a-cover of A Treatise on Human Nature.
>>
File: Painting_of_David_Hume[1].jpg (218 KB, 461x567) Image search: [Google]
Painting_of_David_Hume[1].jpg
218 KB, 461x567
>>7590919
But he was actually in his twenties when he wrote the thing, and probably would have looked something more swag like this.
>>
>>7590919
Because that man is the very essence of patrician.
>>
File: Schopenhauer[1].jpg (34 KB, 198x282) Image search: [Google]
Schopenhauer[1].jpg
34 KB, 198x282
>>7590925
And what about this gremlin looking motherfucker? This pic graces the cover of the common Payne translation of his masterpiece World as Will and Representation.
>>
desu hes dressed like jerry the king lawler in one and a black housemaid in another
>>
>>7590919
>>7590925
He looks so damn smug.
>>
>>7590925
I like his pink shower cap.
>>
File: schopenhauer[1].jpg (30 KB, 330x258) Image search: [Google]
schopenhauer[1].jpg
30 KB, 330x258
>>7590928
But we wasn't even thirty when he wrote his opus, and would have looked like this here beautiful man. I'd let young Shoppy fuck me in the ass.
>>
>>7590928
That man's face teaches you everything you need to know about life. Keep a copy of it on you at all times so if there's ever a cafeteria shooting you can take it out and be immediately relieved of any uncertainties.
>>
File: 1430406580086.png (775 KB, 715x535) Image search: [Google]
1430406580086.png
775 KB, 715x535
>>7590919
>tfw you will never play backgammon and drink wine with Hume
>tfw you will never gently probe him with epistemological questions only to be rebuffed because he came to the bar to get away from all of that
>tfw you will never tuck Hume into bed one night and read him select passages from An Essay Concerning Human Understanding as he mutters sweet nothings which defy causal understanding
>>
>>7590939
This. Why lift when it's all about the face?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.